PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got, or have any thoughts, on the TaipanXP exhaust for the ZD30?

GUZD
11th April 2011, 03:49 PM
I am considering putting a Taipan XP exhaust on my rig (2002 GU 3.0)

I had a chat to one of the NSW distributors and he advised that it will drop EGT's by about 200 degrees. I am considering this system to improve the longevity of my engine.

Interested in experiences and opinions in relation to how this after-market exhaust may effect my boost or reliability?

Cheers,

GUZD

big_fletch
11th April 2011, 07:14 PM
I don't have a exhaust on my 3.0 however I am looking for a system as well..
I have heard from a lot of people that the tiapan system is a very good system and very good quality..
I have also been looking at sterling exhausts as well which are also supposed to be good.. Keep us updated on how you go as I'm sure other owners will be watching this thread with interest

Fletcha

kingy
11th April 2011, 07:58 PM
200 Degrees C thats a big claim....From hat I have heard they are a quality system but expensive.

I cant for me see how an exhaust alone can drop EGT by 200C cant see how it could 200F even truth be known. My reasoning for this is that everything that affects EGT's happens before the Dump pipe.

Happy to proven wrong but that is my understanding. Improve Low down torque, sound great, yep my after market exhaust has done all that.

Cheers

YNOT
11th April 2011, 08:39 PM
There's no doubting the quality of the Taipan exhaust but they are expensive. You can pick up an exhaust for under $1000, it might not have the bling but it will do the same job.
I agree with Kingy that a 200 degree drop in EGT's sounds a bit optimistic.

I would be fitting boost and pyro gauges first if you haven't already as it's common for boost to alter with a bigger exhaust fitted. If it does change you will need to control the boost with either a dawes valve or by adjusted the turbo VNT screw.

Tony

big_fletch
11th April 2011, 10:39 PM
I would recommend a sterling exhaust mate, can pick them up for about $1000 and appear to be a quality product.. The local shop here reckons he has sold heaps of them with all his customers happy with them..
Another brand to look at might be Redback??

Chaz
13th April 2011, 12:53 PM
Fitting a 3” exhaust to a ZD30 can produce significant improvements in lowering EGT’s and performance, but I too would question 200C, certainly without other mods. I think that Taipan also suggest some sort of manual boost control because it most likely will increase boost and spoolup times, so limp mode may become an issue.
It's a step in the right direction, particularly if you have other mods to complement the exhaust and the fuel system is tuned to take advantage of it.

snicko
17th April 2011, 09:08 PM
Hi GUZD
Just had a Taipan 3" exhaust fitted. (2006 3LTD) Also had fitted a boost guage, pyrometer and a steinbaur chip. The 4be she absolutely flies. Took her serious sand driving a couple of weeks ago and its like having a V8 super car with lost of grunt.. but.... having a few teething problems with the boost spiking. I asked a heap of questions on this forum and got good advise but as my exprience with the spanners is limited to putting on the sand flag I need someone who know what they are doing. My mechanic has been adjusting the Turbo VNT screw and by doing this he has had the temp range from 550 to 630 degrees with the difference being relevant to how well she goes. Not sure if this is going to be enough and may need a dawes valve fitted. On going....
Seriously thinking about making a road trip ovet the border but the other half is not so keen.
Good luck with your research.
Snicko

kingy
1st May 2011, 10:42 AM
Sorry Mate just saw this reply I was over your way over easter would of been happy to show you my dawes/needle setup 2006 is that the first of the CR's ? or a DI like my 2005?