PDA

View Full Version : Changing GQ Gearbox

speedway
14th April 2011, 01:33 PM
I am about to replace the gearbox and clutch in my GQ ute Any tips, hints or tricks would be appreciated.
Keith.

growler2058
14th April 2011, 02:01 PM
Gday Kieth someone with the knowledge will get to you. My understanding is that they are bloody heavy and its been suggested to use an engine hoist to assist in removal and replacement.

Silver
14th April 2011, 02:03 PM
obtain a couple of long bolts with the same thread as the bell housing bolts, remove the heads, slot the ends for a screwdriver or grind a couple of flats for a shifter.

Install these prior to reinstalling the gearbox - you can use them to help align everything prior to bolting up. I just used some cheapies from the hardware shop that happened to have the right thread.

Consider replacing all the clutch related stuff that may need replacing while you have it apart, spigot bearing/bush, gearbox input shaft seal, throwout race, yoke and pivot, etc.

Looking at another thread here on a related topic, be sure to eat a hearty carnivorous breakfast, esp if several cans were consumed the night before :-)

Silver
14th April 2011, 02:05 PM
Gday Kieth someone with the knowledge will get to you. My understanding is that they are bloody heavy and its been suggested to use an engine hoist to assist in removal and replacement.

did that with the mate's G60. removed the seats and doors, and the panel in the floor, and suspended to box on an engine crane. On my MQ slid it under on a trolley jack. It had the remote transfer case, so that bit was easier :-)

timbar
14th April 2011, 02:11 PM
yeah the Gearbox I found is a bitch to get back in. aftter i undone all the bolts for the gearbox it just about fell onto the ground ! But when i went to put it back in there is no room in the floorpan to move it around i ended up panel beating the floor pan arond the bell housing area to get mine back in wasnt much fun at all then on my second patrol when i done the clutch on that one someone else had already done it for me lol so must be a common problem ...........

YNOT
14th April 2011, 06:33 PM
Removing the transfer case makes the job a bit easier, and lighter. Using the engine lift crane in through the front door is the safest way, you don't want that gearbox rolling off the jack.

Tony

Ben-e-boy
14th April 2011, 07:05 PM
I agree with tony that gear box assembly weighs close to 200kg. if it falls off the jack or worse on someone there will be trouble

daz44b
14th April 2011, 09:52 PM
i take seats out and steering wheel off made a a frame that sits on the floor use a chain block off that, heaps easier daz

YNOT
14th April 2011, 10:03 PM
i take seats out and steering wheel off made a a frame that sits on the floor use a chain block off that, heaps easier daz

Now that's good thinking.

Tony

Finly Owner
14th April 2011, 10:45 PM
Jeez you guys have never use a transmission jack have yas'? They raise high enough to let gear box down, they have a tilt pump, swiveling plate, and safety chains to secure box on top to stop it rolling off. Once let down as high as trolley jack. Hire one for job about $50 for day.

Tim
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/22.jpg

YNOT
14th April 2011, 11:07 PM
I keep forgetting about those gearbox jacks, probably because I've never used one. Much safer than a standard trolley jack.

Tony

speedway
14th April 2011, 11:11 PM
Thank you all for your tips and advise. I had heard that the main problem was getting the box back in as the starter motor bulge fowls the floor and was told by one mechanic that they cut another hole in the floor to create the extra clearance then weld flat strap round the edges and screw the plate back in. Also I am replacing the full clutch assembly at the same time as it has done at least 370.000K's. The gearbox started jumping out of 4th gear and then started locking up in reverse, so $880 for a gearbox and $440 for a clutch kit on the pension I have to fit it myself. Re the gearbox jack I have made my own as there is nowhere to hire one from within 2-300 k"s of here at least
Keith.

YNOT
14th April 2011, 11:26 PM
You don't need to cut the floor, just massage it a bit.

Tony

Finly Owner
14th April 2011, 11:50 PM
I keep forgetting about those gearbox jacks, probably because I've never used one. Much safer than a standard trolley jack.

Tony
Next time you offer to help do a box, I'll get jack for you and you try it out. I bet you buy one after that.

timbar
15th April 2011, 12:56 AM
just a little panel beating is all u need i did mine on the side of the road no jack just 3 blokes and a whole load of effort i blew my clutch 50km out of town in the country

speedway
16th April 2011, 02:58 PM
Finally got the box out (I'm getting too old for this), found the problem (see photos). The clutch was just starting to polish the rivets so the gearbox would have had to come out soon anyway. The box I got has a different bell housing (smaller s/motor and I guess this is from a petrol Patrol, (I hope that's the only difference).
Keith.
PS the No. plate is photoshop.

growler2058
16th April 2011, 03:23 PM
Well done BIG HEAVY MUTHA ay

daz44b
16th April 2011, 03:33 PM
Thank you all for your tips and advise. I had heard that the main problem was getting the box back in as the starter motor bulge fowls the floor and was told by one mechanic that they cut another hole in the floor to create the extra clearance then weld flat strap round the edges and screw the plate back in. Also I am replacing the full clutch assembly at the same time as it has done at least 370.000K's. The gearbox started jumping out of 4th gear and then started locking up in reverse, so $880 for a gearbox and $440 for a clutch kit on the pension I have to fit it myself. Re the gearbox jack I have made my own as there is nowhere to hire one from within 2-300 k"s of here at least
Keith.

make it easies with a body lift daz

Silver
16th April 2011, 07:10 PM
mechanic mate of mine used to wriggle out from under Bedford trucks with the box of cogs on his chest!!! Mightier man than me :-)

speedway
16th April 2011, 11:09 PM
I used to do that too, 15+ years ago though.
Keith.

Patrolute4x4
17th April 2011, 06:34 PM
Nice thread