PDA

View Full Version : Lpg fuel gauge

Bob
12th April 2011, 08:34 AM
The LPG Fuel Gauge on my Patrol is the usual one with a series of Lights which is quite inaccuate as you go from full to nearly empty in 50 k"s.

Does anyone have one of the following and what do they think of it ?

http://www.olympicinstruments.com.au/p-2718-fuel-gauge-lpg-52mm-12v.aspx

boggy2006
12th April 2011, 09:06 AM
I've found the same with my gauge, sometimes it even jumps up to full again when it's nearly empty. I think it depends on whether the problem is the gauge or the fuel level sender in the tank.

Bigrig
12th April 2011, 09:29 AM
Yep - same goes ... that said, when it hits red after jumping back to two thirds full, I usually know it's time to switch back to petrol!! The gauge is ok as a general indicator, bit only goes into the red when it is really getting low.

Sir Roofy
12th April 2011, 12:59 PM
The LPG Fuel Gauge on my Patrol is the usual one with a series of Lights which is quite inaccuate as you go from full to nearly empty in 50 k"s.

Does anyone have one of the following and what do they think of it ?

http://www.olympicinstruments.com.au/p-2718-fuel-gauge-lpg-52mm-12v.aspx

hi bob
what they did with mine was ,wired into the sub tank gauge for gas and wired up the sub tank petrol to the main gauge
once i got used to the gas being on there its easy to estimate how much gas ive got left
when the needle reaches just past half ive done over 200ks
hope this helps mate

timbar
12th April 2011, 01:13 PM
mine doesnt work at all i just get a red light that indicates that im on gas i gave up on mine 5 years ago and just watch the kms or wait till it runs out and flick it onto petrol

WHITEGQ
14th April 2011, 09:02 PM
Hi,
Welcome to the wonderfull world of the LPG guage, they usally have a mind of their own, accept when they are new, or when you do get one that works it is very rare to find. I have 2 LPG guages in my patrol, with twin tanks and sometimes they are very accurate, but mostly not worth having. Main tank (100lt) guage shows full most of the time, then goes to red, usually get about 50-60 on red then empty.

On second tank(80lt) guage shows full when full then it will drop to empty then back to full, then like other guage goes to red and get about 40-50klm on red. Have tried several different types, nw and second hand, changed component on tank, but still never accuate.

katwoman
14th April 2011, 10:37 PM
hi bob
what they did with mine was ,wired into the sub tank gauge for gas and wired up the sub tank petrol to the main gauge
once i got used to the gas being on there its easy to estimate how much gas ive got left
when the needle reaches just past half ive done over 200ks
hope this helps mate

X2. I have I think 2 light gauges tucked up under dash, somewhere, but have the same as Roofy. Is great idea, although petrol gauge is not accurate. 1/4 is empty !

Dapple
25th February 2012, 06:33 PM
I have a led gas fuel gauge also which i find a pain in where I sit. I use my trip meter and when I reach my set range I either switch to petrol or refuel.

97_gq_lwb
25th February 2012, 06:49 PM
I set mine up to work on the factory gauge and it worked great.
So when on petrol the gauge showed petrol when switched to lpg it showed the lpg level
It was a bit of a pain finding the right tank sensor to suit from what i can remember.

Dapple
25th February 2012, 06:58 PM
I set mine up to work on the factory gauge and it worked great.
So when on petrol the gauge showed petrol when switched to lpg it showed the lpg level
It was a bit of a pain finding the right tank sensor to suit from what i can remember.

Do you still have the information and could you please post how you did it.

97_gq_lwb
25th February 2012, 08:40 PM
No info was a long time ago but basically your petrol sender works the same way as an lpg sender you just need to match the resistance full and empty to that of the petrol sender unit and wire it up.