PDA

View Full Version : MK v GQ v GU which is better - let the battle begin

Bob
12th April 2011, 10:26 AM
EDIT (by YNOT); This thread is actually 3 threads merged together. Don't blame Bob, he didn't start it!

Tony

GQ's are the more superior of the Patrol series. They look strong with a tough boxy type design as below...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/20.jpg

Gu's are ok, they are more city slicker type vehicles with smooth aerodynamic round corners as below...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Now, lets wait for the responses....LMAO

You had better start taking your Medication again as you are hallucinating

growler2058
12th April 2011, 10:51 AM
The GU has a SOFT appearance hhahahahahhaha

Bob
12th April 2011, 11:07 AM
the gu has a soft appearance hhahahahahhaha

no more thought for the day

growler2058
12th April 2011, 11:10 AM
no more thought for the day

OHHHH i meant it in a nice way...................back paddle back paddle back paddle hahahahahahaha please dont cut me off Bob pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

Bob
12th April 2011, 11:11 AM
ohhhh i meant it in a nice way...................back paddle back paddle back paddle hahahahahahaha please dont cut me off bob pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

only joking lol. I am really upset at ab ha ha

growler2058
12th April 2011, 11:14 AM
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA That AB is a rascal he led me to say such things AHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAH

AB
12th April 2011, 11:34 AM
PS. I don't want to talk about early GU manual gearboxes!

Thanks for that vital pick up that we all missed mate....I thought I would empathise that light grey comment you made that was hard to read....LMAO

YNOT
12th April 2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for that vital pick up that we all missed mate....I thought I would empathise that light grey comment you made that was hard to read....LMAO

You bugger!

Tony

timbar
12th April 2011, 12:52 PM
You blokes missed one detail, Y60 is GQ, GU is Y61.

Michaelgeo, as per AB's photos Y60 (GQ) is the square shape that was built from approximately 1988 to 1998, Y61 (GU) was a more rounded shape and was built from 1998 on.

May I remind the GQ owners that the GU has stronger CV joints!

Tony

PS. I don't want to talk about early GU manual gearboxes!

yeah but the GQ will still out last the GU i rekon!! we have stronger everything else lol

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 12:55 PM
yeah but the GQ will still out last the GU i rekon!! we have stronger everything else lol

And a longer, more established love affair with the GQ!!! I've had two GU's and I'm back in a Q, so they've obviously suckered me in!!

hekarewe
12th April 2011, 01:04 PM
having been the owner of an 88 NE pajero for 9 years and recently buying (didnt say up gradeing) a 03 GU to which for the first time in my 4wding career then added lift kit and winch snorkle etc and after the last outing am strongly thinking of putting lockers on having never considered them before i am a bit disappointed in the patrol as each model comes out oit should improve,,,, i thought in buying the gu i would be able to do bigger and harder tracks then old pajero,,, (which kept up with all the cruisers and patrol both modified and not) but have been sadly mistaken :( so to me the question should be which patrol is cheaper to modifie so that you can go and do the tracks you really want to do!!!!!!!

sure this one will get a bit or three!!!!!

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 01:12 PM
having been the owner of an 88 NE pajero for 9 years and recently buying (didnt say up gradeing) a 03 GU to which for the first time in my 4wding career then added lift kit and winch snorkle etc and after the last outing am strongly thinking of putting lockers on having never considered them before i am a bit disappointed in the patrol as each model comes out oit should improve,,,, i thought in buying the gu i would be able to do bigger and harder tracks then old pajero,,, (which kept up with all the cruisers and patrol both modified and not) but have been sadly mistaken :( so to me the question should be which patrol is cheaper to modifie so that you can go and do the tracks you really want to do!!!!!!!

OMG!! You sound like someone else I know with a Hilux!! LOL ...

Hear what you're saying mate, but every 4wd'er, 4wd magazine comparo, etc can't possibly be wrong. To suggest a pajero is as capable (outside the aggressiveness and capability of the driver) as a patrol is a looooonnnnnnnng draw of the bow!!!

Consider me you're first catch!!! lmfao

You need to go pick it up from Sydney and bring it back up do we can do some "tests" before it gets turned into a harvester down at the gnomes place!!!! LOL

timbar
12th April 2011, 01:18 PM
And a longer, more established love affair with the GQ!!! I've had two GU's and I'm back in a Q, so they've obviously suckered me in!!

you always go back to your first love !!!!

Bob
12th April 2011, 01:21 PM
This thread has been well and truly hijacked . LOL

timbar
12th April 2011, 01:21 PM

Hear what you're saying mate, but every 4wd'er, 4wd magazine comparo, etc can't possibly be wrong. To suggest a pajero is as capable (outside the aggressiveness and capability of the driver) as a patrol is a looooonnnnnnnng draw of the bow!!!

You need to go pick it up from Sydney and bring it back up do we can do some "tests" before it gets turned into a harvester down at the gnomes place!!!! LOL

sound bout right to me ......hahahahahahahahahahaha

i also have a pajero well the missus does never had it off road dont even know if the transfercase works!!!

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 01:23 PM

Oopsey - sorry lads!!!! lol

Silver
12th April 2011, 01:58 PM
A mate has a lateish 90s ute that he says is a GU.

