PDA

View Full Version : Installing Rotors and Pads

Ruby
16th April 2011, 09:49 AM
Hi Guys,

Just about to do my rotors all 4 corners. Will attack the rears today; look simple enough and will give me the confidence to do the fronts later. Any pointers welcomed. Have the factory manual at hand.

Rotors are DBA slotted variants and I'm going to try the QFM as they seem to get a very good rap from the rev head and rally communities (WRX and HSV forums). If the QFM are do/don't work out, then I'll at least have something to report to you guys.

I got all 4 rotors from Ebay for $350 - now wait before you roll your eyes or alarm bells ring. The ebay seller has a special arrangement with DBA and they actually hold the stock for him - I picked up the stock from DBA factory at Silverwater in Sydney - you can't get more confidence than that.

Wish me luck

TOOR

growler2058
16th April 2011, 09:52 AM
Take photos before you pull apart even if u got the manual sometimes a photo speaks a thousand words as they say. Good luck you'll be right

Ruby
16th April 2011, 09:55 AM
Thought of that already so that I would be able to put up incase anyone asks for that in future. Saw the photos from Tony doing the CV and they were fantastic.

Thanks for reminder

TOOR

HippoNZ
16th April 2011, 10:24 AM
One thing that I cocked up is I didn't attache the brake hose properly, I had it twisted up a bit too much which then the brakes didn't work to well on the side and ended up splitting the hose. So thats my we tip of the day lol
goodluck
Brett

my third 256
16th April 2011, 10:45 AM
do one side at a time and watch the fluid level in the resevoir you dont want it to overflow
when you compress the pistons
clean main bolt and regrease

Silver
16th April 2011, 10:48 AM
don't wash the rubber slider boots in kero or petrol, they will swell up (and eventually shrink back). If they are split you may be able to super glue them back together.

Ruby
20th April 2011, 08:28 AM
All went well. The Slotted Rotors are quite apart from hard braking ( noticed it in the bedding in process). Even then the noise is just annoying, just noticable. I'm very happy with the braking performance, but hard to gauge considering how worn the previous pads were and I haven't down the front brakes yet.

Silver
20th April 2011, 01:18 PM
All went well. The Slotted Rotors are quite apart from hard braking ( noticed it in the bedding in process). Even then the noise is just annoying, just noticable. I'm very happy with the braking performance, but hard to gauge considering how worn the previous pads were and I haven't down the front brakes yet.

they might improve in the hardness dept as they continue to bed in - or maybe I just got used to my new rotors and linings :-)

Ruby
25th April 2011, 02:27 PM
A week later and extremely happy. You were right about the bedding in process, the harshness when hard braking has disappeared. Anyone interested in the details for getting the rotors, just PM me.