PDA

View Full Version : My GU Canopy Build Up

GUtsy ute
10th April 2011, 06:05 PM
Here is the blank canvas, an 04 ex Telstra ute 147k, bought in March 09.

big_fletch
10th April 2011, 06:15 PM
Very nice blank canvas mate, can't wait to see what you do with it.. Make sure u keep us all updated lol

Sir Roofy
10th April 2011, 06:18 PM
yep its blank all wright
be interesting to see what you do it

AB
10th April 2011, 06:19 PM
Nice mate, You, Rossco and Cuppa will get along just fine...lol.

x 2, keep us updated!!!

GUtsy ute
10th April 2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks Fletch and AB,
I didn't mean to post just that much, hit submit instead of preveiw.
Guess I'll blame the Bundy.

big_fletch
10th April 2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks Fletch and AB,
I didn't mean to post just that much, hit submit instead of preveiw.
Guess I'll blame the Bundy.

Haha u blaming the alcohol? Your gonna fit into this forum quite well my friend lol..
What are the plans for the troll so far, any hints?

Cuppa
10th April 2011, 07:28 PM
Looking forward to comparing notes with you.
When I was starting to fit out our bus plenty of folks advised me that no-one gets it right first time around. However having completed that fit out (over a 3 year period) & then travelled & lived in the bus for18 months, (& accepting that any fit out has to involve compromises) there is in fact little I would change if doing it again. Much of this is down to lots of questions asked & discussions had on a motorhome forum, where others had already been there/done that, or were also in the process of doing so. The other part of the process was what I termed 'Bus dreaming'. With the aid of rough cardboard & tape mock ups & a few 'relaxers' I spent many hours just 'being in the space' to 'feel' what worked & what didn't. I listened to many late night quizzes on the radio whilst sitting surrounded by cardboard! :smile: Of course whilst what we ended up with suits us, it would not suit everyone. That is why following the fit out of these 3 (any more hiding out there?)campers will be interesting. They will all be different, but I bet we all pinch ideas from each other too.

What do you envisage your usage pattern of the finished camper will be? Weekender or longer term trips or a mixture of both?

Cuppa

timbar
10th April 2011, 07:31 PM
Looks good just needs a lick of paint to make it look the part it looks a bit out of place because of the colour differance but looks good

Cuppa
10th April 2011, 07:54 PM
Looks good just needs a lick of paint to make it look the part it looks a bit out of place because of the colour differance but looks good

Now should I ask you what you mean or just for some of whatever it is you're smoking? :wink:

Cuppa

GUtsy ute
10th April 2011, 08:05 PM
Stripping the outside, inside stripped, making a start, mk1 version ready for the Kimberely trip.
I wil post up a much more detailed version of the rebuild in 0-10, which resulted from our experiences with this
first quick build that we used for 12 months.
Woops, pics are a bit mixed up, have to work on that.

Clunk
10th April 2011, 08:11 PM
gotta love these build up threads, can't wait to see how things progress

Dark 1
10th April 2011, 08:28 PM
Looking foward to the build up mate, keep the pics coming & go hard.

timbar
10th April 2011, 08:30 PM
Now should I ask you what you mean or just for some of whatever it is you're smoking? :wink:

Cuppa

just what i ve been drinking will doo..........PMSL

GUtsy ute
10th April 2011, 08:44 PM
Looking forward to comparing notes with you.
When I was starting to fit out our bus plenty of folks advised me that no-one gets it right first time around. However having completed that fit out (over a 3 year period) & then travelled & lived in the bus for18 months, (& accepting that any fit out has to involve compromises) there is in fact little I would change if doing it again. Much of this is down to lots of questions asked & discussions had on a motorhome forum, where others had already been there/done that, or were also in the process of doing so. The other part of the process was what I termed 'Bus dreaming'. With the aid of rough cardboard & tape mock ups & a few 'relaxers' I spent many hours just 'being in the space' to 'feel' what worked & what didn't. I listened to many late night quizzes on the radio whilst sitting surrounded by cardboard! :smile: Of course whilst what we ended up with suits us, it would not suit everyone. That is why following the fit out of these 3 (any more hiding out there?)campers will be interesting. They will all be different, but I bet we all pinch ideas from each other too.

