PDA

View Full Version : GQ recovery point - fitting outback ideas model, and interesting KIWI link incl tests

Silver
11th April 2011, 09:04 PM
G'day,

Some questions below, and also a link to an interesting Kiwi site.

Thanks to all who have contributed here on this topic - fascinating.

I've been thinking about options for a second recovery point on the front of the Mav for a while now. It has 10R15 all terrain tyres, and rear lsd only, so will fail to proceed rather than dig humungous holes I think. At one stage I had Pirelli Dakkars on an MQ - they didn't dig holes and failed to proceed on wet grass, but were great in sand.

Anyhooo....

I have an 8000 kg breaking strain snatch strap, and an 8000kg bridle that I think is 2.5m long. thus the enclosed angle of the bridle will be a bit more than 45 degrees. with the benefit of hindsight, I could have got a longer bridle.

This Kiwi site has some interesting test results and thoughts, albeit a few years old now:

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73888&sid=7acbdec9c49529f6dd051e0d27cc4221 Note they like hooks etc. that straighten rather than break.

I have decided to fit an Outer Limits plate to the inside of the LHS dumb iron that is, the chassis behind the bull/bumper bar (alloy 'factory' bar in my case). I know to use grade 8 bolts.

I was thinking of fitting a plate inside the chassis to spread the load. (there are no captive nuts on this side) I mentioned this to boilermaker mate who is keen to weld the nuts to the plate. I'll speak to the bolt shop about this as it can't help the temper of the nut, but I don't know if this is significant. It will make it easier to fit, but I don't plan on taking it off again :-)

Any views on the value of a plate over washers? Any views from experts on effect of welding the nuts?

I was not going to fit a hook to the spot on the Outer Limits plate, however if the mighty Mav is to be snatched, the snatcher has to be happy, and may insist on a hook. With that in mind I'll probably get a rated hook from a reputable outlet, and fit that to the Outer Limits plate

There are no signs of damage to the factory hook. The vehicle to date has been used to tow things, as far as I can tell, rather than off roading - and certainly I haven't belted or used it. Given I am going to use a bridle/equaliser, I am thinking of leaving the factory hook in place - would welcome your views.

Thanks in anticipation:tongue:

madk1w1
11th April 2011, 09:41 PM
Silver I made my own plates from 12mm plate they bolt to the side of chassis rail where the bullbar bolts go and have both a hook bolted to them and a hole for a shacle to fit.
I discussed with the Boily at work, lifting lugs require the radius of hole as the minimum "meat" from hole to edge, according to him and they lift 5plus tonne on this principle, no problem with this in my world.
I am yet to see a rated SWL stamped on any recovery point supplied for a 4wd, could be wrong there, comes down to users if it looks dodgy don't use it! I'll grab some pics tomorrow if interested, still have one not fitted due to general mods going on.

threedogs
28th June 2012, 10:32 AM
Hi. John from Outback Ideas, I do have rated recovery points . SWL and WWL only apply to lifting. My recovery points are proof rated to match the 4x4 ie 4.2 manual 3.5t and GU 3lt auto 2.5t' all this means it can pull either 3.5 or 2.5 all day. I then have them destruction tested to see when they break, I try to acheive 16t plus. If not I redesign them. I don't stamp them as I sell to many plus its a pain in the $%^&. send a PM if you need more info. Cheers John

Finly Owner
28th June 2012, 08:51 PM
Hi. John from Outback Ideas, I do have rated recovery points . SWL and WWL only apply to lifting. My recovery points are proof rated to match the 4x4 ie 4.2 manual 3.5t and GU 3lt auto 2.5t' all this means it can pull either 3.5 or 2.5 all day. I then have them destruction tested to see when they break, I try to acheive 16t plus. If not I redesign them. I don't stamp them as I sell to many plus its a pain in the $%^&. send a PM if you need more info. Cheers John

This is true............but............how do they get ratings on towbars, recovery hooks, and straps etc. And the bow shackle we use have ratings but onceagain and really only SWL for lifting strain not snatch straining. How many of us use a Towbar with a receiver recovery point in it. Have you actually looked at the rating of your towbar. Most go to MAX 3500kg "TOW" rating. Not Snatch loading dead weght of 2500kg Patrol stuck in mud.

I can just hera some of you saying to yourself now, "I'll check my Spectag on mytowbar tomorrow"

There is always a weak point! Realising it, acknowledging it, and doing the safest and best efforts of eliminating danger is what it is really about.

Tim

threedogs
30th June 2012, 06:30 PM
The Tow RATING is is done at a NATA facility and hooked up to the test bed, they put 2 scribe marks say 10mm apart and reach say 3.5T x 50 times. they then measure the distance between the marks if it has remained the same with no deflection a certificate is supplied. A certificate is also supplied with this info stating that. even 1mm deflection would IMO be a failure, then a another point is hooked up to the test bed and pulled till destruction. I try to acheive 16 plus tonne, if not I redesign . Of all the COPIES of my product out there not one of them is RATED. ALL they have done is STOLEN my idea for their own gain, they have not DESIGNED,FITTED or TESTED any of them. I do my best to put the best available product on the market for receational, mining and Jo Blow. Hope this clears this up finally