PDA

View Full Version : Patrol 3.0L Turbo Diesel 2000 Questions (Not bought yet)

liddell
12th April 2011, 06:38 PM
Hi all,

I've intruduced myself in the new members section and following up with the questions if someone can help me out.

Firstly I found this site due to looking at reviews and information regarding the above mentioned vehicle, so you can all help.

Should I go for this vehicle or stay away???????

I found this site because of the this link
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?89-Nissan-Patrol-Reference-Document

Of course I can't download even after registration to this forum, I think you need to post 25 times fisrt, and of course I don't want to post rubbish, can anyone tell me the important stuff from this document on what to look at in buying this Patrol? to make sure its the right vehicle for me or even just the right vehicle?

It looks immaculate, but of course who knows, hopefully you guys and gals can help me with that.
ie tell me what to look for etc

YNOT
12th April 2011, 06:51 PM
Have a read of this thread (It's the same link I put in your intro); http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?672-Want-to-buy-used-3.0-L&highlight=grenade

Do the usual checks as you would with any other second hand vehicle. I wouldn't avoid the vehicle just because it's a ZD30, with a few modifications the early ZD30's can be made reliable.

For the vehicle itself check the big rear door (with the spare wheel on it) for cracks. They usually appear down the side facing the small door about level with the bottom of the window.
If it's a manual get it into 5th gear on a road test and make sure it holds up under acceleration.

Thank you for not putting up 25 posts of rubbish, we do get that occasionally and it's not apprecieated-we ban those people. Join in a few conversations, ask a few questions etc and you'll have 25 up in no time.

Tony

big_fletch
12th April 2011, 07:01 PM
As above what Tony said, many people have them and have no problems..
Have a read of the document and make your mind up from there.. Hope all goes well and let us know how you go mate..

Fletcha

liddell
12th April 2011, 07:06 PM
Ynot, thanks for the input, and thanks for the re-assurance of stating not to avoid the vehicle because of the issue and it can be made reliable, with any hope maybe these mods have been done.

If anyone else can give there opinion on these vehicles, anyone own this vehicle with input etc.

AB
12th April 2011, 07:10 PM
Ynot, thanks for the input, and thanks for the re-assurance of stating not to avoid the vehicle because of the issue and it can be made reliable, with any hope maybe these mods have been done.

If anyone else can give there opinion on these vehicles, anyone own this vehicle with input etc.

I had one for a short period and a friend still has one...

I have to ask though what do you plan on doing with it?

Touring, 4wding, daily driver, etc?

liddell
12th April 2011, 07:30 PM
AB, did you like it? your friend? is he or she happy?
and to answer your question it will be my everyday car, I need the 7 seats it comes with (well not all the time, but on occasion)
I hope to do some 4WDriving, I don't know much about it, been out in the bush a few times in my older 4WD's have used the 4WD mode and needed, but serious, no not really, most of my 4WD have been lifted and had 33 inch tyres which has been quite fun, this one I'm looking at looks quite stock, not even a bull bar, and looks very clean, I most likely will change that, add some extras to it real soon, I like my 4WD's to look like they are just that.
Other then that I like to know I have the option, when I'm in the dirt travelling to locations where I'll be abseiling and rock climbing, I'm not going to be bogged just cause its 2 wheel drive.
I'll also need to tow a trailer here and there, mostly probably dirt bikes around, nothing real heavy, but currently I'm driving a little Barina (which sh!ts me (hope that word is OK, LOL)) and it wouldn't tow anything, helped someone move not to long ago, and I couldn't even tow a trailer for them, I like have an all round vehichle that will do it all, but doesn't have the be best at anyone thing, as mostly its my daily runner carrying me and my 3 kids, sometimes 4 kids and another adult, lol

YNOT
12th April 2011, 07:31 PM
I forgot to add, I own a 2003 3l Patrol as well.

Tony

AB
12th April 2011, 07:37 PM
When you need to say Sh!t we put the explanation mark in and when you need to let loose and go nuts we use %^&*(....lol

Ok, i think the 3lt will be fine mate.