What do you envisage your usage pattern of the finished camper will be? Weekender or longer term trips or a mixture of both?

Cuppa

Hi Cuppa,
It was always intended to be a longer term camper with weekends thrown in, and thats how we use it.
We did the Kimberley and NT with lots of local w'ends before changing to the coil cab, but thats a whole story on its own.
As you, said everyone likes something different, we prefer a tent to sleeping in the canopy so that is the way it is built.
Mk2 version is very similar, a lot stronger and easier to use.
Cheers Gavin

GUtsy ute
10th April 2011, 10:09 PM
Ayers Rock, On the road into Mornington Wilderness Camp in the Kimberleys, Getting ready for a welcome
shower at El Questro bush camp and one of the new fit out.

nowoolies
10th April 2011, 10:12 PM
g`day Gavin
i got one of the same has your`s
has your`s still got the solar array fitted ????
if so what brand and rateing is it
i have a 2"lift on mine and thats about all the changes i have done
absolutly love it
we use it for work, and now and again get all of the work cr@p outta the back and load up the goodies
and go bush so easy to use in that application as it has all the electric`s you need
nowoolies
p:s where did you get the shower arm i got the same wheel fixings as your`s and i could do with one of those
cheers

GUtsy ute
10th April 2011, 10:48 PM
g`day Gavin
i got one of the same has your`s
has your`s still got the solar array fitted ????
if so what brand and rateing is it
i have a 2"lift on mine and thats about all the changes i have done
absolutly love it
we use it for work, and now and again get all of the work cr@p outta the back and load up the goodies
and go bush so easy to use in that application as it has all the electric`s you need
nowoolies
p:s where did you get the shower arm i got the same wheel fixings as your`s and i could do with one of those
cheers

Hi nowoolies,
I made the shower arm at home, I'll make you one if you like and post it over, or give you the dimensions so you could get one made. Just a piece of aluminium extrusion bent in a pipe bender with a holder at the end for the shower bag.
The solar panel is a 120 watt one that gives approx 7 amps in full sun. I have a 120 amp hour battery in the canopy that I use for the fridge at night and use the second battery in the day, when the solar panel is recharging the canopy one.
Both batteries will run the fridge for 36 hrs on their own if needed in bad weather.
I can always run the car if things get grim, but touch wood it hasn't yet.
The solar panel is a Sharp brand, not the cheapest, but one of the best.
It puts out about 26 volts and max 7 amps.(I think, don't quote me till I check)
Obviously you enjoy your bush camping as much as we do!
Gavin

nowoolies
10th April 2011, 10:54 PM
Hi nowoolies,
I made the shower arm at home, I'll make you one if you like and post it over, or give you the dimensions so you could get one made. Just a piece of aluminium extrusion bent in a pipe bender with a holder at the end for the shower bag.
The solar panel is a 120 watt one that gives approx 7 amps in full sun. I have a 120 amp hour battery in the canopy that I use for the fridge at night and use the second battery in the day, when the solar panel is recharging the canopy one.
Both batteries will run the fridge for 36 hrs on their own if needed in bad weather.
I can always run the car if things get grim, but touch wood it hasn't yet.
The solar panel is a Sharp brand, not the cheapest, but one of the best.
It puts out about 26 volts and max 7 amps.(I think, don't quote me til I check)
Obviously you enjoy your bush camping as much as we do!
Gavin

love being in the bush mate,
if you dont mind ill get you to make me one, is it two piece ??????
pm me with costs mate and bank details or address and i can send a cheque over before you start
keep the work going on the bus, i amongst other`s here are allways on the look out for bits and bobs we can pinch the ideas for ourselves hahahahahahahahaahah

GUtsy ute
10th April 2011, 11:48 PM
nowoolies,
it is one piece, and it lives in a drawer in the compartment under the canopy, with the shovel and recovery gear.
Will be in touch about the arm.
Gavin

nowoolies
10th April 2011, 11:58 PM
nowoolies,
it is one piece, and it lives in a drawer in the compartment under the canopy, with the shovel and recovery gear.
Will be in touch about the arm.
Gavin

cheers mate
nowoolies

Dhuck
11th April 2011, 08:50 AM
Good job Gav. So when did you put the canopy on the new trol?