The body looks like a GQ, it has GQ cvs. However it has GU stub axles and wheel bearing lock nuts and I don't know what else that belongs to a GU.

I don't think Nissan differentiate between GQ and GU, the spares dept want the vehicle identification number, and talk in terms of Y60 and Y61.

timbar
12th April 2011, 02:03 PM
A mate has a lateish 90s ute that he says is a GU.

The body looks like a GQ, it has GQ cvs. However it has GU stub axles and wheel bearing lock nuts and I don't know what else that belongs to a GU.

I don't think Nissan differentiate between GQ and GU, the spares dept want the vehicle identification number, and talk in terms of Y60 and Y61.

could be cause i have seen a few MQs and ppl have said no its an GQ dunno on that either

timbar
12th April 2011, 02:05 PM
sorry

its got me baffeled i cand find anthing in nissan or any other web site to back this up ????

Silver
12th April 2011, 02:08 PM
sorry

its got me baffeled i cand find anthing in nissan or any other web site to back this up ????

Which bit Timbar?? there's a few to points in this thread to choose from now :-)

YNOT
12th April 2011, 02:18 PM

I'll clean it up later but for now it's entertaining.

Tony

Bob
12th April 2011, 02:21 PM
I'll clean it up later but for now it's entertaining.

Tony

yeah the old gq versus gu. there will never be a winner but it fun reading all the b&^^#$%T

hekarewe
12th April 2011, 02:23 PM

if you can get the southern gnome to both honest and serieous at the same time i am sure both his testomny and he should should have footage to back these claims LOLOL the alternative bigrig is to go to my face book site for evidance ROFLMAO (god i wish i had this sort of luck out on the boat!!!)

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 02:26 PM
if you can get the southern gnome to both honest and serieous at the same time i am sure both his testomny and he should should have footage to back these claims LOLOL the alternative bigrig is to go to my face book site for evidance ROFLMAO (god i wish i had this sort of luck out on the boat!!!)

LOL!! Hmmmm ... must have been out with crap drivers!!! Coz there's a few on here a little less 'vocal' than me and I'm sure they're reading this saying the same thing ... no way!!! lol

Bob
12th April 2011, 05:25 PM
PS. score another one to the GU's, they already have gas struts to hold the bonnet up!

Good one Tony

timbar
12th April 2011, 05:27 PM
the GQ never came out with struts prbably because they were made of real steel and are too heavy for struts ???

Bob
12th April 2011, 05:31 PM
the GQ never came out with struts prbably because they were made of real steel and are too heavy for struts ???

They are so ancient that Gas Struts were not invented when they were built LOL

Silver
12th April 2011, 05:42 PM

I may consider a swap with my TB42 Mav :-)

And I like Pajeros in the sand, they take the hump out of between the ruts for those of us who's toys aren't lifted and on big tyres

AB
12th April 2011, 07:57 PM
Mate you don't stuff around...lol....Keep us posted!

Do you know whats funny...The GQ owners never bragg about how better their 4wd's are compared to the GU but the GU city slickers seem to keep this rival GU V GQ and how great the GU's are, etc but we never hear about GQ owners trying to proove how good their old rigs are...

There might be a conspiracy out there with the GU owners that they deep down wish they had an old and faithful mean machine GQ and just lash out at us humble GQ owners...lol....Ok, Im on the gas tonight peoples so look out, I'm getting personal!!!....lol

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 08:05 PM
Mate you don't stuff around...lol....Keep us posted!

Do you know whats funny...The GQ owners never bragg about how better their 4wd's are compared to the GU but the GU city slickers seem to keep this rival GU V GQ and how great the GU's are, etc but we never hear about GQ owners trying to proove how good their old rigs are...

There might be a conspiracy out there with the GU owners that they deep down wish they had an old and faithful mean machine GQ and just lash out at us humble GQ owners...lol....Ok, Im on the gas tonight peoples so look out, I'm getting personal!!!....lol

Unleash!!!! LOL

YNOT
12th April 2011, 08:37 PM

NOT TRUE, I present exhibit A; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3666-Michaelgeo
Post #2, a GQ owner bragging about GQ's being superior! Who really has the inferiority complex???

Tony

I'll clean this thread up later as well.

AB
12th April 2011, 08:43 PM
lol....But if you look at section 32 paragraph 12 and refer to figure 1.22 you will notice the flux compacitor has not reached 88 miles per hour thus the GU owners suffer from a rare case of "wishIhadaGQas".

Poor lost souls...lol

yep, we better clear this ramble up...lol

Bob
12th April 2011, 08:45 PM
QUOTE FROM AB "Ok, Im on the gas tonight peoples so look out, I'm getting personal!!!....lol"

IT IS AMAZING PEOPLE RESORT TO PERSONAL ATTACKS WHEN THEY ARE LOSING THE ARGUMENT.

RAFLMAO

YNOT
12th April 2011, 08:49 PM
yep, we better clear this ramble up...lol

I'm on it boss.

Tony

YNOT
12th April 2011, 08:53 PM
OK, we've hijacked 2 threads today with our GQ v GU banter so here is a thread dedicated to the argument, let the battle again! I will move posts from the hijacked threads to here soon.

