PDA

View Full Version : Snorkels

kemsafe@bigpond.com
14th April 2011, 11:50 AM
I have been advised to fit a snorkel to my 4.2 deisel when crossing the simpson
Any one can tell me what type I should get or are they really nescerary?
Reg

Bigrig
14th April 2011, 12:00 PM
What type wouldn't be so much the concern mate - that comes down to budget and looks - they all (reputable brands) do essentially the same thing so a no brainer on that one. Where you'll get conjecture is the topic of "are they really necessary". Probably a better question (because no, they aren't "necessary") is "what is the benefits of fitting one". That's probably going to be more unanimous across the answers. The benefits of fitting one are better air flow, the air intake sits higher and there is better ability for the snorkel to allow the engine to breath fresher cooler air that is being forcibly rammed down the air intake (so it's said - but having been out there, the dust is just as thick at 6 feet above the road as it is at 3 feet above the road, so that argument is a bit subjective!!). I found I got better fuel economy also (only slight) with the snorkel, and the obvious winner is being able to traverse deeper water without the fear of hydro locking your engine (will need diffs, transfer case and gearbox breathers all round for this also).

I don't know that it is absolutely necessary to have one for the simpson trip and that should raise a few examples from people also, but it is not a bad addition to the vehicle in general mate for a range of reasons, and even just to give you peace of mind for the trip also!

Good luck with the decision and no doubt others will throw up their two cents worth shortly ....

growler2058
14th April 2011, 12:05 PM
As big rig stated the benefits are there, if your travelling in a "convoy" even two up stay back from the vehicle infront to clear the air of thick heavy bulldust give your snorkel a chance to do its job

rkinsey
14th April 2011, 12:14 PM
I think you have covered all arguments. For me, I would install one just as a matter of course. You never know what you are going to come accross with a trip like this so following the boy scout code of "Be Prepared" is probably a good idea.

I believe in travelling light but I also balance that with equipment you may need out in the wild. Also, what hapens if you come accross someone out there that needs your help and you dont have simple tools......

Cheers,

Rob

HippoNZ
14th April 2011, 12:16 PM
Snorkels are great in general to have regardless of where your journey takes you. They a better for your engine in the long run. If your crossing dusty roads then some snorkels have filters in them also, helps catch bits and pieces before it reaches your main filter. I've heard also you can get better fuel economy from a snorkel. I don't know what the simpson is like so couldn't advise on that one but some one will be able to tell.

Cheers

timbar
14th April 2011, 03:05 PM
What type wouldn't be so much the concern mate - that comes down to budget and looks - they all (reputable brands) do essentially the same thing so a no brainer on that one. Where you'll get conjecture is the topic of "are they really necessary". Probably a better question (because no, they aren't "necessary") is "what is the benefits of fitting one". That's probably going to be more unanimous across the answers. The benefits of fitting one are better air flow, the air intake sits higher and there is better ability for the snorkel to allow the engine to breath fresher cooler air that is being forcibly rammed down the air intake (so it's said - but having been out there, the dust is just as thick at 6 feet above the road as it is at 3 feet above the road, so that argument is a bit subjective!!). I found I got better fuel economy also (only slight) with the snorkel, and the obvious winner is being able to traverse deeper water without the fear of hydro locking your engine (will need diffs, transfer case and gearbox breathers all round for this also).

I don't know that it is absolutely necessary to have one for the simpson trip and that should raise a few examples from people also, but it is not a bad addition to the vehicle in general mate for a range of reasons, and even just to give you peace of mind for the trip also!

Good luck with the decision and no doubt others will throw up their two cents worth shortly ....

Well Said Big Rig maybe AB could Help out with this one check out this thread

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2600-AB-s-new-GQ-is-finally-here&p=60275&viewfull=1#post60275

Maxhead
14th April 2011, 10:54 PM
G'Day and welcome mate

Finly Owner
14th April 2011, 11:24 PM
One thing no one has offerewd is, you can turn head of snorkel to face rear, to stop dust being driven into snorkel, and air intake will pull in what air it needs.