GUtsy ute
11th April 2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Dhuck,
The canopy change over was about this time last year.
I'll be putting up some pics of that along with the new fitout that went with the change over.
Cheers Gavin

Bigrig
11th April 2011, 09:56 AM
Love it Gav!! As said above, love the build threads and watching progression!!

Top job and top snaps!!

Sir Roofy
11th April 2011, 01:09 PM
Excellent job will be interesting to see the new fitout

GUtsy ute
11th April 2011, 06:08 PM
Off and in the shed ready to start, fridge slide works ok, Drawers for clothes etc., Tray to go between top of drawers and under tent shelf for stretchers and bedding.
No comments on the messy shed, its how I do my best work.LOL

Sir Roofy
11th April 2011, 06:42 PM
Well what can i say shame you didnt live down here in vic lol
very well thought out and coming together very nice

big_fletch
11th April 2011, 06:45 PM
Looking tops mate, keep the pics coming.. will be watching with interest

timbar
11th April 2011, 06:51 PM
Looking good Mate pics are Excelent Keep them coming

GUtsy ute
11th April 2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouraging remarks, what a difference!
I have nearly as many posts here in one week as i had in 18 months elsewhere.
Thanks to Dhuck for introducing me to this Forum(via my wife)(long story, no scandal!)

Cheers Gavin

Dhuck
11th April 2011, 07:40 PM
oh shucks Gav. I feel so special.

Seriously, I told your other half that we were easier going and just a happy bunch of people (was going to say blokes and shiela's, but thought it may offend a couple of our members. Also I am trying to calm down my swearing, sarcasm, indecency and any thing else that may incriminate). Happy you are finding it an easy going forum.

Hey AB do I get brownie points for the introduction? lol.

GUtsy ute
12th April 2011, 07:48 PM
Hi Plasnart,
I must have mucked up last night posting my reply to you.
Anyway,
thank you for your positive comments,much appreciated.
I posted a couple of pics in MQ MAD's Man Cave thread ,with one showing some older Ford parts.

I read your report about your trip to Jellabinna Rocks,what a top read!
You certainly have the knack of writing a story to hold the reader interested to the end.
Like many others I am more than slightly envious!
Cheers

GUtsy ute
12th April 2011, 10:51 PM
These pics are pretty well self explanatory,more than happy to answer any questions.

GUtsy ute
15th April 2011, 09:35 PM
Here is a pic of a different way to use your awning.
Didn't know it was there til we stopped.
Wedged itself between the awning and the canopy, no damage done, just a tad embarrassing driving with half a tree hanging off your car.

Dark 1
17th April 2011, 08:03 PM
Ayers Rock, On the road into Mornington Wilderness Camp in the Kimberleys, Getting ready for a welcome
shower at El Questro bush camp and one of the new fit out.

Wasn't the rock an awesome place ?
We're hoping to do the kimberly's at the end of next year, fingers crossed towing our new van.
Great shots mate keep em coming.

nowoolies
17th April 2011, 08:56 PM
keep em comming mate

GUtsy ute
18th April 2011, 07:34 PM
Wasn't the rock an awesome place ?
We're hoping to do the kimberly's at the end of next year, fingers crossed towing our new van.
Great shots mate keep em coming.

Hi Kelvin,
The rock blew me away as we drove up to it, it just kept getting bigger, then really blew me away with how it was not just a big rounded smooth rock as I had imagined.
The caves, the narrow ribbon of rock joined top and bottom, the honeycomb patches and the water courses were all things i had never seen in any pics.
We took in excess of 700 photos all up, driving around it one day and walking around it the next.