We are all members of this forum because we share our love of Nissan Patrols, this is not a serious thread, it's all in good humour.

Tony

growler2058
12th April 2011, 08:54 PM
No argument needed...................obviously its thhe almighty GQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

katwoman
12th April 2011, 08:55 PM
GU GU GU GU GU GU GU GU GU GU GU GU...!!!!!!!
Looking at a GQ for a paddack basher !

timbar
12th April 2011, 08:56 PM
No argument needed...................obviously its thhe almighty GQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The GQ is Made of Steel not Tin !

C'mon Keep it Fair PRO's n CON's First !!

Bob
12th April 2011, 08:58 PM
Gu

tough but comfortable
looks better
not full of rust
driven by a better class of people

big_fletch
12th April 2011, 09:00 PM
My god Tony what have you done...... LOL..
We all know that the GQ is the best of them all... Then they improved on it with the GU Hahahaha

growler2058
12th April 2011, 09:01 PM
HAHAHa lookin at agu for me nanna

YNOT
12th April 2011, 09:01 PM
C'mon Keep it Fair PRO's n CON's First !!

Thanks Tim.

Tell us WHY one is better than the other.

Tony

timbar
12th April 2011, 09:02 PM
Gu

tough but comfortable
looks better
not full of rust

what drugs u on ????? I Want some ....ROFLMAO

Bob
12th April 2011, 09:05 PM
what drugs u on ????? I want some ....roflmao

i am glad i am going to bed as this thread looks like it will take up some considerable time tonight. Go for boys and gals but the winner is gu gu gu gu gu

YNOT
12th April 2011, 09:05 PM
My god Tony what have you done...... LOL..

ME??? They started it! I'm just keeping the subject from hijacking other threads............OK so I've provoked the argument as well along the way.

Tony

growler2058
12th April 2011, 09:06 PM
i am glad i am going to bed as this thread looks like it will take up some considerable time tonight. Go for boys and gals but the winner is gu gu gu gu gu

is that gugugu gagaga hahahahaha

katwoman
12th April 2011, 09:06 PM
OOOOOOHHH, you want constructive critisism ? Counts me out..
But Bob's rigfht, GU is better looking, has style, not box on wheels.
And yes, we are better ppl because of it !! pml

Sir Roofy
12th April 2011, 09:09 PM
Gu

tough but comfortable
looks better
not full of rust

im with bob sorry guys,oh and i take my drugs (presciption)every morning lol

big_fletch
12th April 2011, 09:10 PM
ME??? They started it! I'm just keeping the subject from hijacking other threads............OK so I've provoked the argument as well along the way.

Tony

Haha dw I just having a poke lol, as you say at least it stops the hijacking on other threads mate..
Will be interesting to see the different sides of the debate me thinks

growler2058
12th April 2011, 09:13 PM
Q comes befor U

YNOT
12th April 2011, 09:15 PM
Haha dw I just having a poke lol, as you say at least it stops the hijacking on other threads mate..
Will be interesting to see the different sides of the debate me thinks

It's all in good humour Fletch. I've owned 2 of each so I can argue either way.

Tony

YNOT
12th April 2011, 09:16 PM
Q comes befor U

There's no "Q" in SUPERIOR!

Tony

AB
12th April 2011, 09:17 PM
As Tony mentioned the GQ CV's are weaker then Gu's but the GU's have had some gearbox issues so as far as which one is stronger is a loosing battle.

GQ = Less electrics which IMO is far better for having less electrical issues when you are in the middle of nowhere. Try repairing a serious melt down in the simpson with a GU. if your name is not Tony then you may struggle trying to find the issue and repair a GU in the bush whereas the 4.2 diesel GQ is a simple but reliable engine that can be fixed using a piece of bark and some gaffa tape....lol...In fact you just wouldn't have any issues like that so disregard that comment...LMAO

Aestheics The GQ just looks strong, square edges, boxy design and just looks tough! The GU is more aimed towards the George Jetson driver of the future which is horrible in design and poor in construction. Mainly aimed at the aerodynamic stage of the turn of the century. They steered away from the ruggered good looks of the GQ and followed the crowd towards a city slicking type soccer mum car to putt around town and pick up the groceries and have 5 kids in the back screaming and wiping their boogers all over the seats which at the time they targeted their audience quite well and succeeded but as a 4wd in the harsh Australian conditions, they failed!

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/250/draft_lens13889851module124694241photo_1286519107g eorge-jetson-costume.gif

growler2058
12th April 2011, 09:17 PM
There's no "Q" in SUPERIOR!

