PDA

View Full Version : GQ handbrake spring (@#@# mongrel)

Silver
12th April 2011, 02:04 PM
G'day,

If replacing the springs that hold the handbrake shoes at the top of the backing plate, you may find as I did it is a bit of a mongrel of a job with poor visibility and stuff in the road. Esp the one on the driver's side.

A length of strong cord looped around the end of the spring and used as a handle worked heaps better for me than the more usual vicegrips etc. Once the little #$#@$#@ is seated, just pull the cord free :-)

growler2058
12th April 2011, 02:09 PM
G'day,

If replacing the springs that hold the handbrake shoes at the top of the backing plate, you may find as I did it is a bit of a mongrel of a job with poor visibility and stuff in the road. Esp the one on the driver's side.

A length of strong cord looped around the end of the spring and used as a handle worked heaps better for me than the more usual vicegrips etc. Once the little #$#@$#@ is seated, just pull the cord free :-)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA mate wish you'd posted that a coupla weeks ago!!! What a F!@#$%G nightmare I eventually got mine with needle nose vice grips and plenty of swearing and utter frustration hahahaha. I got a 4" lift so was able to contort myself between the exhaust pipe, tailshaft and rest my head on the exhaust box, I aint exactly jockey sized fella either haha funny lookin back now no humour at the time. Glad I'm not the only one who has been frustrated

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 02:10 PM
G'day,

Top post mate - I pulled mine apart last week to get the transfer case off (didn't have a puller to take off the whole assembly the first time - got access to one now though!) and those springs are a pain in the @rse no doubt!!

timbar
12th April 2011, 02:42 PM
the old G60 i pulled the shoes out and couldnt get the spring back on and for some silly reason i never put it back together and just used to keep a brick in the car and that was my handbrick worked well young and stupid now that i look back at it......lol

Silver
12th April 2011, 05:17 PM
the old G60 i pulled the shoes out and couldnt get the spring back on and for some silly reason i never put it back together and just used to keep a brick in the car and that was my handbrick worked well young and stupid now that i look back at it......lol

an easier solution, and I imagine the brick may have been a bit of a temptation when confronted with problem road users!!!

timbar
12th April 2011, 05:20 PM
my oath it came out a few times but the thought of not having a handbrake i put it away quite quickly mind you the ol girl used to slip when was parked on a hill in 1st gear not so bad though in 4L

timbar
12th April 2011, 05:25 PM
actually the beuty of the G60 was i had 2H 2L 4H 4L there was 2 transfer sticks 1 selected 2wd / 4wd and the other selected High range and Low range good Idea thought great for moving stuff up hills in 2wd oh and doing wheelstands 2L 2nd gear would pull both front wheels off the ground for a couple of metres in the road

HippoNZ
12th April 2011, 07:35 PM
Hahahahahahahaha timbar, I know the feeling of a handbrake with it's own mind. Had the trol take off on me once when I got out to get the snatch to recover my mates toyota! things ya do huh

timbar
12th April 2011, 07:47 PM
yeah me 2 i had a rocky hill climb i couldnt get up after going at this hill for a while i finally made it to the top i parked up jumped out all excited watching the next guy turned around and the ol G60 had taken off on its own down the otherside of the hill and Thank F@ck casually stoped at the bottom with no damage exept my high blood presure