You will not be dissapointed with the Kimberleys, we loved it and are going back again.
Would you post up some pics of your new van please,would love to see it

Dark 1
18th April 2011, 08:57 PM
Hi gavin,
Yes Ayers Rock is an awesome experience. As for our van try searching this link on the general discussions area, page 4 i think. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3033-Caravan-Camping-Show-Melbourne

Cuppa
18th April 2011, 11:38 PM
Yep, hard to explain the 'aewsome-ness' of the rock. No picture captures it the same as your eyes. It's an 'eye magnet', impossible not to look at it whenever it's in view.
Wish I had the means of folding metal to make some drawers like yours Gavin. I suspect I'll end up with a frame of either steel or timber, containing plastic boxes.

What do you find are the advantages of having your stove on a slide-out compared to having it 'fixed' on the canopy floor?

Cuppa

GUtsy ute
19th April 2011, 09:49 PM
Yep, hard to explain the 'aewsome-ness' of the rock. No picture captures it the same as your eyes. It's an 'eye magnet', impossible not to look at it whenever it's in view.
Wish I had the means of folding metal to make some drawers like yours Gavin. I suspect I'll end up with a frame of either steel or timber, containing plastic boxes.

What do you find are the advantages of having your stove on a slide-out compared to having it 'fixed' on the canopy floor?

Cuppa

Hi Cuppa,
The main advantage of the slide out stove is being able to use the space above as permanent storage.
My next project is to put another sliding drawer in the space above the stove.
The plastic crates were fine, but I am unable to stop tinkering and modifying.
I was lucky enough to score almost enough aluminium offcuts to build the set up.

I bought two sheets of 2mm aluminium to make the drawers and the tray above the drawers on the other side.
Being a bit paranoid about weight pushed my decision towards using aluminium where ever I could.

I like that reversing camera set up you have, makes mine look hopeless!
Can I ask you where you got it and what brand it is?
Look foward to seeing some more pics of your progress in your build up.
Gavin

Cuppa
19th April 2011, 11:32 PM
I like that reversing camera set up you have, makes mine look hopeless!
Can I ask you where you got it and what brand it is?

Hiya

Monitor (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200536717719&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:AU:1123)
Camera (http://www.chinavasion.com/rear-view-cameras/cvshi107/)

Cost was $187.50 all up. Supplied cable (7 metres) has plugs at both ends, making fitting much simpler. Plugs are only about twice the diameter of the cable allowing for small holes.

I have rear vision on whenever ignition is on. Can switch to reverse view (wide angle) on the monitor BUT have to reverse the image on the monitor.

If buying again I'm not sure I'd bother with the wide angle camera.

Cuppa

GUtsy ute
31st July 2011, 05:46 PM
Was wondering where to keep them handy!!

DX grunt
31st July 2011, 06:42 PM

I'm keeping a keen eye on your thread. lol

Take care out there.

Rossco

Bigrig
31st July 2011, 07:51 PM

Perfect setup in my eyes!!! lol

When do you leave? I'll get those pins to you and fit them if necessary to assist before you go.

GUtsy ute
31st July 2011, 08:01 PM
Perfect setup in my eyes!!! lol

When do you leave? I'll get those pins to you and fit them if necessary to assist before you go.

I don't need them for the trip Scotty, I was going to lengthen them for my 2" lift, originals are working fine.

Bigrig
31st July 2011, 08:07 PM
I don't need them for the trip Scotty, I was going to lengthen them for my 2" lift, originals are working fine.

No worries - they'll be safe until your return then!!

Timmo
1st August 2011, 10:05 PM
nice rig man.

