PDA

View Full Version : Armidale 4wd tracks..

tiny
12th April 2016, 07:17 PM
Hi all,

I'm heading down to Armidale to see my 70 year old father and want to take him on some good 4wd tracks, I know there is a lot down there but with no prior knowledge I was hoping for some suggestions...

Pre requisets.. 2-3 hour round trip, not basic gravel roads (say moderate to medium )

Some nice scenery or a river to fish at? Not the 4wd park and something without locked gates..

It's a trusty Gq with lockers and lift... All the usual recovery gear and winch.

Thanks in advance

tiny
12th April 2016, 08:55 PM
Oops I posted in wrong state, could you move to nsw plz mods

the evil twin
12th April 2016, 09:26 PM
Oops I posted in wrong state, could you move to nsw plz mods

Thank God for that... Armadale over here is spelt with an A instead of an I and the only 4WD tracks are the ones the Prados use in the Woolies car park

tiny
13th April 2016, 06:32 AM
Hi all,

I'm heading down to Armidale to see my 70 year old father and want to take him on some good 4wd tracks, I know there is a lot down there but with no prior knowledge I was hoping for some suggestions...

Pre requisets.. 2-3 hour round trip, not basic gravel roads (say moderate to medium )

Some nice scenery or a river to fish at? Not the 4wd park and something without locked gates..

It's a trusty Gq with lockers and lift... All the usual recovery gear and winch.

Thanks in advance

Maybe I was too specific... Any decent track, trail from basic onwards... Not maintained forestry tracks and nice scenery... Don't need a fishing spot as plenty around..
Was thinking waterfall way (googles as cycling track) east Armidale to point lookout road? Anyone been there

VK2FMIA
13th April 2016, 12:45 PM
Maybe I was too specific... Any decent track, trail from basic onwards... Not maintained forestry tracks and nice scenery... Don't need a fishing spot as plenty around..
Was thinking waterfall way (googles as cycling track) east Armidale to point lookout road? Anyone been there

Hi Tiny, the Waterfall Way is a Highway. If you head about 35 km out the Waterfall Way you will come to the old Armidale-Kempsey Rd on your right, just over the Wollombi River bridge. Follow that for about 20 km & past the old forestry cabins there is a turn to the left onto Styx River Way. This will lead you to the Point Lookout Rd after about 20 km. Along Styx River Rd on the left is State Forest. Around 10 km in there is a turnoff to a campsite on the Styx River called Wattle Flat.

Not much water in the river, was there over Easter. The road past Point Lookout joins back onto the Waterfall Way.

The roads are not very challenging but it is a nice area to visit. You might be able to find a few tracks in the state forest to check out. Not too many places around Armidale that I know of for 4wding.

Sent from Windows 10 using mTalk

tiny
13th April 2016, 01:12 PM
Hi Tiny, the Waterfall Way is a Highway. If you head about 35 km out the Waterfall Way you will come to the old Armidale-Kempsey Rd on your right, just over the Wollombi River bridge. Follow that for about 20 km & past the old forestry cabins there is a turn to the left onto Styx River Way. This will lead you to the Point Lookout Rd after about 20 km. Along Styx River Rd on the left is State Forest. Around 10 km in there is a turnoff to a campsite on the Styx River called Wattle Flat.

Not much water in the river, was there over Easter. The road past Point Lookout joins back onto the Waterfall Way.

The roads are not very challenging but it is a nice area to visit. You might be able to find a few tracks in the state forest to check out. Not too many places around Armidale that I know of for 4wding.

Sent from Windows 10 using mTalk

Thanks mate, appreciate it 👍👍