PDA

View Full Version : My Honeymoon - Advice needed!

rusty_nail
12th February 2016, 08:18 AM
Hi Guys,

Im not far away from getting married now and they honeymoon will be shortly after that. Tegan and I were doing some final pre planning last night and i wanted to run the itinerary by you all to make sure that we arent missing out on anything. ANY input would be greatly appreciated. Also, should i carry much cash out there? i usually just use card for everything but would assume that having a small sum of cash on hand would be handy?

We're going to Central Australia, here is the itinerary:

Day 1: Fly into Alice Springs, were just gonna wander round town (although i dont expect there will be much around on a Sunday?)
Day 2: Pickup Campervan, Leave Alice on Namatijira Drive. Drive to Stanley Chasm and Simpsons Gap Camping along Hugh River 51KM
Day 3: Visit Serpentine Creek and Ellery Creek Big Hole. Staying at Ormiston Gorge 93 KM
Day 4: Still in Ormiston Gorge
Day 5: Staying near Tylers Pass( we cant find anywhere halfway between kings canyon and ormiston gorge, yes if roads are open we will be travelling down the back/dirt road) 32KM
Day 6: Kings Canyon Resort
Day 7: Kings Canyon Resort
Day 8: Kings Canyon Resort
Day 9: Uluru & Surrounds 321KM
Day 10: Uluru & Surrounds
Day 11: Uluru & Surrounds
Day 12: Visit Mt Connor Lookout Stay at Curtin Springs 102KM
Day 13: Redbank Waterhole (near Owen Springs Reserve)
Day 14: Last Night in Alice
Day 15: Fly to Darwin
Day 16: Darwin
Day 17: Darwin
Day 18: Flying Home to sydney

In the central oz part were thinking of doing a few touristy things,

Helicopter ride in kings canyon
Camel ride over the Macdonnell Ranges
Possibly a hot air baloon ride around Alice
Lots of walking

Now Darwin was a last minute add-on to the trip, but were thinking of going to Litchfield NP, Berry Springs and a river boat cruise. For anyone that knows the area are those places worth seeing? Or are there places that are even more worth seeing? lol.

Like I said, if any of you know any of these places and think i have missed anything important or worth seeing i would appreciate the input greatly.

Cheers

Nic

MudRunnerTD
12th February 2016, 08:28 AM
Have an awesome time.

Walking will be awesome.

Don't forget the Olgas.

rusty_nail
12th February 2016, 08:31 AM
Have an awesome time.

Walking will be awesome.

Don't forget the Olgas.

thanks mate, yeah im more keen on the olgas than uluru tbh lol. i did forget to mention we were going there tho =D

lucus30
12th February 2016, 08:42 AM
Hi Guys,

Im not far away from getting married now and they honeymoon will be shortly after that. Tegan and I were doing some final pre planning last night and i wanted to run the itinerary by you all to make sure that we arent missing out on anything. ANY input would be greatly appreciated. Also, should i carry much cash out there? i usually just use card for everything but would assume that having a small sum of cash on hand would be handy?

We're going to Central Australia, here is the itinerary:

Day 1: Fly into Alice Springs, were just gonna wander round town (although i dont expect there will be much around on a Sunday?)
Day 2: Pickup Campervan, Leave Alice on Namatijira Drive. Drive to Stanley Chasm and Simpsons Gap Camping along Hugh River 51KM
Day 3: Visit Serpentine Creek and Ellery Creek Big Hole. Staying at Ormiston Gorge 93 KM
Day 4: Still in Ormiston Gorge
Day 5: Staying near Tylers Pass( we cant find anywhere halfway between kings canyon and ormiston gorge, yes if roads are open we will be travelling down the back/dirt road) 32KM
Day 6: Kings Canyon Resort
Day 7: Kings Canyon Resort
Day 8: Kings Canyon Resort
Day 9: Uluru & Surrounds 321KM
Day 10: Uluru & Surrounds
Day 11: Uluru & Surrounds
Day 12: Visit Mt Connor Lookout Stay at Curtin Springs 102KM
Day 13: Redbank Waterhole (near Owen Springs Reserve)
Day 14: Last Night in Alice
Day 15: Fly to Darwin
Day 16: Darwin
Day 17: Darwin
Day 18: Flying Home to sydney

In the central oz part were thinking of doing a few touristy things,

Helicopter ride in kings canyon
Camel ride over the Macdonnell Ranges
Possibly a hot air baloon ride around Alice
Lots of walking

Now Darwin was a last minute add-on to the trip, but were thinking of going to Litchfield NP, Berry Springs and a river boat cruise. For anyone that knows the area are those places worth seeing? Or are there places that are even more worth seeing? lol.

