PDA

View Full Version : 2nd batt in quarter

garett
31st January 2016, 04:36 PM
has anyone fitted a battery into the rear quarter panel ?

was thinking about fitting one or more smaller battery's behind the cover and have plugs accessible on the panel trim.

sorry if this has been covered i looked but i suck at searching.

blocko05
20th May 2016, 08:29 AM
Hi garett did you end up putting in the battery in the quarter pannel by any chance. If so do you have any pics by any chance.

garett

garett
21st May 2016, 02:11 PM
still working it out at the moment thinking of building the wheel arches up to the windows and hiding it in there. but not started work on it. just in planning and saving.

the evil twin
21st May 2016, 02:59 PM
If you want an alternative with a ton of grunt, small, super light weight and safe maybe try a Lithium Phosphate.
A couple of the motor bike size will be the same as about 75 AH lead acid and last heaps longer.

Price is a bit scary but coming down

BigRAWesty
21st May 2016, 06:43 PM
There is plenty of room..
I've just mounted my thumper compressor in there..http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/255.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/256.jpg

garett
21st May 2016, 08:47 PM
i'm not keen on cutting out supports. with out bracing it. but those photos are very helpful. thanks

BigRAWesty
21st May 2016, 09:22 PM
i'm not keen on cutting out supports. with out bracing it. but those photos are very helpful. thanks
Nothing was cut mate..
There was a couple of brackets for the rear ac but all bolt in..
So no cutting anything..

garett
21st May 2016, 09:32 PM
mines a gq and i'm pretty sure the bracing is welded. last time i had the trim off... rear a/c oooooh, nope i got none of that.

BigRAWesty
21st May 2016, 10:39 PM
mines a gq and i'm pretty sure the bracing is welded. last time i had the trim off... rear a/c oooooh, nope i got none of that.
Ow sorry mate yea mines a gu..
If you remove the jack cradle that opens up a bit of room. Maybe a small 70-100ah battery in there..
The gq does come in a long way above the wheel arch and doesn't leave much depth in the pannel..

LostBenji
22nd May 2016, 07:56 AM
Don't forget, a lot of sealed batteries (Deep Cycle) can be laid on their sides and mounted under the floor area. No venting of corrosive fumes into cabin (yes, you need to vent any/every battery mounted in cabin) or steelwork.

garett
22nd May 2016, 05:13 PM
i'll look at under the floor but not keen on it as my fuel tank takes up most of that and would need a box to stop stones/rocks/ the ground

BigRAWesty
22nd May 2016, 08:04 PM
How far do your draws come towards your rear seats?
Can you slip one in there??

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

garett
23rd May 2016, 06:44 AM
draws? what draws i want to keep the back as open as possible cos i carry tools and anything/everything in the back :) during the week

BigRAWesty
23rd May 2016, 08:28 AM
draws? what draws i want to keep the back as open as possible cos i carry tools and anything/everything in the back :) during the week
Ow right.
Then yea why not an arc box strapped in behind the middle row seats?
Or you could get 3-4 smaller narrow batteries and lay them in the rear seat foot well and a false floor over them for protection.

threedogs
23rd May 2016, 03:06 PM
What's the reason for a battery in the 1/4 panel run out of room under the bonnet.??

Punderhead
23rd May 2016, 06:25 PM
Don't have any pics of it with the fridge and battery sorry, but here goes.

In dads gu (mine now hehehe) he would regularly need 6-7 seats, but once I got my licence and my gq, we would take 2 cars camping. So he only needed 5 seats. Not wanting to go a full set of drawers and lose seats 6/7, he made up a bit of plywood to house the fridge, with a spot for a battery box.

He also wanted a second battery when running the fridge, but being a 4.8, with abs, and then LPG fitted, a second battery under bonnet was less likely than than a Meetup where everyone stays sober.

So we did this.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/295.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/05/296.jpg

It's hooked up to a dual battery kit under bonnet, but as you can see has the Anderson plug on the side. The second battery was plugged in when needed. The cigarette lighters work when the engine is running (I.e when battery 2 would be charging if it was plugged in) or alternatively they work directly off the second battery when plugged in. Can't be seen, but there is also a tee off to another Anderson plug mounted at the rear of the car, to connect to the camper trailer battery (battery 3).

As far as a removable 3rd battery went, it was great!

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blocko05
24th May 2016, 05:55 PM
Hi Punderhead,
I have made up 12v Accessory boxes in the past. I like the idea of using Anderson plugs.

threedogs
24th May 2016, 05:58 PM
Punderhead I have cover plates for the empty seat mounts.
Good idea enclosing that shelf

garett
24th May 2016, 06:06 PM
it keeps the battery away from heat,mud, its closer to the load and one less thing on the front axle. i was planing on making a panel for everything to plug into.