PDA

View Full Version : Common rail for GQ 4.2 TD.

wojtech
11th April 2011, 06:59 PM
Can you get a common rail electronic setup to bolt onto my 94 GQ 4.2 with aftermarket turbo??

YNOT
11th April 2011, 08:44 PM
No.

Common rail fuel injection is not something that can be retro fitted to older engines. Even working on common rail fuel systems is NOT a DIY job. The pressures inside CRD systems are extremely high making them dangerous to work on unless you are fully trained.

Tony

Sir Roofy
11th April 2011, 09:36 PM
no.

Common rail fuel injection is not something that can be retro fitted to older engines. Even working on common rail fuel systems is not a diy job. The pressures inside crd systems are extremely high making them dangerous to work on unless you are fully trained.

Tony
ok tony
that sounds a bit daunting for a common rail owner,what happens if you need to change a fuel filter or you want to add a water trap
do you have to use a mechanic every time??

YNOT
11th April 2011, 10:00 PM
The fuel line and filter is still low pressure the same as a regular diesel system so can be worked on the same way. The high pressures are created by the diesel pump on the engine.

Tony

Mrowka
12th April 2011, 12:53 AM
Why would you want it?

wojtech
12th April 2011, 09:49 AM
Just a thought, seeing as buying a full modern crate motor would probably cost more than I paid for my truck. Not that there is anything wrong with the current engine apart from its mileage, one day it will need work.
I just like the idea of buying a chip that plugs into the ECU and allows you to upgrade performance and/or economy. Sorta can't do that easily with mech. fuel pump.
Not gonna happen though I spose

YNOT
12th April 2011, 11:35 AM
A twin cam common rail TD42 would be a killer engine, but it will never happen unfortunately.
You can buy aftermarket fully programmable ECU for common rail engines which would be interesting if you did drop in a late model CRD engine.

Tony

Sir Roofy
12th April 2011, 12:22 PM
The fuel line and filter is still low pressure the same as a regular diesel system so can be worked on the same way. The high pressures are created by the diesel pump on the engine.

Tony

excellent,keep up the good work tony