Like I said, if any of you know any of these places and think i have missed anything important or worth seeing i would appreciate the input greatly.

Cheers

Nic

Looks like a great trip. Only advice I can give is be wary of the locals if you haven't been up that way before.
Every experience I've had with them was massively negative

jack
12th February 2016, 09:13 AM
Hey Nic,

Kata Tjuta (Olgas) for sure, been there twice and enjoyed it more than the rock. Darwin, I've never been there but have friends who live there and they rate Litchfield above Kakadu.
Cards are/were accepted just about everywhere but always take some cash. PM Nisshead if you want some cheap indigenous art in the Alice.
Just enjoy and yourself and take care.

rusty_nail
12th February 2016, 09:22 AM
Hey Nic,

Kata Tjuta (Olgas) for sure, been there twice and enjoyed it more than the rock. Darwin, I've never been there but have friends who live there and they rate Litchfield above Kakadu.
Cards are/were accepted just about everywhere but always take some cash. PM Nisshead if you want some cheap indigenous art in the Alice.
Just enjoy and yourself and take care.

Thanks mate, i was just doing abit more research and my F**&%^ campervan is definitely not allowed to be driven on dirt. i booked it like 12 months ago im so annoyed i am only finding this out now as it really messes (being polite) our travel plans. im so bloody annoyed

threedogs
12th February 2016, 10:36 AM
Katherine gorge is only 3 hrs south of Darwin , with the open limits wont take you long.
Found the Croc farm south of Darwin to be awesome, Doctors Gulley at the end of Mitchell st to hand feed
100s of fish.
Darwin is awesome

rusty_nail
12th February 2016, 11:43 AM
Have an awesome time.

Walking will be awesome.

Don't forget the Olgas.

hey dazz,

where bouts in that trip would you slip down to palm valley? now that ive had to hire a 4wd camper im going to make use of it and i remember you saying that palm valley was an abcolute must do!

MudRunnerTD
12th February 2016, 12:20 PM
hey dazz,

where bouts in that trip would you slip down to palm valley? now that ive had to hire a 4wd camper im going to make use of it and i remember you saying that palm valley was an abcolute must do!

Drive day 7 and stay the night at Palm Valley. While your up there find our if the Ernest Giles road is open and duck down to Uluru that way, will save significant travel time.

Or Miss Tylers Pass and go South and do Palm Valley before Kings Canyon?

TPC
12th February 2016, 12:37 PM
Litchfield is definately worth going to, it is really spectacular, you will need a full day to see it so make an early start. When are you going? A lot of the river boat cruises do not operate during the wet.

rusty_nail
12th February 2016, 12:55 PM
Or Miss Tylers Pass and go South and do Palm Valley before Kings Canyon?

im thinking this will be the way, backtrack to palm valley, then backtrack to the mereene loop. the camper isnt covered on the boggy hole track so either way i need to back track

Litchfield is definately worth going to, it is really spectacular, you will need a full day to see it so make an early start. When are you going? A lot of the river boat cruises do not operate during the wet.

hey mate, yeah we may even do litchfield two days in a row lol, just depends on how we feel about it after the first day we might wanna go back for more we might wanna do something else. were going there at the end of march, so we might still get some rain (from what ive been told)

it seems like ive picked pretty decent spots at the moment going by everyones advice and thanks everyone who has chipped in 2c so far!

taslucas
12th February 2016, 01:00 PM
hey dazz,

I thought being on a honeymoon would guarantee you wouldn't have to "slip down to palm Valley..."

>>>tappin from tassie

the evil twin
12th February 2016, 01:14 PM
I lived in Darwin region for 13 years and was over in the West Macs/Uluru etc 18 months ago.

