PDA

View Full Version : Cub Camper

Patrol-Guy
5th March 2016, 08:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I've bitten the bullet and have decided to get a Cub camper. I've never had anything to do with these off road hitches before so am looking for some info regarding the trigg hitch. I had electric brakes fitted today and now I need to get the trigg adapter for the car to replace the towball.

ARB tells me they haven't sold the trigg hitch for like 10 years and there's limited hits on eBay.

Are there all different types styles of these trigg hitches or is there only the one?

Is there a better brand than another?

Thanks for any info.
Paul

MudRunnerTD
5th March 2016, 09:03 PM
You should get the adaptor with the trailer. It bolts onto the tongue through the same hole as the ball.

the evil twin
5th March 2016, 09:32 PM
I use a Mchitch auto coupler... bloody awesome, shits on Tregs etc

http://www.mchitch.com.au/#!automatic-couplers/c1k6h

BigRAWesty
5th March 2016, 10:23 PM
Love treg hitches but of late they have been dominated my a cheaper version refered to as a poly block..
I love the treg and have no issue hooking up the trailers myself and I think it's due to a shamfer on the front of the treg block..
I notice poly blocks are square..
I also prefer the treg for the simple reason it can't come off unless something really really major comes off..
Like tow bar comes off..
The pins are on opposite sides of each other to what they are connected to..
So if.. "if" the block fails it'll still be connected.. Sorta like a back up with the Mc hitch doesn't have..
But both very solid units and so much better than a ball..
The pic below shows the treg shamfer.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/97.jpg

But you can get a bolt on hitch at most places..

BigRAWesty
5th March 2016, 10:25 PM
Imo get this version..
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261614508337&alt=web

They have a lot less overhang that the other bolt on style.
They are also steel and cast..

the evil twin
5th March 2016, 10:33 PM
Apols for the snip, cobber...

So if.. "if" the block fails it'll still be connected.. Sorta like a back up with the Mc hitch doesn't have..

The Mchitch has a back up, the tongue locks in the groove (like a keyway) and the pin locks independantly thru the hitch body.

They are very bulky tho (even more than a Treg) so I only fit mine if I am towing but for someone who travels solo like I do they are the ducks guts.

BigRAWesty
5th March 2016, 10:49 PM
The Mchitch has a back up, the tongue locks in the groove (like a keyway) and the pin locks independantly thru the hitch body.

They are very bulky tho (even more than a Treg) so I only fit mine if I am towing but for someone who travels solo like I do they are the ducks guts.
Was more meaning the uni joint but I think it's safe to say that should never fail..

threedogs
6th March 2016, 08:38 AM
X 2 with ET the Mc Hitch is the way to go these days ,tregg and O'Brien which I use are old school now.
Speaking to some trailer makers they still swear by the 50mm ball,
who needs 360 rotation you are limited buy weight and size where you take your camper/trailer/van.?
A bumpy rutted track might be the worst you'l see. just saying

Rock Trol
6th March 2016, 10:27 PM
My camper came with a Treg hitch but it was a pain to couple up on uneven ground. I bolted a McHitch adaptor to the polyblock and its much easier to connect it.
If you can preorder the hitch so that CUB mount it then even better.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65324&stc=1

micknor51
30th April 2016, 07:49 AM
Hi Rock Trol,
It looks good so Where can you get this coupling from? Currently I am using a Tregg Hitch and as stated it is hard to align on uneven ground.
Cheers
Michael

Touses
30th April 2016, 08:24 AM
Hi micknor51!

I'm using a Mchitch and it is very,very good particularly on broken ground.

Do a google on Mchitch and it should take you straight to site.Sorry can't patch in a link failed cut n paste at kindy level.

The people there are great to deal with too. Prompt delivery in my case.

Cheers bloke!