Tony

Quintessential with a capital Q

timbar
12th April 2011, 09:26 PM
dont get me wrong i like the gu but the GQ is my choice of vehicle if i get stuck in th bush more of a chance of me fixing it than me fixing a GU the Q is in my mechanical safty zone and i find a lot more durable than the GU my personal opinion

katwoman
12th April 2011, 09:26 PM
This is great. Thread open 30 minutes and 2 pages already..
U can find more words beginning with 'U'.
'Q' only stands for things like' queer'

timbar
12th April 2011, 09:27 PM
WE ALL DRIVE PATROLS OF OUR OWN CHOICE

WHY BICKER OVER WHAT MODEL iS BETTER WHAT IS IMPORANT HERE IS ITS NOT TOYMOTA

NOTHING TO GAIN BY THE DEBATE SO WHY HAVE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE

THIS IS LOWERING OUR STANDARDS TO THE OTHER PATROL SITE WHY DO THAT ???? :( :( :( :(

AB
12th April 2011, 09:33 PM

THIS IS LOWERING OUR STANDARDS TO THE OTHER PATROL SITE WHY DO THAT ???? :( :( :( :(

Nah mate we are not lowering our standrads, we are good friends just giving it to each other like mates do.

Honestly, I wish I could afford a 4.2 GU but I couldnt...They are both awesome vehicles and we all know that...

Bob and I were giving eachother heaps of curry in the Vic meet up but as good friends only...It's all good!

YNOT
12th April 2011, 09:35 PM
As with most newer models cars (AU Falcon being an obvious exception) the newer models build on the weaknesses uncovered in the superceeded model, hence the the GU has stronger CV joints and availabillity of a factory turbo TD42. Some GU's also got a stronger rear diff to cope with the massive increases of power and torque that came with the superior GU engines.

Tony

timbar
12th April 2011, 09:35 PM
all good as long as it doesnt go viral i love this site with out any argument !!
Because there is no arguement

growler2058
12th April 2011, 09:37 PM
All done in good faith and humour and deep down we all know the gq rules hahahahahahaha rock on

AB
12th April 2011, 09:37 PM
As with most newer models cars (AU Falcon being an obvious exception) the newer models build on the weaknesses uncovered in the superceeded model, hence the the GU has stronger CV joints and availabillity of a factory turbo TD42. Some GU's also got a stronger rear diff to cope with the massive increases of power and torque that came with the superior GU engines.

Tony

So what happened to the gear boxes of a GU then Tones...lol

YNOT
12th April 2011, 09:41 PM
So what happened to the gear boxes of a GU then Tones...lol

Errr...............weight saving by removing 10mm of spline metal, or they under estimated just how much power the new engines had???

Anyway, GU has gas struts to hold the bonnet up, clear winner!

Tony

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 09:43 PM
It's all in good humour Fletch. I've owned 2 of each so I can argue either way.

Tony

Me too - 1990 GQ, 2001 GU, 2004 GU, 1992 GQ ...

After I tipped my second GU on it's side, I decided they are far too "pretty" to be used properly!! LOL ... that should do it!!!

YNOT
12th April 2011, 09:44 PM
Photos please Scott.

Tony

AB
12th April 2011, 09:45 PM
anyway, gu has gas struts to hold the bonnet up, clear winner!

lmao...gold!!!

Forced Offroad
12th April 2011, 09:46 PM
gq's they should have the only better change to the gu is cv,s power steering which can be bolted on the qg....

if nissan want to take over the 4x4 industry, they should bring out a dual cad style side or tray back... In the gq shape of course

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 09:55 PM
Photos please Scott.

Tony

The burgundy GU is on my photos page, the gold one I would have to search for (as well as the first GQ - trayback) - gotta love divorces!! LOL ... lucky for me we get along well, so I'll ask her to hunt down the snaps ... along with the mower with the six pack holder ... along with photos of the Hilux ... along with the photos of the pathfinder ... with me so far?? She got the ice cube trays as well!!! LMFAO!!

Bob
12th April 2011, 09:55 PM
i HAD TO GET OUT OF BED TO CHECK THIS THREAD AND I MUST ADMIT I HAVE NOT BEEN DISAPPOINTED WITH THE PASSIONATE ARGUMENTS FOR THE TWO MODELS. IT JUST GOES TO DEMONSTRATE OUR LOVE OF THE NISSAN PATROL (MQ-GQ-GU) LOVE A GOOD ARGUMENT. GOODNIGHT ALL AND HAVE LOTS OF FUN.

NONE OF YOU WILL WIN

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 09:57 PM
i HAD TO GET OUT OF BED TO CHECK THIS THREAD AND I MUST ADMIT I HAVE NOT BEEN DISAPPOINTED WITH THE PASSIONATE ARGUMENTS FOR THE TWO MODELS. IT JUST GOES TO DEMONSTRATE OUR LOVE OF THE NISSAN PATROL (MQ-GQ-GU) LOVE A GOOD ARGUMENT. GOODNIGHT ALL AND HAVE LOTS OF FUN.

NONE OF YOU WILL WIN

Seeya mate!

growler2058
12th April 2011, 09:58 PM
Night Bob I'm Gunnar push some z's too

YNOT
12th April 2011, 10:00 PM
I'm going to bed soon too, got to be up before the sparrows tomorrow for the 3 hour drive to my first job.

We're all winners here because we all drive Patrols.

Tony

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 10:01 PM
I'm going to bed soon too, got to be up before the sparrows tomorrow for the 3 hour drive to my first job.

We're all winners here because we all drive Patrols.

Tony

Night growlers

Night Tony and well said!!

Dark 1
12th April 2011, 10:02 PM

Timbar said it, who cares what model trol you drive the point is WE drive trols & not CRAPOTAS.