I would spend a little less time at Kings (only need two days IMHO) and Uluru (only need two days IMHO) and drive from Alice to Darwin
That way you can also see
Devils Marbles,
Mataranka (I would suggest staying O/N at Mataranka, Katherine or Adelaide River) Hot Springs, Elsey Homestead, Mataranka Caves
Katherine Gorge is a MUST see IMHO and I would do a Chopper ride there rather than Kings Canyon if I had to choose
Adelaide River WW11 sites if that spins your wheels

Darwin Region...
Litchfield is better/easier/quicker to enjoy than Kakadu hands down
A jumping croc cruise suits a lot of people
The Darwin Military museum, the NT Musuem and Art Gallery/Fannie Bay and the Aviation Museum (only B52 Bomber outside the US) are all pretty bloody awesome (google them)
Territory Wildlife Park is world class (do at the same time as Litchfield)
Sunset Cruise on Darwin Harbour (I used to drive the boat for that and the Jumping Crocs waaaaay back)

Bottom line is the N.T. is terrific and no matter how long you stay you a) won't have enough time and b) will be busting to go back

the evil twin
12th February 2016, 01:17 PM
... should also add that if you have Fish and Chips in Darwin (Darwin Wharf is the go not Cullen Bay) get Threadfin Salmon not Barra
Territorians eat Thready, we leave the second rate fish like Barra for the Tourists

rusty_nail
12th February 2016, 01:44 PM
I lived in Darwin region for 13 years and was over in the West Macs/Uluru etc 18 months ago.

I would spend a little less time at Kings (only need two days IMHO) and Uluru (only need two days IMHO) and drive from Alice to Darwin
That way you can also see
Devils Marbles,
Mataranka (I would suggest staying O/N at Mataranka, Katherine or Adelaide River) Hot Springs, Elsey Homestead, Mataranka Caves
Katherine Gorge is a MUST see IMHO and I would do a Chopper ride there rather than Kings Canyon if I had to choose
Adelaide River WW11 sites if that spins your wheels

Unfortunately this just isnt an option, and tbh, we want to do alot of the walks and just get some R&R nto be on the road the whole time, there will always be next time for these other places and believe me there will be a next time.

Darwin Region...
Litchfield is better/easier/quicker to enjoy than Kakadu hands down
A jumping croc cruise suits a lot of people
The Darwin Military museum, the NT Musuem and Art Gallery/Fannie Bay and the Aviation Museum (only B52 Bomber outside the US) are all pretty bloody awesome (google them)
Territory Wildlife Park is world class (do at the same time as Litchfield)
Sunset Cruise on Darwin Harbour (I used to drive the boat for that and the Jumping Crocs waaaaay back)

Bottom line is the N.T. is terrific and no matter how long you stay you a) won't have enough time and b) will be busting to go back

haha youve left me with some beg decisions to make there mate sounds like darwin is packed and full of awesome things to do i like the sound of a sunset cruise though!

... should also add that if you have Fish and Chips in Darwin (Darwin Wharf is the go not Cullen Bay) get Threadfin Salmon not Barra
Territorians eat Thready, we leave the second rate fish like Barra for the Tourists

also will def take you up on that, its always nice to try new fish!

the evil twin
12th February 2016, 02:08 PM
No worries, Cobber...

Just saw you are going in March.
An air tour of the Arnhem Escarpment is deadset out of this world that time of year as the falls are in full flow and the wetlands cover millions of hectares.
Kakadu and Arnhem waterfalls etc are all rainfall fed so taper right off in the dry, Litchfield is spring fed so flow all the time but more in the wet obviously.
Litchfield may or may not still have some falls and pools closed depending on how late a wet season

threedogs
12th February 2016, 02:40 PM
Sorry but can only give advice to about 6pm,
after that my friend you're on your own, lol
There are hot springs at Corn Patch in Litchfield NP
Adelaide river is worth a look to
Mataranka is a must for an overnighter, watch your belongings

jay see
12th February 2016, 07:19 PM
We're going to Central Australia

This is where I stopped reading...
I'll meet you at Alice, you won't even know I'm there.