Tim

patch697
3rd May 2011, 06:56 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul

chrissey
22nd May 2011, 06:28 PM
Hi all,

just reading this thread as I am about to get a snorkel fitted to my Safari. Now I read you would need "diffs, transfer case and gearbox breathers" fitted as well, what does that mean? Is a snorkel nonsense without having those things fitted as well and doing e.g a water crossing? Obviously you wont drown your engine if your diffs, or gearbox fails but still it will prevent you from carrying on travelling and cause cost intensive repairs, right?

Bigrig
22nd May 2011, 06:35 PM
Hi all,

just reading this thread as I am about to get a snorkel fitted to my Safari. Now I read you would need "diffs, transfer case and gearbox breathers" fitted as well, what does that mean? Is a snorkel nonsense without having those things fitted as well and doing e.g a water crossing? Obviously you wont drown your engine if your diffs, or gearbox fails but still it will prevent you from carrying on travelling and cause cost intensive repairs, right?

Hey Chris

The snorkel itself still allows cool air to be 'rammed' into the engine and hence is still a benefit, but yes, a bit pointless without the breathers. The diffs, transfer and gearbox all need the breathers extended to avoid water damage if doing crossings. That damage is expensive generally, so the breathers are more than worth it - if you're doing it yourself, you'd pick up a kit for around $100, or be looking a close to double that to have someone do them for you. The front diff may already be up in the wheel arch, and the rear above the rear crossmember, so it's only an extension of the rear and installation of the other two!

Good luck.

growler2058
22nd May 2011, 06:36 PM
Its good to get the breathers extended. If your diffs,, box transfer are hot when you cross water they can suck water in through the seals. they are easy to do yourself and are another good precautionary measure

chrissey
22nd May 2011, 06:49 PM
Hi Bigrig&Growlers,

thanks for the information, great how you learn some important stuff on this forum everyday.
Did my first oil&filter change today and like the fact I can change it myself every 5000k now just by some reading in the forum before taking it to the garage to have the job done, great!
I just had a quick look how to extend the breathers and I am optimistic to maybe do it without help. I just read an article about that you never have enough money for the 4wd set up&gear you would like to have haha so true, but I reckon those things still belong to the necessary things that need to be done b4 we start traveling.

cheers guys

chris

growler2058
22nd May 2011, 07:06 PM
You could stop before water crossings to let everything cool down but what a pain in the arse, someone here shouild be able to give good direction on how to diy it

Bigrig
22nd May 2011, 07:12 PM
Hi Bigrig&Growlers,

thanks for the information, great how you learn some important stuff on this forum everyday.
Did my first oil&filter change today and like the fact I can change it myself every 5000k now just by some reading in the forum before taking it to the garage to have the job done, great!
I just had a quick look how to extend the breathers and I am optimistic to maybe do it without help. I just read an article about that you never have enough money for the 4wd set up&gear you would like to have haha so true, but I reckon those things still belong to the necessary things that need to be done b4 we start traveling.

cheers guys

chris

Good stuff - think of the dollars you'll save doing simple things like oil etc yourself!! Good on ya mate!!

chrissey
22nd May 2011, 08:48 PM
Hi Bigrig yeah so right, and actually i am kinda enyoing to know as much as I can about my Safari/Patrol and really enjoy it! Before I take this thread too far off topic just one more question, might be a dumb one but does every GQ come with diffs? If so should you be able to engage them, just because I havent got much of an idea so far how diffs exactly work.
Thanks a lot guys..
Chris

Bigrig
22nd May 2011, 08:55 PM
Hi Bigrig yeah so right, and actually i am kinda enyoing to know as much as I can about my Safari/Patrol and really enjoy it! Before I take this thread too far off topic just one more question, might be a dumb one but does every GQ come with diffs? If so should you be able to engage them, just because I havent got much of an idea so far how diffs exactly work.
Thanks a lot guys..
Chris

They all have diffs mate (not a dumb question - no such thing on here!). It is the large round shaped housing on the centre (ish) of each axle. The manual hubs (assuming you have manual) in the centre of the front wheels are what you would 'lock in' to lock position before engaging 4wd. Have a look in the centre of the front wheels and there should be a FREE and LOCK position - if it's a large nut instead of a swivel that is moveable by hand, then they are auto hubs that lock automatically when you engage 4wd. If the swivel, then you twist it to lock on both wheels before 4wd'ing and then back to free on both wheels for on the road.

