PDA

View Full Version : Easter 2016 Trip Report

VK2FMIA
31st March 2016, 06:17 PM
Hi All,
Well that will be a trip to remember! 4 days, 1100 kilometers through some great scenery & a few surprises along the way. Not all went to plan, but a great trip all the same.

Day 1, Home to Mary`s View, Oxley Wild Rivers National Park. 13 hours travel with stops. 230 km of tar, 93 km of rough dirt tracks.

Day 2, Mary`s View to the Blowhole, Boonanghi Forest - the trip went downhill (literally!) & nearly didn't get back up. Another 13 hours & 250 km of driving (only 25 km of tar) including some tracks in the dark, finally finding a camp at 10:00 pm!

Day 3, From the coast near Kempsey to The Pub with no Beer (but luckily that they had some - needed one after the mornings adventure!). A case of vertigo (not me) & trying to find a campsite during Easter. 10 hours & only 212 km for the day, mostly dirt.

Day 4, Pretty easy run home on the Highway, we had all had enough of the winding, steep, dusty roads by then.

I have put the full Trip Report up on my website, it`s a bit long winded but I have put in a fair amount of detail & photos of the trip. Here is the link if anyone wants to have a look.

Day one (http://vk2fmia.com/2016/03/31/easter-2016-road-trip-day-1/) (link at bottom of each webpage to the next day)

I will post a couple of Video`s on Youtube over the weekend & post the links on the forum.

Hope everyone had a great weekend, I know I did. The Patrol ran well all weekend, no problems at all. Already started planning for the June long weekend..........:thumbup:

NissanGQ4.2
31st March 2016, 07:31 PM
Sounds like an awesome weekend, thanks for sharing your trip report and photo's :)

growler2058
31st March 2016, 08:06 PM
Thats awesome mate! I rekon weve found an editor for AB's not so annual NP.com.au magazine

AB
31st March 2016, 08:10 PM
Thats awesome mate! I rekon weve found an editor for AB's not so annual NP.com.au magazine Collectors item growler, you can't rush these things old mate ;)

growler2058
31st March 2016, 08:15 PM
Collectors item growler, you can't rush these things old mate ;)

FFS mate ive saved it but at this rate my grandkids will see the benifits hahahahha

VK2FMIA
31st March 2016, 08:37 PM
Sounds like an awesome weekend, thanks for sharing your trip report and photo's :)

No prob NissanGQ4.2 Hopefully the info might help some else down the track.

VK2FMIA
31st March 2016, 08:42 PM
Thats awesome mate! I rekon weve found an editor for AB's not so annual NP.com.au magazine

Don`t know about that growler2058, I usually can't write for s#*t, was still on a bit of a high after the trip i think!

growler2058
31st March 2016, 09:05 PM
Don`t know about that growler2058, I usually can't write for s#*t, was still on a bit of a high after the trip i think!

No worries, no rush, we've had one mag in.......................mmmmm how many years AB?

AB
31st March 2016, 09:32 PM
No worries, no rush, we've had one mag in.......................mmmmm how many years AB? Two mags bud get it right...Nicko quite possibly made the second one happen though...

growler2058
31st March 2016, 09:37 PM
Two mags bud get it right...Nicko quite possibly made the second one happen though...

Yeah doing better than rooftop bags i spose :jawdrop:

NissanGQ4.2
31st March 2016, 10:13 PM
Out of curiosity, is your username something 2 do with the amateur radio your into?

NissanGQ4.2
31st March 2016, 10:54 PM
Out of curiosity, is your username something 2 do with the amateur radio your into?

Disregard, just started reading your amateur radio page :)

VK2FMIA
1st April 2016, 08:09 AM

Spot on NissanGQ4.2, yep that's my callsign. Got Involved with Amateur Radio 5 years ago. My other 2 traveling companions are also amateurs. Great hobby to get into, sort of goes well with 4wding. We get out into remote areas & set up portable stations & talk to people all over the world.

There are also contests for a bit of fun. There is also a program involving setting up in National Parks & trying to make contacts with other parks around the world. Every weekend there would be somebody on the air in a park somewhere.

Amazing what you can do with a piece of wire strung up between a couple of trees. Might do a write up on the subject down the track.

VK2FMIA
1st April 2016, 08:10 AM
Disregard, just started reading your amateur radio page :)

No prob, I should have scrolled down a bit before i replied!

VK2FMIA
1st April 2016, 12:55 PM
Excellent report mate. Your photography is fantastic! Cheers.

Thanks Plasnart

NissanGQ4.2
1st April 2016, 04:00 PM
Might do a write up on the subject down the track.

Yes please, that would be awesome.