PDA

View Full Version : Terrible idle on gas and petrol tb42e

Warnie
13th April 2011, 06:42 PM
Hey guys,

I was just driving 10 minutes ago, and decided to flick the patrol to petrol from gas, just to give her a run on petrol. As soon as I did it she began to die and was only putting a small amount of fuel in and I could hear clunking noises from under the foot well area. So I switched back to gas and all was fine for the next km until I had to stop. The car then started choking at idle, then hit 200 rpm and died. Luckily I was now home. I decided to try and start her up again on both petrol and gas and I had the same problem.

Am I right in thinking that as I don't use petrol often, gunk could have built up over time and have blocked my fuel filter, causing not much fuel to pass through at idle? If so, what do I need to do to clean the filter? Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks guys

Adam

my third 256
13th April 2011, 06:56 PM
flush tank out / replace filter / injectors could be blocked /put in injector cleaner and new fuel
once every 4 tanks of gas run half a tank of petrol through
this will help seals and gaskets from drying out
stephen

HippoNZ
13th April 2011, 06:56 PM
If you are right by the filter being clogged up, I am not aware of anything that cleans your filter. You would have to just replace it. Some others here though should be able to tell you

Cheers

YNOT
13th April 2011, 08:49 PM
Hey guys,

I was just driving 10 minutes ago, and decided to flick the patrol to petrol from gas, just to give her a run on petrol. As soon as I did it she began to die and was only putting a small amount of fuel in and I could hear clunking noises from under the foot well area. So I switched back to gas and all was fine for the next km until I had to stop. The car then started choking at idle, then hit 200 rpm and died. Luckily I was now home. I decided to try and start her up again on both petrol and gas and I had the same problem.Am I right in thinking that as I don't use petrol often, gunk could have built up over time and have blocked my fuel filter, causing not much fuel to pass through at idle? If so, what do I need to do to clean the filter? Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks guys

Adam

If the fault is occuring on both fuels then it is unlikely to be a fuel system fault, it will be something common to both fuels like ignition or exhaust.

Tony

Warnie
13th April 2011, 09:13 PM
It has only just started though Tony, as in when I put it from gas to petrol it started, and then continued when I put it back to gas.

Bigrig
13th April 2011, 09:37 PM
It has only just started though Tony, as in when I put it from gas to petrol it started, and then continued when I put it back to gas.

Or exactly what I had - faulty coolant temperature sensor - it did the same thing .... literally just started and then crapped out from there ... Mine was a mix of dying on petrol and over idling up and down all over the place on gas. For $45 or thereabouts, I'd be starting there - vacuum hoses also ... check for leaks/splits. I have tinkered with other things like the AAC, throttle body etc, but probably best to start from there and work though it. As Tony said, if it's happening on both fuels then it is something common to both (not filters, bad fuel, etc) - where are you based again?? I've got the Nissan Consult unit that plugs into your ECU and gives you all the error codes etc, so I can come down with that and help you out if that suits - would have to be tomorrow morning though as I have meetings all tomorrow arvo and Friday.

Good luck with it mate ...

Warnie
13th April 2011, 09:46 PM
Mate I am at Carina Heights, if you could come over and plug it in that would be great. Ill pm you my address.

Bigrig
13th April 2011, 10:01 PM
Mate I am at Carina Heights, if you could come over and plug it in that would be great. Ill pm you my address.

Righto - you home around 8:30am??

Warnie
13th April 2011, 10:21 PM
Yeah man ill be home

Bigrig
14th April 2011, 07:49 AM
Yeah man ill be home

See you in an hour or so ... let's see what we can't break!! LOL

Warnie
14th April 2011, 07:56 AM
Sounds good mate

Warnie
14th April 2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks again Scott, your were a great help

Bigrig
14th April 2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks again Scott, your were a great help

No worries mate - a bit of TLC and those air leaks fixed in a more permanent way, and it'll hum!!

jaxt
14th April 2011, 11:37 AM
when you coming around to do a consult consult on mine :)

Bigrig
14th April 2011, 11:44 AM
when you coming around to do a consult consult on mine :)

You could bring it over on Saturday arvo to the BBQ and we could do it then!! LOL ... just about to update the BBQ thread, as there is a few late starters and now there is about 20 people coming ... you are obviously more than welcome also mate - PM me your mobile if you're up for it, and I'll shoot you the details - we can throw the consult unit on your rig over there then!!

Warnie
14th April 2011, 11:48 AM
I just wrangled up some money's, and book the old girl into the gas man derek on next tuesday. I also wrangled a bit of coin up and just ordered a set of KL71,s on rims for just over $1400 :)

Bigrig
14th April 2011, 12:10 PM
I just wrangled up some money's, and book the old girl into the gas man derek on next tuesday. I also wrangled a bit of coin up and just ordered a set of KL71,s on rims for just over $1400 :)

Good stuff on both counts!!!

Warnie
20th April 2011, 05:13 PM
So the troll went in to see Derek at AutoArt Capalaba today, and thius was the diagnosis. AAC is fine, someone has just drilled a hole through the butterfly valve - letting more air in (hole 5mm). The fuel pump is gone and it needs the filter to be replaced. I will do the O2 sensor also just to be sure. Derek is busy at the moment so I am just gonna tackle this stuff myself when I get back from starddie next week.

I will take pictures and do up a little how to on what I about to do.

Bigrig
20th April 2011, 05:56 PM
So the troll went in to see Derek at AutoArt Capalaba today, and thius was the diagnosis. AAC is fine, someone has just drilled a hole through the butterfly valve - letting more air in (hole 5mm). The fuel pump is gone and it needs the filter to be replaced. I will do the O2 sensor also just to be sure. Derek is busy at the moment so I am just gonna tackle this stuff myself when I get back from starddie next week.

I will take pictures and do up a little how to on what I about to do.

Good stuff mate - saw your rig down there and he gave me the low down also - explains why the AAC was not responsive!!! Good luck with it.