PDA

View Full Version : GQ bonnet gas strut set up

Forced Offroad
12th April 2011, 04:54 PM
G'day team,
So i have some idea on how to install gas strut for the gq bonnet. The good old fashion way has caved in on me and yes it did hurt the head when the bonnet came down.

Has anyone done it before, and have some pics. Or if you have a gu can I get some pics of the set up.
Cheers jay

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 04:57 PM
G'day team,
So i have some idea on how to install gas strut for the gq bonnet. The good old fashion way has caved in on me and yes it did hurt the head when the bonnet came down.

Has anyone done it before, and have some pics. Or if you have a gu can I get some pics of the set up.
Cheers jay

This would be a dead set hit if someone has done it! We'll all be doing this one!!

AB
12th April 2011, 05:09 PM
This would be a dead set hit if someone has done it! We'll all be doing this one!!

x2 I will put my hand up to give it a whirl first if someone can give pics and instructions.

I had to hold the bonnet up using my head whilst removing the pre filter box when doing the snorkel the other day because the drill wouldn't fit without the lever been put down and I couldn't be bothered finding another support....LMAO

Bob
12th April 2011, 05:16 PM
x2 i will put my hand up to give it a whirl first if someone can give pics and instructions.

I had to hold the bonnet up using my head whilst removing the pre filter box when doing the snorkel the other day because the drill wouldn't fit without the lever been put down and i couldn't be bothered finding another support....lmao

i will take some pics of the gu setup to see if that helps. Working out the load (rating) will be tricky but someone might know

timbar
12th April 2011, 05:18 PM
yeah ive had the ol bonnet in the head a few times struts would be a great idea Good Thinking 99

YNOT
12th April 2011, 05:21 PM
Calling Mr Ferret, we have a job for you.

Tony

PS. score another one to the GU's, they already have gas struts to hold the bonnet up!

Forced Offroad
12th April 2011, 05:28 PM
I will post pics in my build thread and in the qg section when I get around to it. It seems easy done,
Main thing is a Gus strut size that will hold.
Any ideas more than welcome,
Man I love doing mods on gq's sooooo easy to play with for such a awesome 4x4
Ooooooooo that add below reminds me, I need oil....(castrol of course ) ;)

Forced Offroad
12th April 2011, 05:31 PM
the GQ never came out with struts prbably because they were made of real steel and are too heavy for struts ???

It is a heavy bonnet mate. The pain it caused was not nice.
I'm looking a 2 heavy struts, but if I go the Nissan them selve to get gu ones, I'm sure I would pay way over the top.

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 05:37 PM
I might suss out what camper places use for their gear - they are pretty heavy duty struts ... overkill obviously, but still reckon they'd be cheaper than Mr Nissan!!

Forced Offroad
12th April 2011, 05:46 PM
I might suss out what camper places use for their gear - they are pretty heavy duty struts ... overkill obviously, but still reckon they'd be cheaper than Mr Nissan!!

beauty didn't think of.. cracker of an idea.....

timbar
12th April 2011, 05:53 PM
yeah even body builders may have something or an idea of what sort of strut can be used ie type of vehicle that may accomodate

Forced Offroad
12th April 2011, 06:17 PM
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/jbiggsy/a41dca5f.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/jbiggsy/9ac8c78f.jpg

looking at the bottom of the fender.
At this stage im going to make a right angel bracket and bolt it to the fender welded pinch seem
then making a similar bracket the the bonnet...at this stage i was looking in using roofing screw to secure to the bonnet but over time they work lose. but until then it will do until i have a good look at it.

Forced Offroad
12th April 2011, 08:50 PM
Will do mate, get some angel tomorrow and mock something up.
And the gq is still the best nissan has made,

Forced Offroad
12th April 2011, 08:52 PM
nearly an hour between post AB, thats a few more cans there mate....

timbar
12th April 2011, 08:52 PM
Will do mate, get some angel tomorrow and mock something up.
And the gq is still the best nissan has made,

with you on that one for sure we may not have the economy but we definatly got the power and the balls !!!

YNOT
12th April 2011, 10:34 PM
Thread cleaned up.

Tony

Finly Owner
13th April 2011, 12:30 AM
I suggest using EL falcon set up.

Tim

YNOT
13th April 2011, 03:39 AM

Tim

Good idea, wagon tailgate struts may be better than bonnet struts with tailgates being heavier than bonnets. Falcon or Commondore parts are very common so should be a bit cheaper.

Tony

katwoman
13th April 2011, 03:56 AM

Tim

You know Tim, I was just thinking the same thing. Well, I was thinking XF cos of the weight. But EL might be easier to come by.

Bob
13th April 2011, 08:19 AM
The GU has inbuilt Nuts to screw the Struts into and I think that will be a major problem with installing in a GQ.

Bigrig
13th April 2011, 08:23 AM
The GU has inbuilt Nuts to screw the Struts into and I think that will be a major problem with installing in a GQ.

Pessimism won't be tolerated Bob!! Necessity breeds ingenuity ... that sort of negative talk is the kind of stuff you can be banned for ..

Consider yourself forewarned!!! lmfao

Bob
13th April 2011, 08:30 AM
Pessimism won't be tolerated Bob!! Necessity breeds ingenuity ... that sort of negative talk is the kind of stuff you can be banned for ..

Consider yourself forewarned!!! lmfao

sorry boss

Bigrig
13th April 2011, 09:44 AM
sorry boss

LOL!! I knew you'd come round mate!!

Finly Owner
13th April 2011, 10:39 PM
Nutserts will do the job boys! (and girls)

Bob
14th April 2011, 07:34 AM
I told you Scotty that there would be a way but you would not listen LOL

Bigrig
14th April 2011, 07:39 AM
I told you Scotty that there would be a way but you would not listen LOL

LMFAO!!! Yes mate - I should pay more attention to you and stop my pessimistic comments!! lol

ablast
28th April 2014, 01:34 PM
How did the fitting of these gas struts work out? I just bought a set of gas struts from Gas Strut Guys to suit a GR and GU for $29.45 Delivered. I was looking here to see if anyone else had completed this mod. I'll certainly put up the completed job with measurements. The part number for the struts is:- N108.

gramgramfirey
19th May 2014, 08:11 PM
I have a GU, my mate has a GQ.
He purchased a pair of new GU Rams.
Parked them side by side, measured up, drilled and bolted them on, a little stuffing around, but did hold and work.

menace 2
20th May 2014, 12:30 PM
44789.....it is pretty easy to do...the same way as this...you just need a short length of angle about 3mm gauge and cut it out and drill the holes in it.... , just use existing guard bolts for lower, even if you use longer ones but you don't really have to...gives two points of connection for each end for strength...you will have to drill one hole up under the bonnet for the top of strut...(there is already one hole there )..and just use rivnuts up the top...or use the angle off the side of the existing bonnet hinge....which is probably stronger

94patrol
27th August 2017, 05:32 PM
hello there, I am a newbie to this site. anyway, based on the images, what type of struts were used? is it the N108 or something else? cheers :)

Avo
27th August 2017, 06:41 PM
hello there, I am a newbie to this site. anyway, based on the images, what type of struts were used? is it the N108 or something else? cheers :)

hey mate.this weill get lost really quick,go and say g'day to the intro section,hopefully someone see's this and can help

94patrol
27th August 2017, 07:34 PM
ok thanks :smiley_thumbs_up :)