My friend uses the 3 litre to tow bikes and occasionally a horse float and it does it ok. Towing a bike trailer will be fine with the 3 litre.

Personally I reckon they are very economical for what they are and keep the revs up and they have good power. They do struggle from a start but we're not racing and I personally didnt give a rats if there was a sports car behind me at the lights wanting to get up quickly.

For an everyday car, towing a trailer with a bike and occasional light 4wd then thats the car for you!

Just keep the revs up when you need power whilst 4wding and you'll get to pretty much anywhere.

As Tony mentioned, look into the preventative measures and small mods and keep an eye on it and you "shouldn't" have a problem.

big_fletch
12th April 2011, 07:41 PM
When you need to say Sh!t we put the explanation mark in and when you need to let loose and go nuts we use %^&*(....lol

Ok, i think the 3lt will be fine mate.

My friend uses the litre to tow bikes and occasionally a horse float and it does it ok. Towing a bike trailer will be fine with the 3 litre.

Personally I reckon they are very economical for what they are and keep the revs up and they have good power. They do struggle from a start but we're not racing and I personally didnt give a rats if there was a sports car behind me at the lights wanting to get up quickly.

For an everyday car, towing a trailer with a bike and occasional light 4wd then thats the car for you!

Just keep the revs up when you need power whilst 4wding and you'll get to pretty much anywhere.

As Tony mentioned, look into the preventative measures and small mods and keep an eye on it and you "shouldn't" have a problem.

I agree with AB mate, 3.0 should suit you fine... And economical for around town and highway as well

liddell
13th April 2011, 06:14 PM
OK, so had a test drive of the above mentioned Patrol,3.0L Turbo intercooled and need to ask some more questions that hopefully you guys and gals can answer for me.

Its pretty much stock standard, it does have a tow bar and side steps, I think thats about it. no bull bar no lift kit, no larger tyres I think all is orginal.

So is $12000 to much to little? advertised as $13000, said would give to me for $12000 with a year warranty which covers $1500 of repairs anything over and above that will cost me.

The Outside bumper trims are coming off, which he said he would glue back.
There is a smallest amount of rust ( a bubble under paint on left door ) and the same on passenger window frame. Just under the seal, every where else looks pretty good.
I've noticed that the 2 front doors lift slightly when closing on the catches, is this normal for Patrols? (think doors have dropped slightly)
On passenger side both up switches for power windows don't work, had to use master switch on drivers door, to put back up. (fuse, switch replace????)
Interior seems really good condition.
Clutch before I started car was light then got really heavy, I thought it was a clutch problem, however when started it only gets only slighty heaver, does this patrol engine work on clutch somehow?
Biggest problem though is when driving from 2 and a half revs and above get this vooring sound (like a siren just getting louder) when you change gears it goes away. My first thought was the turbo making this noise, but then when I turned the aircon off, I didn't hear it any more, but I didn't on the home straight returning car so didn't test properly and had no time do check again. so what do you think??? Turbo???? Aircon compressor??? anything else????

It seems a bit gutless, but also not too bad, my concern is will it be able to tow, 1st gear seems the worst, and when you go up hills, is it going to maintain speed or will this car die and end up back in 2nd gear doing 20 or 30klms per hour whilst all others are doing 100klms up the same hill, always though diesels were notorious for pulling power, or tractor like slowly, this car feels like it wouldn't get that good 4wd slowly, better 2nd gear end at least 2 and half revs to pull.

So I know its a lot to take in, but I would really appreciate your expertise on this, I want to make the right choice

big_fletch
13th April 2011, 06:31 PM
How many km's did it have on it mate? Would be interesting to know...
When I purchased mine it also was making same vooring sound, ended up being one of the bolts on the egr pipe loose and boost pressure escaping through a small opening.. Hard to say though as can't see the vehicle of course lol

Dark 1
13th April 2011, 06:37 PM
My opinion mate, keep looking. Alot of little problems adds up to one big problem.
Just my 2 cents worth.

big_fletch
13th April 2011, 06:47 PM
My opinion mate, keep looking. Alot of little problems adds up to one big problem.
Just my 2 cents worth.