GUtsy ute
8th January 2012, 11:22 PM
I got some LED Work Lights for the back of the canopy, very happy with them.
Pics don't really show how far they light up, but give you an idea.
Use minimum power too, so you don't have to worry about leaving them on for a while.
I've got them wired to the second battery under the bonnet, or I can run them from the third battery
in the canopy, same as the fridge.

mudduck
9th January 2012, 05:20 PM
Looks great mate, wanted to do something like this but wife says our wagon is fine and i'm not to part with it lol

GUtsy ute
24th April 2012, 09:02 PM
The fridge cord is tied to some recoil air hose that works a treat
and lets you forget about the cord getting cut or tangled.
The rear drawers hold recovery gear, spares, tools, shovel, tent poles etc etc.
It's nice having heaps of room but can be tempting to take too much gear

Hope to do a trip to the corner country of NW. NSW soon, still deciding on a date.

DX grunt
24th April 2012, 10:43 PM
NBice work lights, Gav.

Do you get any blind spots with 2 lights? Would a 3rd light be beneficial or would 2 be sufficient?

Do you have a reversing camera?

GUtsy ute
24th April 2012, 11:05 PM
G'day Rossco,
I have'nt noticed any blind spots at all, the tyres don't seem to block any light either.
Two are ample for me.
Maybe a small one down at towbar level for hooking up snatch straps orjacking.
I have a reversing camera hooked up to the GPS.
The GPS came with a wireless camera but it was hopeless, I bought a good camera
that is a cable type and is brilliant.
I'll put up some pics of it if you would like to see it.

How's that great setup of yours working out?
Are you happy with the solar setup you have?

Cheers Gavin

gregs
25th April 2012, 12:03 PM
GUtsy ute, firstly.....great setup. But a couple of questions if you please....did you do the ally welding on your setup and if so what with.

The glass and coffee cup holder looks like a piece of styrofoam with holes in it and carpet glued to it, did you have any drama gluing the carpet directly to the styrofoam and did you use a hole saw to cut the holes? Love the idea by the way, I would like to do something like this for our camper tailer.

Cheers

Greg

frenzy
25th April 2012, 01:56 PM
Mate,
Very nice work.
Would love to see those drawers closeup. My next project....
Cheers,
Steve

DX grunt
25th April 2012, 02:38 PM
More than happy with the set up. Just come back from 2 weeks at the beach and no probs at all.

I gotta sort out where to put the panels. They work very well, but are heavy to move around all the time.

Gotta get a reversing camera/gps set up soon. I'm having a few near misses because of the blind spots, but I'll get there.

Rossco

Cuppa
25th April 2012, 05:47 PM
Looks great & well thought out Gavin. Wish I had your construction skills with the aluminium. I see you made long timber draws for underneath the canopy, they look like somethin I might try myself .... but do you have any issues keeping stuff in there dry & dustproof? Others have told me stories of moisture & dust getting in to form excellent griding paste, & there's still red dust inside mine from Telstra's use around Alice.

Cuppa

GUtsy ute
26th April 2012, 09:56 PM
GUtsy ute, firstly.....great setup. But a couple of questions if you please....did you do the ally welding on your setup and if so what with.

The glass and coffee cup holder looks like a piece of styrofoam with holes in it and carpet glued to it, did you have any drama gluing the carpet directly to the styrofoam and did you use a hole saw to cut the holes? Love the idea by the way, I would like to do something like this for our camper tailer.

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg,

Yes I did the welding on the setup, some of it with the mig and some with the HF tig.
I hadn't done any ally welding for quite a few years before this project, so was quite rusty
but got the hang of it in the end.

The cup and glass holder is made from a shredded plastic type foam which is as light as
styrofoam but not brittle and easily damaged as styrofoam.
You can't damage it by handling it.
It is used for packing and cushioning fragile goods during transport.
Yes, I used holesaws to cut out the holes and found they cut the foam more cleanly
by going in reverse.
I used contact cement to glue the carpet on, holds really well.

The foam came in machinery packing crates from Germany, so I don't know where to source
it here.

GUtsy ute
26th April 2012, 10:00 PM
Mate,
Very nice work.
Would love to see those drawers closeup. My next project....
Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,
Just shoot me a PM when you would like to have a look, any time is OK with me.