Personally i like the GU'S better but i give the Q'S their props, like has already been said THEIR BOTH TROLS.

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 10:05 PM
Timbar said it, who cares what model trol you drive the point is WE drive trols & not CRAPOTAS.

Personally i like the GU'S better but i give the Q'S their props, like has already been said THEIR BOTH TROLS.

Bloody GU drivers .. all too realistic as well !!! lmfao

Dark 1
12th April 2011, 10:11 PM

Whatever Scotty, you know i could always go & buy a yota........ Ok you got me, i couldn't.

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 10:13 PM
Whatever Scotty, you know i could always go & buy a yota........ Ok you got me, i couldn't.

Then you'd wouldn't be allowed on here no more ... what would you do then??? Hey??? Enough of the veiled threats mate ... Ok??? Now you're just embarrassing the other GU drivers!!!!

ROFLMFAO!!!

Dark 1
12th April 2011, 10:18 PM
I could always join the lcool forum, i'm sure they wouldn't be mean to me.

lololololololololololololololololololololololololo lololololololololololololololololololololololololo lolololol

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 10:21 PM
I could always join the lcool forum, i'm sure they wouldn't be mean to me.

lololololololololololololololololololololololololo lololololololololololololololololololololololololo lolololol

Oh ... and did I mention GU drivers were nancy's?? LOL ...

All good brother - you're just lucky that when we caught up to swap over the camper I didn't take off with the GU as well !!!! They are all awesome, but the fact is, GQ or GU, they are awesome looking with a few mods ... let alone exceptionally capable, tough as and driven by a top bunch like us!! LOL

DX grunt
12th April 2011, 10:23 PM

I prefer GQ's actually.

A GQ looks better on the end of my snatch strap rather than my GU on the end of a GQ snatch strap. lol

Seriously, we're all Patrol users. Does it reeeeeallllllly matter??? IMHO, no.

katwoman
12th April 2011, 10:30 PM
Considering 'it doesnt matter' this thread took a whole hour to go 5 pages..
And we ALL know that KATROL is the prettiest..

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 10:55 PM
Yep - all in good fun ... there is a bunch of trucks on here of all flavours that are simply awesome .. I would happily plonk my barge @rse back into a GU, and am proud at the same time of my current GQ ... and I reckon many of you think the same irrespective of the one you have now ... they are a great truck that started long before the GQ was even thought of! All the discussion really proves is how passionate we are about them! Kudos goes to all of you!

DX grunt
12th April 2011, 10:58 PM
Yep - all in good fun ... there is a bunch of trucks on here of all flavours that are simply awesome .. Kudos goes to all of you!

Thanks. How embarrasing. lol

timbar
12th April 2011, 10:58 PM
ok then we have decided then teh GQ is the winner..............hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks. How embarrasing. lol

Hahaha ... yes, you should all be ashamed of this in fighting!!! LOL ...

timbar
13th April 2011, 12:09 AM
its all good when you have a good solid product. Everyone that owns that particular model of that product is always ready to put up there product as the better product / Model regardless whether that product / model is inferier to any other !! Self satisfaction is the key because if it wasnt why would the make mods for these products and every one has different mods for different needs and wants this is a silly debate due to the fact that a true 4x4 is built not bought ................

Finly Owner
13th April 2011, 12:15 AM
cory, chops, me, jet, and many more will vote MK.

timbar
13th April 2011, 12:18 AM
the mk is in a class all of its own Tim

growler2058
13th April 2011, 07:00 AM
So morning all troll owners i see over night the discussion stayed quite civil..............and the general consensus is that as long as its a troll all good and the GQ is the best hahahahhaha

Bigrig
13th April 2011, 07:30 AM
So morning all troll owners i see over night the discussion stayed quite civil..............and the general consensus is that as long as its a troll all good and the GQ is the best hahahahhaha

Yep ... I was really the voice of reason last night mate ... hard to control this bunch though!! (coz I obviously had nothing to do with it!!) lol

growler2058
13th April 2011, 07:32 AM
Yep ... I was really the voice of reason last night mate ... hard to control this bunch though!! (coz I obviously had nothing to do with it!!) lol

Always the diplomat mate hahahaha

Bob
13th April 2011, 07:36 AM
Morning People. Glad to see that it was all civil last night. It kept a few of you out of the Pub LOL LOL

Bigrig
13th April 2011, 07:36 AM
Always the diplomat mate hahahaha

I do my best boss ... I do my best ... lol

Finly Owner
13th April 2011, 10:55 PM
Gu too soft for paddock bashing. GQ to real to drive in front of wannabies.
ROFLMAO

Tim

Finly Owner
13th April 2011, 11:00 PM
Considering 'it doesnt matter' this thread took a whole hour to go 5 pages..
And we ALL know that KATROL is the prettiest..
Yeah but "TANK" has got the most "BLING"!

Finly Owner
13th April 2011, 11:09 PM
And now we have heaps of Members with Ol' MQ's and MK's not to mention our latest G60 member. We really show them new fancy things that break down at the slight bit weight to tow or .... grenading motors, or sh#t a sensor has left me stranded at home..... or I blew the air box to bits.