I'll agree, sounds like could maybe find a better one for about the same about of dollars...
You didn't take any photos by any chance

liddell
13th April 2011, 07:01 PM
Its an ebay ad, here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2000-Nissan-Patrol-GU-II-ST-4X4-5sp-M-Wagon-/350452999240?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item5198a06448
so you can see photos etc, it is a car yard though, reakon he will fix those issues and look into fixing wooring sound, if they were all fixed, what do you all think?
A car sales yard mentioned that the 4.2L diesels are good if you can find one, any input is highly appreciated.

liddell
13th April 2011, 07:02 PM
Pretty sure its was 251000klms on clock

big_fletch
13th April 2011, 07:10 PM
Its an ebay ad, here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2000-Nissan-Patrol-GU-II-ST-4X4-5sp-M-Wagon-/350452999240?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item5198a06448
so you can see photos etc, it is a car yard though, reakon he will fix those issues and look into fixing wooring sound, if they were all fixed, what do you all think?
A car sales yard mentioned that the 4.2L diesels are good if you can find one, any input is highly appreciated.

A 4.2 diesel GU would be a great buy however they will be a hell of a lot more for a good one sorry to say, could however pick up a good gq patrol with a 4.2 for close to what you would like to spend..
The GU your looking at now Looks good in the photos though mate, just the problems you described make it sound like its hard abit of a hard life

YNOT
13th April 2011, 07:33 PM
There is a smallest amount of rust ( a bubble under paint on left door ) and the same on passenger window frame. Just under the seal, every where else looks pretty good. Be very careful, rust is like cancer, you can patch it up but it always comes back. Did you check underneath the car?

I've noticed that the 2 front doors lift slightly when closing on the catches, is this normal for Patrols? (think doors have dropped slightly) Worn door hinges on their own are not a big issue, but what else is worn that you didn't see. The vehicle has obviously had a lot of use.

On passenger side both up switches for power windows don't work, had to use master switch on drivers door, to put back up. (fuse, switch replace????) Will need new switches on the doors, you may be able to repair the old switches. Should be fixed by seller before roadworthy.

Clutch before I started car was light then got really heavy, I thought it was a clutch problem, however when started it only gets only slighty heaver, does this patrol engine work on clutch somehow? This sounds normal, Patrols have a vacuum booster on the clutch.

Biggest problem though is when driving from 2 and a half revs and above get this vooring sound (like a siren just getting louder) when you change gears it goes away. My first thought was the turbo making this noise, but then when I turned the aircon off, I didn't hear it any more, but I didn't on the home straight returning car so didn't test properly and had no time do check again. so what do you think??? Turbo???? Aircon compressor??? anything else???? By your description I would suspect A/C compressor.

It seems a bit gutless, but also not too bad, my concern is will it be able to tow, 1st gear seems the worst, and when you go up hills, is it going to maintain speed or will this car die and end up back in 2nd gear doing 20 or 30klms per hour whilst all others are doing 100klms up the same hill, always though diesels were notorious for pulling power, or tractor like slowly, this car feels like it wouldn't get that good 4wd slowly, better 2nd gear end at least 2 and half revs to pull. A bigger exhaust will get the turbo responding at lower revs. On paper the standard ZD30 and TD42T had almost identical peak power and torque figures. If the engine is still good it should have no trouble pulling a trailer. Mine (3l auto) pulls a heavy camper trailer very nicely, on longer hills I sometimes have to back off to keep the EGT's going too high.

