PDA

View Full Version : Cooper ST or STT

Cadbury
14th April 2011, 08:40 AM
Hi all,
I know I am going to start a fight here, but here goes.
I am looking at putting on a set of 285/75/16 on my GU and was wondering should I go ST or STT and why.
Cheers
Cadbury

YNOT
14th April 2011, 08:53 AM
What sort of driving are you going to be doing and do you run 2 sets of wheels?
S/T's are 50/50 onroad/offroad and the STT's are 20/80 onroad/offroad.

Tony

growler2058
14th April 2011, 09:05 AM
What sort of driving are you going to be doing and do you run 2 sets of wheels?
S/T's are 50/50 onroad/offroad and the STT's are 20/80 onroad/offroad.

Tony

x2 depends what you application will be........in the looks department go the STT but then why not go Micket T mtz they come from the same place

timbar
14th April 2011, 10:30 PM
well i had cooper atr and they were absolute sh@t in the wet road after 12mths but then a gain i got 350,000kms out of them but no one beleives me not even the tyre place that took them off 305x70x16 cooper ATR never had any problems off road though dont know if this helps u at all but my opinion i am running 275x75x16 KL78 Kumho no problems on or off wet or dry

MudRunnerTD
15th April 2011, 04:29 PM
Yep! that's an easy one...... buy something else!

big_fletch
15th April 2011, 04:33 PM
Yep! that's an easy one...... buy something else!

Yep ill second that, my father has run st and mates have run stt. They all said they would never buy them again

gec
15th April 2011, 06:12 PM
Can not agree with that, I have run both STT and ST [currently] as have my brothers both of whom have purchased another set, I know they come from the same factory but judging by a mates experience I wouldn't get the Micky Ts

Bigrig
15th April 2011, 06:33 PM
Cadbury - have a look see tomorrow and a chat with a few at the BBQ. I've got Mickey T's and I'm stoked with them and I've had STT's previously and wasn't overly impressed - Sandra has them on hers now! My biggest issue with them was on the black stuff - mostly the noise as they wore down (although Sandra's aren't as noisy as mine funnily enough), and the traction in the wet (as you are on bitumen far more than on the dirt). My old man had a set of ST's and did a trip to the Kimberley's on them and swore he'd never have a set again - they chipped up badly and didn't wear overly well in his opinion.

Everyone will have a different opinion mate, but you need to weigh up your uses, your driving style, etc, etc - all the tyres are good in themselves, but everyone's road conditions, expectations, etc is what varies ....

Now .... where's that hornets nest I just stirred up? LOL!!!!!

growler2058
15th April 2011, 06:42 PM
Cadbury - have a look see tomorrow and a chat with a few at the BBQ. I've got Mickey T's and I'm stoked with them and I've had STT's previously and wasn't overly impressed - Sandra has them on hers now! My biggest issue with them was on the black stuff - mostly the noise as they wore down (although Sandra's aren't as noisy as mine funnily enough), and the traction in the wet (as you are on bitumen far more than on the dirt). My old man had a set of ST's and did a trip to the Kimberley's on them and swore he'd never have a set again - they chipped up badly and didn't wear overly well in his opinion.

Everyone will have a different opinion mate, but you need to weigh up your uses, your driving style, etc, etc - all the tyres are good in themselves, but everyone's road conditions, expectations, etc is what varies ....

Now .... where's that hornets nest I just stirred up? LOL!!!!!

BUZZZZZZZ BuZZZZZZZZZZZZ actually kinda agree but a bit of a fence rider. Had ST's on a Jeep Cherokee couldnt fault em. Had em on a work hilux wore fast and unevenly could been wheel alignment. Two mates had em on troopys wore terribly,scalloped appearance. They wouldnt get again STT only heard of em being destroyed at Loveday so no real comment there. Good luck whichever way you go preserve your investment and rotate minimum every 10k

moo_r32
27th April 2011, 10:48 PM
my mate has a set of 35" stt's on his gu and swears by them..

kingy
28th April 2011, 01:30 PM
I have had ST's and for long life on Bitumen you couldn't go past them....got over 70K and still have at least 10k left, as for chipping yes they do if you are even remotely lazy with your tyre pressures. I found they don't chip anywhere near as bad if you adjust your pressures accordingly. But for the last 5k or so on the black stuff were a little unsettling in the wet so as they harden up they get a little slippery.

No running something completely different mainly due to cost and wanting to try some muddies.

Cheers

bordertech
13th March 2012, 09:11 PM
I agree kingy, I think chipping etc is more to do with incorrect tyre pressures for the terrain and how they're driven. No tyre is immune to chipping if they're not treated right.
I had 35" ST's on my Patrol when I bought it and I thought they would never wear out. Never had any chipping or lug tearing issues either.
Next set were 35" MTZ's, they clogged up worse in mud than the ST's :confused:
Current set are BigHorns, self clean better than the MTZ's hands down.
I'm going to try STT's next and see how they go.
I just like trying out different rubber

nissannewby
13th March 2012, 11:54 PM
It seems with the coopers you have to run higher pressures a bloke i work with swears by them too as he got 120 out of one set and has 90 on the current set but he runs them at 90psi. The st would be a better suited all round tyre as the stt are very offroad orientated. Have heard similar about them not being flash in the wet on the bitumen. I have said this in another topic but have a look at bfg km2's in that size i did a lot of research before purchasing the ones i put on my gu and found most people to be getting at least 80k out of them and from first hand experience these tyres are awesome to say the least handle well on the dry ans wet bitumen work great on the sand and the small amount of offroading i have done with them they have been also great.

Rod H
18th March 2012, 07:51 AM
I had a set of Coopere ATR's on my Patrol a couple of years ago and in IMHO they are bloody lethal on a wet road .
Was driving with my son to collect some gear from his house with my 8x4 trailer behind which was empty.
As we approached a left turn intersection he said " take that one ".and we were only doing about 50K and had a good distance before the normal turn off.
I put the brakes on firmly but not hard and the whole bloody rig just slid past the intersection with wheels locked up.
Frightened the hell out of us as we had no control until brakes were released.
No traction on the wet road at all and if it had been a vehicle avoidance manouvre I would have driven straight into another vehicle.
These tyres whilst great for plenty of Km's and off road are shocking in the wet on a normal road.
I went and changed them for Bridgestone ATR the next day and they are so much safer in my personal opinion.
Coopers !! Never again for me .

macca86
18th March 2012, 09:45 AM
90 psi wow I thought they would have burst! I run bfg AT's and they are great on road in the wet on the sand and bush tracks not so good in the mud mine are getting on in the km I've done 20k km and previous owner did 40k km still have 5mm of tread to wear bumps but started chipping on rock tracks now but still good for the sand and road

FullFlxd
19th March 2012, 10:50 PM
I bout the ST's a while back and was told that they are 40% on-road and 60% off-road. Had them on my MK and again on my GU. Haven't had any problems on sand or rock and they grip nicely on road. Have got sh!t from guys out on track but I don't see them going anywhere I couldnt. In my opinion compared with BFG's T/A which where crap!! slid out in the wet no grip in the mud and rock but good on sand (nice bulge) and cost more then the ST's.

Go the Cooper's just make sure you choose the right one for you travelling style!

Ponza
21st March 2012, 07:22 PM
I got 110,000k's out of a set of st's found them to be a good tyre, I have now replaced them with Toyo MT and have found them to be a very good tyre whether wet or dry.