Our old rigs won't die! They rust out and still drive, they leak oil everywhere and still drive, they blow black clouds of black smoke and still tow huge loads. Their gearboxes will let you crawl wherever you have clearance. They even had bonnet lid props!!!!
Is the GQ better? only because of the 4.2 diesel motor. Everything else is a MQ/MK ripp off! PML.

Oh and I left this as the last word so it would be seen last hehehehehee.

Tim

hekarewe
14th April 2011, 12:19 AM
i have read the pro's n con's between GQ GU Mavrick blah blah blah so with out mentioning names i shall present case studies;;; (pwoplw i know who have patrols)

case 1 into hard core driving buys maverick (GQ) $8000 approx spends close to $10 000 on up grades major lift diff locks reduction gears 35' plus tyres

case 2 into hard core driving buys shorty mavrick most heavily modified truck i have seen on the road
he then buys long wheel base same model so he transplant everything onto the long one

case 3 buys GU then spends close to $10 000 on mod's

and then theres me had pajero 88 NE 2' lift 31' tyres the rest standered followed the above every where then got GU and dropped close to $9000 on mod's to go of the road hmmmmmm tuff choice rebuild or go for comfort,,,,, comfort won will give the gu that very comfy now concidering locker for the front another $1000 :(

pritty much every patrol cruiser hi lux owner i know spend big on mods,,,,, if they are so good why do we do that???? last count i believe pajero won paris dakar 12 years back to back,,,,,,

there you guys bite away i know the fishings good here tonight

Clunk
14th April 2011, 01:11 AM
i have read the pro's n con's between GQ GU Mavrick blah blah blah so with out mentioning names i shall present case studies;;; (pwoplw i know who have patrols)

case 1 into hard core driving buys maverick (GQ) $8000 approx spends close to $10 000 on up grades major lift diff locks reduction gears 35' plus tyres

case 2 into hard core driving buys shorty mavrick most heavily modified truck i have seen on the road
he then buys long wheel base same model so he transplant everything onto the long one

case 3 buys GU then spends close to $10 000 on mod's

and then theres me had pajero 88 NE 2' lift 31' tyres the rest standered followed the above every where then got GU and dropped close to $9000 on mod's to go of the road hmmmmmm tuff choice rebuild or go for comfort,,,,, comfort won will give the gu that very comfy now concidering locker for the front another $1000 :(

pritty much every patrol cruiser hi lux owner i know spend big on mods,,,,, if they are so good why do we do that???? last count i believe pajero won paris dakar 12 years back to back,,,,,,

there you guys bite away i know the fishings good here tonight

yeah my old man tries to use that argument about the Paris Dakar too but the thing is, those Pajs no where near resemble the everyday Pajs............................... I chose my GQ simply coz of budget and it looks tougher, hahahahahaha go the GQ

katwoman
14th April 2011, 01:16 AM
HA, you havent seen Katrol lately !!

Bigrig
14th April 2011, 07:47 AM

Here here!! LOL

The race is on Kat!!! lmfao

Bob
14th April 2011, 08:19 AM
So we now all know that the Winner is Whatever Patrol we are at present Driving It was good Fun finding out though

Bigrig
14th April 2011, 08:23 AM
I'm a bit envious of old mates G60 to be honest - would love to get my hands on something mint like that ... all said and done, I loved my GU's just as much as I love my GQ ... none of them have ever let me down.

YNOT
14th April 2011, 09:41 AM
I'm a bit envious of old mates G60 to be honest - would love to get my hands on something mint like that ... all said and done, I loved my GU's just as much as I love my GQ ... none of them have ever let me down.

My thoughts exactly.

Tony

Finly Owner
14th April 2011, 11:32 PM
the mk is in a class all of its own Tim
Too right!Tim

Finly Owner
14th April 2011, 11:35 PM
HA, you havent seen Katrol lately !!
So pics please....... Bait taken hook line and sinker......ROFL

Tim

timbar
14th April 2011, 11:44 PM
i had a mq as u saw in my thead i put up yesterday

Mrowka
15th April 2011, 12:20 AM
The other thing about the Paris-Dakar Rally is that the competitors are not exactly two rugged men challenging the wilderness on their own. They are backed by whole teams, complete with support vehicles, mechanics, technicians, engineers, chefs, baristas (someone has to make the lattes), helicopters, communications specialists and Lord knows what else chasing them around.

NASA probably has sent men to the moon with comparable backup. And get this: the astronauts had to make their own lattes while in outer space!

And of course, if Paris-Dakar were the end-all and be-all of 4x4ing, we'd all be driving VW Touregs. Let me know how that works out for you.