So I know its a lot to take in, but I would really appreciate your expertise on this, I want to make the right choice.
I would keep looking, there are better examples out there.
Tony

big_fletch
13th April 2011, 07:46 PM
Top work there Tony, great writeup

liddell
13th April 2011, 07:53 PM
thanks all for the input, I think he said he is going to fix it all, will call him tomorrow to see if its done etc, I'm quite happy with the vehicle overall, but will keep looking in mean time, think he is a bit doggey, well who really knows, will see, maybe I thought it was sluggish due to the fact I rode down on a Triumph Tiger 955i and this bike flies, lol,

Sir Roofy
13th April 2011, 07:55 PM
Just my 2 cents worth.

id keep looking mate there are others around
if your prepaird to spend big dollars on this one,myself id look elseware

big_fletch
13th April 2011, 07:56 PM
thanks all for the input, I think he said he is going to fix it all, will call him tomorrow to see if its done etc, I'm quite happy with the vehicle overall, but will keep looking in mean time, think he is a bit doggey, well who really knows, will see, maybe I thought it was sluggish due to the fact I rode down on a Triumph Tiger 955i and this bike flies, lol,

I'll tell ya what mate, riding that bike down would not have helped the sluggish feeling LMFAO

Sir Roofy
13th April 2011, 07:59 PM
Top work there Tony, great writeup

x2 tops again tony

liddell
13th April 2011, 08:02 PM
will take ur advice and if its fixed I'll revist and what do you think if it is fixed, however, I do think, maybe I should just keep looking, on parramatta rd there are so many 4wd's out there, might go and visit over the weekend and just look around, its something I don't want to rush into

YNOT
13th April 2011, 08:08 PM
Definately don't rush in. I realise you're probably very keen to get a Patrol but you need to make sure you're putting your hard earned money down on the right car, keep looking there are heaps of 3l Patrols out there. It took AB (forum administrator) 6 months to find the right car, very frustrating for him but well worth the wait.

Tony

liddell
13th April 2011, 08:10 PM
id keep looking mate there are others around
if your prepaird to spend big dollars on this one,myself id look elseware

Do you think that's a lot of money for this?
everything else out there appears to be a lot dearer for same year model or a lot more for just another 2001, I think I keep looking, it appears to be the general opinion.

big_fletch
13th April 2011, 08:10 PM
will take ur advice and if its fixed I'll revist and what do you think if it is fixed, however, I do think, maybe I should just keep looking, on parramatta rd there are so many 4wd's out there, might go and visit over the weekend and just look around, its something I don't want to rush into

Nah don't wanna rush into it mate, something may come up that suits you perfectly and in awesome nic

Sir Roofy
13th April 2011, 08:47 PM
Do you think that's a lot of money for this?
everything else out there appears to be a lot dearer for same year model or a lot more for just another 2001, I think I keep looking, it appears to be the general opinion.
it costs you nothing to look,if you find another one you like or this one crawl under neath and look at the diffs, seals,floor,bash plates look for leaks gouges bent parts,take a magenate with you just a small one,run it over the body see if there is bog or dead skin there,lightly tap the cancer spot see how far it has gone under the paint
hope this helps GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH

Dark 1
13th April 2011, 09:04 PM
You are a master in your own right Tony, top detailed reply.
Liddell, honest opinion keep looking, heaven comes to those who wait.
There is a smallest amount of rust ( a bubble under paint on left door ) and the same on passenger window frame. Just under the seal, every where else looks pretty good. Be very careful, rust is like cancer, you can patch it up but it always comes back. Did you check underneath the car?

I've noticed that the 2 front doors lift slightly when closing on the catches, is this normal for Patrols? (think doors have dropped slightly) Worn door hinges on their own are not a big issue, but what else is worn that you didn't see. The vehicle has obviously had a lot of use.

On passenger side both up switches for power windows don't work, had to use master switch on drivers door, to put back up. (fuse, switch replace????) Will need new switches on the doors, you may be able to repair the old switches. Should be fixed by seller before roadworthy.

Clutch before I started car was light then got really heavy, I thought it was a clutch problem, however when started it only gets only slighty heaver, does this patrol engine work on clutch somehow? This sounds normal, Patrols have a vacuum booster on the clutch.