I'll be you very own tour guide. Directions, ahh well just wing it.

rusty_nail
12th February 2016, 08:05 PM
This is where I stopped reading...
I'll meet you at Alice, you won't even know I'm there.

I'll be you very own tour guide. Directions, ahh well just wing it.

haha mate everyone has bagged me out (not from here i mean friends that just dont understand) saying "wouldnt you just prefer to goto a tropical island or thailand or fiji or somewhere like that? well fuck no! i wanna go somewhere i will never forget and want to go back for more!

Rossco
12th February 2016, 08:41 PM
You guys are going to have a ball nicko, awsome idea and area i reckon. Ellery ck big hole is one of my favorites, could sacrifice a day @ ulury or kings and stay the night there i reckon - beautiful spot, great for swimming. Sure you'll do it but garden of eden and down to the top of the falls at the top of kings canyon is pretty awesome.

Berry springs in darwin is worth it too, nice spot.

Enjoy lucky buggers ur going too love it

Cuppa
12th February 2016, 09:58 PM
The Valley of the Winds walk in Kata Tjuta is one of the most spectacular walks we’ve done. Allow a day just for this.

happygu
12th February 2016, 10:23 PM
Rusty,

Sunrise Balloon Ride in Alice is fantastic ... well worth the trip, an let us know if you nearly crash into the Alice Springs airport fence like we did :)

My favorite spots out the West side are Ellery Creek Big Hole, Glen Helen, and Redbank Gorge ( assuming you cant go to Palm Valley and Boggy Hole in the campervan ), and I would look at camping at Ellery Creek Big Hole or the other above mentioned spots.

You could do a Palm Valley 4wd Tour from Alice, as it is a great spot, and might add a bit of variety into the trip.

I love Kings Canyon, and would rate it as the best spot in the South end of the NT .. allow one day for the rim walk, and a second for the valley floor walk.

Uluru and Kata Juta are awesome for first time viewers too, along with the views to Mt Conner ( This is on the road to Uluru from the Stuart Hwy, and lots of people think it is Uluru as they approach ). I loved climbing the rock, and we spent around three hours exploring all over the top instead of just going straight up and down. Lots to see on the top ... there are jump ups, trees, sometimes water ponds, flowers, grasses, etc. it all depends on what your attitude is to the recommendation not to climb.

Out the other side of Alice in the MacDonnells , is Trephina Gorge and Arltunga, which are worth seeing too.

Feeding the little rock wallabies at the Heavy Tree Gap Caravan Park at dusk is fun too.

As mentioned by ET, Litchfield is far superior to Kakadu, especially if you don't have a 4wd to get away from the crowds. Kakadu is spectacular in parts, and truly so if the lagoons are filled with millions of Magpie Geese or other migratory birds.

You will have a ball.

rusty_nail
13th February 2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks guys!!! I really appreciate the advice.

Wow I didn't realise Lichfield was so pretty we might have to spend more than one day traveling there.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Sir Roofy
13th February 2016, 09:10 AM
We wish you both all the best for the future

Take care out there

Regards Roofy & Jane

jay see
13th February 2016, 09:58 AM
Oh yeah, what roofy said as well.

Cuppa
13th February 2016, 12:32 PM
The Valley of the Winds as previously mentioned.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/06/2.jpg

threedogs
13th February 2016, 02:23 PM
I've actually been swimming on top of Ayers Rock back in 1980, I left the rock to go to Alice the day before a "Dingos' got my baby"
My mate was a Ranger and we could 4x4 where no one else could go, Then the Rangers Qrts were right at the base of the Rock.
Best time ever Alice was still a Frontier town no traffic lights, no Mall. Been back a few times, as you said why go Overseas
when we have the "Outback and Tropics" on our doorstep

MudRunnerTD
13th February 2016, 02:39 PM
The Valley of the Winds walk in Kata Tjuta is one of the most spectacular walks we’ve done. Allow a day just for this.

Yes i have done this walk also and rate it highly. I have spoken with Nic and told him a day at the Olgas is a Must.

A light plane or choppa ride over Uluru and the Olgas will be awesome!!!