PDA

View Full Version : Do GU's run the OBD2?

taslucas
28th April 2016, 08:55 PM
Do GU's run the OBD2 plug/software?

>>>tappin from tassie

the evil twin
28th April 2016, 09:04 PM
Sort of... the Di's aren't fully compliant but the CRD's are.

Maxhead
28th April 2016, 09:09 PM
all the 3l will have OBDII plug but CRD and DI use different protocols.
Not sure with the 4.2 and 4.8

What you tying to do?

jay see
28th April 2016, 09:09 PM
I've got the grey plug, can't remember what it's called, this the 14 pin one.

I've used a cheap WiFi obd2 on the wife's VE commo, without any issues. Would like to do the same with the Patrol.
However mines a early series 1.

taslucas
28th April 2016, 09:15 PM
I'm not trying to do anything on a Patrol but I bought a cheap Bluetooth plug for my commy after reading up on an Ls1 forum. I also bought the android app called Torque and just had a little go with it. Looks like it'll work really well and the guys off the ls1 forum were having a lot of success with the same setup. If it works as well on a Patrol then I'd say it's a great investment and at $15 for the plug and $5 for the full app it's a very cheap alternative to a scan guage or equivalent

>>>tappin from tassie

the evil twin
28th April 2016, 09:22 PM
I've got the grey plug, can't remember what it's called, this the 14 pin one.

I've used a cheap WiFi obd2 on the wife's VE commo, without any issues. Would like to do the same with the Patrol.
However mines a early series 1.

99% chance it won't work.

Something to do with a particular character or somesuch missing in the OBD11, probably deliberately by Nissan.
It meant that Consult works but generic OBD11 didn't until Series 5 or later (not sure about TB48's)

taslucas
28th April 2016, 09:27 PM
A couple of mates have GU's so I'll give it a go. I'm not up with the series but one is a 98 2.8 and the others are around 2002-4 3lts

>>>tappin from tassie

jay see
28th April 2016, 09:35 PM
I'm not trying to do anything on a Patrol but I bought a cheap Bluetooth plug for my commy after reading up on an Ls1 forum. I also bought the android app called Torque and just had a little go with it. Looks like it'll work really well and the guys off the ls1 forum were having a lot of success with the same setup. If it works as well on a Patrol then I'd say it's a great investment and at $15 for the plug and $5 for the full app it's a very cheap alternative to a scan guage or equivalent

>>>tappin from tassie
I managed to fault find an o2 sensor after an engine light came up, even down to which one out of the 4.

I like this better than a scan gauge because it's mobile and it works well, oh and it cheap as....

99% chance it won't work.

Something to do with a particular character or somesuch missing in the OBD11, probably deliberately by Nissan.
It meant that Consult works but generic OBD11 didn't until Series 5 or later (not sure about TB48's)

Yep, your right, even brought a adapter cable to suit the two different plugs and still no good.

taslucas
28th April 2016, 09:46 PM
Yeah it appears you can do a lot with the commy. The logging feature looks good

>>>tappin from tassie

jay see
28th April 2016, 10:13 PM
A couple of mates have GU's so I'll give it a go. I'm not up with the series but one is a 98 2.8 and the others are around 2002-4 3lts

>>>tappin from tassie

Be sure to report back.

And if you can cast your phone to your radio, you left it plugged in and have live information.

trekster
28th April 2016, 10:37 PM

>>>tappin from tassie

I run an obd2 bluetooth adapter and torque on my android headunit in my 2012 Patrol, Use it to monitor speed, fuel rail pressure, water temp etc.

Works really well.

jay see
28th April 2016, 10:49 PM
I run an obd2 bluetooth adapter and torque on my android headunit in my 2012 Patrol, Use it to monitor speed, fuel rail pressure, water temp etc.

Works really well.

That is exactly what I want to do, but I haven't yet found a way to do it with mine.:banghead:

taslucas
29th April 2016, 07:51 AM
Be sure to report back.

And if you can cast your phone to your radio, you left it plugged in and have live information.
I don't get that bit? All the info is live.

There's a guy on the ls forum that has combined dash cam, gps and torque information to end up with a gps pinned video with map and gauge overlay on it. Pretty tricky!

>>>tappin from tassie

jay see
29th April 2016, 08:15 AM
I don't get that bit? All the info is live.

There's a guy on the ls forum that has combined dash cam, gps and torque information to end up with a gps pinned video with map and gauge overlay on it. Pretty tricky!

>>>tappin from tassie

If you leave the BT unit plugged in always and your phone and radio are compatible you can mirror what's on your phone to the radio. Even better if the radio supports apps, run the torque app straight out the radio.

It's endless what can be done now.

taslucas
29th April 2016, 08:22 AM
Ahh yep I get you now. I have installed the app on my old phone which has a very big screen so that can be dedicated to the app. Apparently the plugs chew a bit of power if left in continuously.
Which app were you using?

>>>tappin from tassie

jay see
29th April 2016, 08:32 AM
Ahh yep I get you now. I have installed the app on my old phone which has a very big screen so that can be dedicated to the app. Apparently the plugs chew a bit of power if left in continuously.
Which app were you using?

>>>tappin from tassie

Same. Torque, but the lite version found that it was enough to find the fault and reset it.

Really would like to be able to use it in the Patrol.

GeeYou8
29th April 2016, 08:36 AM
I have a Jaycar wifi one, i originally bought the blue tooth one but could not get it to work so took it back & swapped it. I bought it to fault find the Hyundai & plugged it into the 'troll (GU8), using the free app I could look at many parameters. I made the mistake of leaving it plugged in & flattened the battery when the car was not used for 3 weeks.
Graham

taslucas
29th April 2016, 10:22 AM
I lashed out the whole 5 bucks for the pro version straight up lol.
My plug was from a Melbourne seller and cost 15 bucks. Logged data on the drive to work today and emailed it to myself.
I can open the spreadsheet but the other two files are .kml files. I think they're to do with the google maps stuff. What opens them?

>>>tappin from tassie

gubigfish
29th April 2016, 02:55 PM
I lashed out the whole 5 bucks for the pro version straight up lol.
My plug was from a Melbourne seller and cost 15 bucks. Logged data on the drive to work today and emailed it to myself.
I can open the spreadsheet but the other two files are .kml files. I think they're to do with the google maps stuff. What opens them?

>>>tappin from tassie

Try Google earth

the evil twin
29th April 2016, 03:34 PM
Try Google earth

Yep... the .kml file should open in Google Earth and show you the track you took (as a series of points IIRC)

NissanGQ4.2
29th April 2016, 03:42 PM
Try Google earth

>>>tappin from tassie

gubigfish and ET are correct, Google Earth opens KML files, if you are using an android phone version of google earth I believe you have to upload the KML file 2 Google Drive and download it via it. If using pc that has google earth installed you should just be able 2 double click the file in windows explorer and it will open google earth and load it into the temp folder

taslucas
29th April 2016, 05:08 PM
Yeah cool I'll download google earth on the work puta and give it a look.
Not that I really need to see my drive to work

>>>tappin from tassie