Where are you based? Would be a great idea to catch up with some members off here in your area and they can go through your rig specifically with you to show you through it - if you're around brissy, I'm more than happy to assist.

chrissey
22nd May 2011, 09:19 PM
They all have diffs mate (not a dumb question - no such thing on here!). It is the large round shaped housing on the centre (ish) of each axle. The manual hubs (assuming you have manual) in the centre of the front wheels are what you would 'lock in' to lock position before engaging 4wd. Have a look in the centre of the front wheels and there should be a FREE and LOCK position - if it's a large nut instead of a swivel that is moveable by hand, then they are auto hubs that lock automatically when you engage 4wd. If the swivel, then you twist it to lock on both wheels before 4wd'ing and then back to free on both wheels for on the road.

Where are you based? Would be a great idea to catch up with some members off here in your area and they can go through your rig specifically with you to show you through it - if you're around brissy, I'm more than happy to assist.

Ah yeah I know what housing you are talking about, I guess that is, when its hot it will suck water due to the difference in temperature when doing a river crossing etc..?! Oh mate that would be too good and so helpful! I am in Mooloolaba, only working Mon and Tues this week whenever it will suit you and maybe some other newbies?!? I will come down to Brizzie and get you a crade of your favourite lager if you and maybe some others can show me through the GQ!
It is an automatic so I guess it is engaged all the time? Sometimes when I do lets say a u-turn the steering wheel starts to vibrate more than usual, i thought it would be down to the power steering but I just had that fixed would you reckon the front diff is the issue? Cheers mate, well I dont know I am up for it as soon as you and some other board members are, maybe start a thread for ppl around the Brizzie area for a GQ mechanical catch up?

thanks,

chris

Bigrig
22nd May 2011, 09:29 PM
Ah yeah I know what housing you are talking about, I guess that is, when its hot it will suck water due to the difference in temperature when doing a river crossing etc..?! Oh mate that would be too good and so helpful! I am in Mooloolaba, only working Mon and Tues this week whenever it will suit you and maybe some other newbies?!? I will come down to Brizzie and get you a crade of your favourite lager if you and maybe some others can show me through the GQ!
It is an automatic so I guess it is engaged all the time? Sometimes when I do lets say a u-turn the steering wheel starts to vibrate more than usual, i thought it would be down to the power steering but I just had that fixed would you reckon the front diff is the issue? Cheers mate, well I dont know I am up for it as soon as you and some other board members are, maybe start a thread for ppl around the Brizzie area for a GQ mechanical catch up?

thanks,

chris

Vibrating when turning could be a number of things, but do make sure the hubs are in the FREE position. When I say auto hubs, that means they'll engage automatically when you select 4H and/or 4L on the transfer case gear lever (small one on the passenger side of the transmission stick). Think I may have confused you there!! :) - happy to meet up, but to save you a trip, a bunch of us are up at Landcruiser Mountain Park at Jimna this coming weekend - would it be easier for you to get there either Saturday or Sunday? Or come for the weekend and camp over? We can help you out with the rig and give you some pointers etc to help you out.

I can't do tomorrow, but good any time Tuesday after about 11am if you'd prefer that than Landcruiser. No need for the slab mate!! Thanks for the offer, but you're the one going out of your way, so honestly no need and happy to assist!!

Either way, be great to catch up. PM your mobile through to me and I'll shot my number back to organise whichever way you want to do it!

Cheers
Scotty