Back to why the GQ is cool:

1. No electronics to stuff up
2. Lighter
3. Stronger bodyshell
4. Nifty factory flares (unlike the GU flares which are easily damaged and cost a fortune to fix)
5. My Russian spec GQ came with GU diffs from the factory
6. TD42 engines are plentiful (outside western Europe and the Gulf)
7. Later series GQs can be had with turbocharged TD42s. (Still, if I wanted horsepower, I'd buy a sports car)
8. Factory PTO winch available? Yes!
9. Dual batteries and engine heat available in Russian spec models? Yes! (My GQ is 12V, go figure)
10. No French grenade-motor
11. Easier to find with a manual transmission
12. My little wifelet says: "The GU looks like a meterosexual vehicle. The GQ is more like John Wayne, or Clint Eastwood from back when he still made good movies."

timbar
15th April 2011, 12:22 AM
Welll said and a good rread m8

katwoman
15th April 2011, 01:19 AM
We had a early to mid '80's patrol years ago. what is that? Biggest piece of cr@p I ever had !! Bought a ford 250 conversion kit for it but car went bye byes first ! still have the conversion kit !

katwoman
15th April 2011, 01:20 AM
So pics please....... Bait taken hook line and sinker......ROFL

Tim

Not yet, she gettin her new boots when I get home..

Finly Owner
15th April 2011, 10:21 PM
We had a early to mid '80's patrol years ago. what is that? Biggest piece of cr@p I ever had !! Bought a ford 250 conversion kit for it but car went bye byes first ! still have the conversion kit !
So your first Love affair with patrols was either a MQ(round headlights) or MK(rectangle headlights)

Tim

AB
15th April 2011, 10:39 PM
Who threw in the MK into the battle....lol

Finly Owner
15th April 2011, 11:18 PM
The title did.........

Bigrig
15th April 2011, 11:20 PM
The title did.........

Valid point ... damn it I hate it when people throw facts into an argument!!! LOL

Finly Owner
15th April 2011, 11:24 PM
MK - Must Keep !!

nowoolies
15th April 2011, 11:49 PM
EDIT (by YNOT); This thread is actually 3 threads merged together. Don't blame Bob, he didn't start it!

Tony

You had better start taking your Medication again as you are hallucinating

is there any other NISSAN than a GU Y61 ????????????????????????

Mrowka
16th April 2011, 03:05 AM
Welll said and a good rread m8

and, to paraphrase Beavis and Butthead:

13. GQ = scoring (with chicks).

AB
16th April 2011, 07:48 AM
is there any other NISSAN than a GU Y61 to putt around the city and pick up homemade jams and kntting materials. ????????????????????????

No mate, no other Nissan is more suited then that...LMAO

YNOT
16th April 2011, 07:52 AM

I added that the first night. We have a few MK owners on here so I thought it only fair that they be a part of this as well.

Tony

MQ MAD
16th April 2011, 09:42 AM
13 pages of absolute larfter

Whats better than what ???

Lets have a look

MQ/MK
You wont buy a better value for $$$ rig anywhere
(Dont compare them to a hilux kiddies,eat em for lunch)

GQ
Best model ever
Look at resale value and the $$$$ good examples are getting
(GQs are worth more than most GUs, nothin more to add)

GU
Well where to start with this
Most who have GUs, have either done their bank account fixing them,or the smart ones sell and buy a GQ
Those that still have a GU,just cant come to terms with how much they cost to repair
Dont be scared drive em, but be carefull of the tick tick (BOOM)sound

edit:
Im not alone on this
The GU was the dearest POS patrol i ever owned
I lost a motsa on resale,and spent tooooo much fixing an underpowered engine

The best value for money patrol i ever had was an MQ SD33 wagon
Reliable everyday for over 3 years,never put a spanner to it

nowoolies
16th April 2011, 06:44 PM
No mate, no other Nissan is more suited then that...LMAO

oi oi oi who altered my quote hahahahahahaha jams................... my foot

nowoolies
16th April 2011, 06:50 PM
anyroad this vehicle called a (great queer) i think i got that right hahahahahahaha
is good for what again did you`s say
all the dollars spent on them trying to catch up to the MIGHTY G U you will never catch up hahahahahahahaha.......roflmao

growler2058
16th April 2011, 06:53 PM
anyroad this vehicle called a (great queer) i think i got that right hahahahahahaha
is good for what again did you`s say
all the dollars spent on them trying to catch up to the MIGHTY G U you will never catch up hahahahahahahaha.......roflmao

Nah its the GREAT "Q" and the Gee U !@#$ hahhahahahahahahahahahaha ( in the nicest possible way )

Finly Owner
17th April 2011, 11:29 PM
13 pages of absolute larfter

Whats better than what ???

Lets have a look

MQ/MK
You wont buy a better value for $$$ rig anywhere
(Dont compare them to a hilux kiddies,eat em for lunch)

GQ
Best model ever
Look at resale value and the $$$$ good examples are getting
(GQs are worth more than most GUs, nothin more to add)

GU
Well where to start with this
Most who have GUs, have either done their bank account fixing them,or the smart ones sell and buy a GQ
Those that still have a GU,just cant come to terms with how much they cost to repair
Dont be scared drive em, but be carefull of the tick tick (BOOM)sound

edit:
Im not alone on this
The GU was the dearest POS patrol i ever owned
I lost a motsa on resale,and spent tooooo much fixing an underpowered engine

The best value for money patrol i ever had was an MQ SD33 wagon
Reliable everyday for over 3 years,never put a spanner to it
So when are you coming down to help tinker with Mine? LOL

YNOT
18th April 2011, 06:25 AM
So when are you coming down to help tinker with Mine? LOL

Have you got the engine out of the blue MK yet?

