PDA

View Full Version : Better fuel economy zd30

landy96
19th April 2016, 11:16 AM
How do i get better fuel economy.
I have just replaced my engine with a used one and fitted a dawes and needle valve egr block catch can egt and boost gauge .. used motor came with reco injector pump nothing else . Used all original parts from before. Before swap over . Highway travel
600ks to 3/4 tank
500ks to 3/4 tank towing
Now getting
500ks to 3/4 tank
400ks to 3/4 tank towing
Which way do i go with needle and dawes valve ?
Set to 18 psi max boost bounces to 20 for a second . Can the injector pump be adjusted still in car (and can i get a mechanical pump not using computer ? )
2002 gu zd30 auto

threedogs
19th April 2016, 12:09 PM
Not much you can do its only a 3ltr,
what tyres have you got?
What tyre pressures do you run?
Do you have a roof rack?
18psi is high but acheivable
Has this motor had the intake cleaned?
too many questions imo

4bye4
19th April 2016, 12:29 PM
I am no expert on these at all but I have noticed on our work vehicles, a Kia Truck, Vito van and Pregio van, that different injector pumps change the engine characteristics completely. Another thing affecting ltrs per hundred can be leaking or blocked exhausts. as I say i am not an expert but just offering as a starting point as you said you have a new motor with a reco injector pump.

threedogs
19th April 2016, 01:38 PM
I might add do you have the original intercooler if so its more than
likely leaking and in need for a tigged one, Your old motor was pushing
very good figures, I get very similar.
Plus check all the vacuum hoses they could be cracked and brittle if OE..
no 2 motor are the same but I think you can get similar figures with a few tweaks

landy96
19th April 2016, 09:29 PM
Same tyres same roofrack same intakepipes new larger tigged intercooler new maf sensor .goes into limp mode just before fully warmed up no other time ??

Ronin
20th April 2016, 09:50 AM
Some guys have reported that changing the fuel rail pressure relief valve has improved the economy considerably. The initial symptom is it takes a few tries to start a hot engine.

threedogs
20th April 2016, 10:04 AM
Bummer but hate to say it but that newer motor is not as good as the one it replaced.
No two motors are never the same eh You may need to Tune this motor to suit the way
its set up. Go get a Dyno is all I can say that will get the best from what you have IMO

landy96
2nd May 2016, 10:01 AM
Where is the cheapest place in brisbane southside for a dyno

BigRAWesty
2nd May 2016, 10:57 AM
So those figures are a pita..
Throw some actual k/L figures so we can fully understand..
By the sounds of your rig and being an auto 13-15L/ 100k is not unreasonable.

Not sure how much can be tuned on the zd30 as its majority ecu controlled..

Did you reset the ecu once the maf went in?

landy96
2nd May 2016, 11:34 AM
Ecu was reset
Landy96 is abit slow but
Lost 100ks per tank after bare motor swap . No leaks new welded intercooler

LostBenji
18th May 2016, 07:45 PM
Hey Landy, can you put up full specs, too much guessing as you haven't supplied much.

What is the L/100 really? kays to 3/4 tank is way too raw and not accurate. Fill tank, reset odometer to 0, drive till low fuel light comes on then fill again and note litres used. Now report back.

Auto's will chew more than manuals. if you lost economy with swap, you got something wrong somewhere, time to visit and diesel mechanic who has a pump-bench.