Biggest problem though is when driving from 2 and a half revs and above get this vooring sound (like a siren just getting louder) when you change gears it goes away. My first thought was the turbo making this noise, but then when I turned the aircon off, I didn't hear it any more, but I didn't on the home straight returning car so didn't test properly and had no time do check again. so what do you think??? Turbo???? Aircon compressor??? anything else???? By your description I would suspect A/C compressor.

It seems a bit gutless, but also not too bad, my concern is will it be able to tow, 1st gear seems the worst, and when you go up hills, is it going to maintain speed or will this car die and end up back in 2nd gear doing 20 or 30klms per hour whilst all others are doing 100klms up the same hill, always though diesels were notorious for pulling power, or tractor like slowly, this car feels like it wouldn't get that good 4wd slowly, better 2nd gear end at least 2 and half revs to pull. A bigger exhaust will get the turbo responding at lower revs. On paper the standard ZD30 and TD42T had almost identical peak power and torque figures. If the engine is still good it should have no trouble pulling a trailer. Mine (3l auto) pulls a heavy camper trailer very nicely, on longer hills I sometimes have to back off to keep the EGT's going too high.

So I know its a lot to take in, but I would really appreciate your expertise on this, I want to make the right choice.
I would keep looking, there are better examples out there.
Tony

katwoman
13th April 2011, 09:06 PM
I have to agree with all above. I dont know alot about each particular model,(of Patrol) but I do know a bit about car sales. Stay away from yards if you can. Buy private. I looked at probaly 15 GU's before I convinced my mechanic to sell me his. You need to take your time. I just did the door hinges on mine ( thanks Rod) and not a big drama. Sounds like you'd have to spend alot before you can even start modifying for yourself. And always lock the hubs in on a test drive.. From what I've seen around it seems a little expensive. But, ultimately it's your choice. Good luck

liddell
14th April 2011, 10:21 AM
wow thanks for all the responses, if we were taking votes, sounds like its a keep looking, seeing all you own a Patrol, and the consensis is to keep looking, thats exactly what I will do.

Eds where?
16th April 2011, 07:10 PM
wow thanks for all the responses, if we were taking votes, sounds like its a keep looking, seeing all you own a Patrol, and the consensis is to keep looking, thats exactly what I will do.

It's hard work looking aroud for cars, I do like test driving them though! Good luck with the serch

GUZD
19th April 2011, 11:34 AM
Hi liddell,

The guys have a lot of expertise here. This forum helped me when I purchased my vehicle.

In regards to that GU, if you don't have the expertise, get a trusted mechanic to look at it and do a compression/leakage test on the engine. 12 grand is cheap, but with no accessories the cost will quickly double.

From your initial post i think your looking for personal experiences. Here are my 2 cents:

I own a 2002 3L auto and I love it.

I use the vehicle for 4wding, as my daily drive and I have set the vehicle up for touring. Like any engine, if its well maintained then it will be fine. Like all newer diesels, the 3.0 is a highly strung and complex engine, but with a few mods and a general understanding of how it operates you will get reliable service.

Remember to keep it in perspective, when you hear bad stories about the 3.0 its best to take them with a grain of salt. I am very new to this forum and I don't really know how other people feel, but if we did a poll on how many forum members ZD30's have died compared to how many are operating reliably, i think the vast majority of ZD30 owners would report positive experiences.

If your keen on a GU, you'll have to weigh up the additional costs of the well renowned 4.2 compared to a cheaper 3.0 or 2.8. Personally, I believe that the 4.2's are overpriced and I decided to go for a 3.0. Price was my main consideration. The price difference between the 3.0 and 4.2 is significant in my opinion, given that, I couldn't go past a 3.0 with accessories and a service history. So I took the "risk".

4wd Action number 162 has a write up on the ZD30. The issue of this engine dieing has been literally done to death. I think that everything that can go wrong with this motor has been reported and discussed over many forums - this alone should give you piece of mind. This issue covers all the major points.

Also, no matter what happens, don't buy a Toyota.

Cheers,

GUZD

my third 256
19th April 2011, 10:55 PM
have a look on http://www.carsales.com.au/ i found mine on there