Tony

Bob
18th April 2011, 09:00 AM
This thread is amazing

6 days
126 posts ranging from hilarious to just rubbish

MQ MAD
18th April 2011, 09:24 AM
Tim,
Ya know its more fun working on them yourself
That way ya can drink all the beer !!! LOL

Bigrig
18th April 2011, 09:28 AM
Tim,
Ya know its more fun working on them yourself
That way ya can drink all the beer !!! LOL

Ahhhh .... A truly profound and factually correct statement ... lol

GUtsy ute
22nd April 2011, 11:27 AM
Maturing Kid who's Growing Quickly and wants to be a Grown Up!

To be taken in the spirit of this thresd.(Not seriously)

the evil twin
22nd April 2011, 11:44 AM
Owned 'em all at various times, Petty and Deisel, Manual and Auto and one particular model and combination is so far ahead it is hard to know where they went as the dust has long settled and water covered the ruts in the mud... they have aired up or set up camp and are on their second beer waiting for the rest to catch up.

If I told you which vehicle it would wreck the thread so I'll have to keep it to myself I s'pose.

P.S. you get dust and mud O. F. F. R. O. A. D. which is loosely defined in the 4WD Dictionary as "anywhere you won't see a Prado"

MQ MAD
22nd April 2011, 03:19 PM
Does it really matter

Ya dont have a toyo,thats all that matters

Bulbous
23rd April 2011, 05:44 AM
Was expecting much more fireworks here :(

I love GUs - that's why I bought one. Google for "Moreeb" and check out all the GQs though.

In the end it's the driver that really matters.

11 litre V8 in GQ helps a lot though

Bulbous
23rd April 2011, 06:02 AM
http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/daily-planet/february-2011/daily-planet---february-15-2011/#clip418689

growler2058
25th April 2011, 07:45 PM
http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/daily-planet/february-2011/daily-planet---february-15-2011/#clip418689
WOW what a beast dunno about water/mud crossings but thats probably not a problem there........bloody awesome

Finly Owner
26th April 2011, 11:30 PM
Not much Nissan Left though

timbar
26th April 2011, 11:43 PM

wanna get me one of them hahahahahahaha

growler2058
4th May 2011, 05:56 PM
Clearly the GQ is a much more substantial Troll than the GU hahahahahahhahaha

Bulbous
7th May 2011, 06:53 AM
Clearly the GQ is a much more badly parked Troll than the GU hahahahahahhahaha

Fixed that for you :biggrin:

growler2058
7th May 2011, 07:03 AM
Fixed that for you :biggrin:

Oh thanks:jawdrop: HAHAHAHAHAHAh yep the GQ always aims for an obstacle to climb over in this case only the gutter was around:icon_victory:

AB
10th November 2011, 03:51 PM
So yeah as I was saying....lol

Maxhead
10th November 2011, 04:15 PM
I remember you saying go the mighty GU!!!...lol

hutchy84
11th November 2011, 02:20 PM
GU all the way mine has a TD42T and is Great i wouldnt have a 2.8, 3.0 diesel nor a petrol id go a GQ TD42 before the other models

Warnie
11th November 2011, 02:35 PM
If money wasn't an option (that forever problem) I would have a GU TD42T easy with heaps of fruit and some bells and streamers as well. But seeing as though it is I will happily keep my petty/gas GQ and not worry at all.

twinotter600
12th November 2011, 12:39 PM
TD42(T) Y60 all the way to the finish....and no fooking ECU crap either.

teleman
16th November 2011, 07:17 PM
Having owned a GQ and a GU personally, and my folks owning 2 GQ's and 2 GU's.
I would have to say im in for the GU. purely because of the evolutionary stage it showed from Nissan. Love them all though. Cant wait to see the 2012 Patrol...

frenzy
16th November 2011, 07:56 PM
I've got a GU (and love it) but would also love to pick up a GQ shorty and build a kick arse off road beast!!!! The GU gives me the best of both worlds; capable off roader that I can drive to work in relative comfort.

bobbrumby
20th November 2011, 07:38 AM
gq duh but only cause i own one

1peter
20th November 2011, 11:06 AM
The best truck is always the last one you own. Oh yeah, i own a GU so they must be better.

YNOT
20th November 2011, 11:14 AM
The best truck is always the last one you own. Oh yeah, i own a GU so they must be better.

Not in my case, my best Patrol was my second one, '99 GU DX TD42 wagon which I fitted a turbo to. I wish I'd never sold it.

Tony

nowoolies
20th November 2011, 11:14 AM
G U .....lot still goning on about this
and im not bias i got two hahahahahahaha

YNOT
20th November 2011, 11:25 AM
I'm not biased, I could happily own either as long as it has a TD42 - anyone wanna buy a ZD30 engine, it's a good runner!

Tony

Bigrig
20th November 2011, 11:56 AM
I've had both .. happily! But I'm more "happy" to damage the GQ ...

spkool
21st November 2011, 02:11 PM
well i have one of each the gu is realy good at being a wagon but the gq is super heavy duty nasty mongrill for the man who isn't nice to his ute