Cheers G avin

GUtsy ute
26th April 2012, 10:17 PM
Looks great & well thought out Gavin. Wish I had your construction skills with the aluminium. I see you made long timber draws for underneath the canopy, they look like somethin I might try myself .... but do you have any issues keeping stuff in there dry & dustproof? Others have told me stories of moisture & dust getting in to form excellent griding paste, & there's still red dust inside mine from Telstra's use around Alice.

Cuppa

Hi Cuppa,
When I had the canopy off during the changeover, I put a light in the compartments
and got underneath with a sikaflex gun and sealed every place I could see light coming through.
Gave it all a good clean before sealing.
I also put self adhesive rubber tape around the door to seal it as well.
The hinge lets in a tiny amount of dust but nothing to worry about.
I glued carpet under the drawers to make them smoother to pull in and out.
We've done quite a few trips with negligable dust getting in the drawers.

Cheers Gavin

Cuppa
26th April 2012, 11:57 PM
I might have to try that without taking the canopy off. Bugger of a job I reckon, but I don't really want to be taking it off now. I was told of some Telstra shovel handles being ground down to a point!

Cuppa

gregs
27th April 2012, 04:57 PM
Hi Greg,

Yes I did the welding on the setup, some of it with the mig and some with the HF tig.
I hadn't done any ally welding for quite a few years before this project, so was quite rusty
but got the hang of it in the end.

The cup and glass holder is made from a shredded plastic type foam which is as light as
styrofoam but not brittle and easily damaged as styrofoam.
You can't damage it by handling it.
It is used for packing and cushioning fragile goods during transport.
Yes, I used holesaws to cut out the holes and found they cut the foam more cleanly
by going in reverse.
I used contact cement to glue the carpet on, holds really well.

The foam came in machinery packing crates from Germany, so I don't know where to source
it here.

GUtsy ute, thanks for the reply. I am thinking of making a new set or drawers for the patrol and thought ally might be the way to go, just have to look into see whether I can get a kit to make my little mig do the job. The cost of the ally might be the limiting factor, looks like some more research is needed. I will have to do more searching for this foam though, sounds like good stuff.

Cheers

Greg

GUtsy ute
20th May 2012, 08:47 PM
My wife commented on our last trip that the rubbish bin needed somewhere of it's own,
out of the way, where it wasn't taking up bench space. It was getting constantly moved, making it a
real pain.

This is what evolved from that comment.
It clips on and off the fold down shelf and stores in the white tub to the left of the fridge.

So far, no problems.

GUtsy ute
26th July 2012, 09:29 PM
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af61/GUtsyute/ForumTrip039.jpg
The rig enjoying some time on the beach.
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af61/GUtsyute/ForumTrip030.jpg
In good company.

DX grunt
26th July 2012, 09:53 PM
Awwwww. It's an ex Telstra Ute. hahahaha

twindiff
27th July 2012, 10:05 AM
Hi Gavin,

The truck's awesome mate, love the photos. Interesting to see everyone's ideas on fitting out their canopies. I will probably go with a similar setup as Drifter make - like the landrover on their webpage,
http://www.drifta.com.au/UteBackSetup.php

Cheers

Errol

threedogs
27th July 2012, 10:19 AM
Great looking set up, I luv utes. The MOF said no so ended up with Neville the Nissan Patrol. I do have plans to turn it into a Dual cab, but I think she'll notice

GUtsy ute
27th July 2012, 06:21 PM
Hi Gavin,

The truck's awesome mate, love the photos. Interesting to see everyone's ideas on fitting out their canopies. I will probably go with a similar setup as Drifter make - like the landrover on their webpage,
[url]http://www.drifta.com.au/UteBackSetup.php[/url

Cheers

Errol

That is a great looking set up.
I probably would have gone that way if I had known about them before I made mine.

2TROLLFAM
27th April 2014, 10:58 PM
;) Thanks for the PM - just been having a quick look before heading to bed. You did a great job there.