PDA

View Full Version : Sydney to Cameron Corner

qwertytank
11th January 2016, 06:17 PM
So as the title called it out we are looking to do a trip from Sydney to Cameron Corner from the 23rd - 31st Jan and wanted to know if anyone has any wisdom that they would like to impart...

The route:
Day One: Sydney to Bourke (9 hours 837 KM)
Day Two: Bourke to Wanaaring (5 hours 190 KM)
Day Three: Wanaaring to Tibooburra (6 hours 226 KM)
Day Four: Tibooburra to Cameron Corner (4 hours 140 KM) via Sturt National Park
Day Five: Cameron Corner to Milparinka (5 hours 178 KM)
Day Six: Milparinka to White Cliffs (4 hours 210 KM)
Day Seven: White Cliffs to Nyngan (5 hours 485 KM)
Day Eight: Nyngan to Sydney (7 hours 557 KM) Via Dubbo and Mudgee
Day Nine: If needed

45Hours of Driving – 2823KM in Eight days

https://goo.gl/maps/wr1AGEUKds22

The above is what I was thinking as as the route but would love the feedback and if anyone has anything they would change I would appreciate the feedback.

Also if anyone know good places to camp along the way, we are setup with RTT so would like to take full advantage.

threedogs
11th January 2016, 06:37 PM
Be sure you check out both pubs in Tibooburra,
Camping at Dead Horse Gully at the end of town
Dont get trapped drinking at CC they do have booze buses out that way
Enjoy oodles of wildlife to be seen
Take a metal detector for Tibooburra as well

Stropp
11th January 2016, 11:58 PM
The pub at Cameron's corner do a great meal, they also have rooms in a Donga village as well and nice hot showers, there is also a caravan park or you can "bush camp" near the front gate to the pub.

threedogs
12th January 2016, 09:30 AM
The pub at Cameron's corner do a great meal, they also have rooms in a Donga village as well and nice hot showers, there is also a caravan park or you can "bush camp" near the front gate to the pub.

Boy has CC changed since I was there it only had a shed serving drinks ,

Winnie
12th January 2016, 09:32 AM

Just watch out for the resident dog there who like to piss on tents hey!

TimE
12th January 2016, 09:35 AM
Check the weather forecasts out that way, temps in the 40s are not uncommon, can you and your vehicle handle that?

That said, it is a great drive through the area you've chosen, if you go I hope it is unseasonably cool for you :)

BillsGU
12th January 2016, 10:10 AM
As Tim says - this is not the best time of year to be out that way. We have relatives out that way and have been there a number of times - but never this time of the year. The people that live out there stay in the aircon this time of the year and most of the work is done early morning or of an evening.

Take plenty of water with you.

threedogs
12th January 2016, 12:22 PM
Would parts of this area be closed over summer, similar to the Simpson
As stated terrible time to go, especially if something goes peared shaped

BillsGU
12th January 2016, 12:50 PM
Would parts of this area be closed over summer, similar to the Simpson
As stated terrible time to go, especially if something goes peared shaped

Not where qwertytank (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?32178-qwertytank) is going. They are roads the locals use year round. I'm not sure if the Corner Store will be open though. It may be a good idea to ring and check - especially if you are relying on getting fuel there.

If it was me - I would be going up into the Victorian High Country (which I am doing for a week or so over the Australia Day Weekend). At least it is cooler up there this time of the year than it is out west.

qwertytank
12th January 2016, 01:08 PM
:1087: Ok just told the better half about the temps and now having a rethink as it may be too hot also don't want to get all the way out their and have em close parts cos its too hot... Bang Head

Maybe point the Trol South and head for Mexico!! :210: So with that said if you had eight days from Syd-vegas round trip what would you do??
Mount Gambier... Southen most Point... Ned Kelly Trail... Alpine NP...

Help!! Please give me some ideas at this point i'm keen to build up a log of places to go so all ideas/POI's/what you have done that worked :)

gaddy
12th January 2016, 01:38 PM
Good call save the outback for winter , and a longer time frame , took me 3 weeks in sept to do brisbane to birdsville, birdsville to leigh creek up the strezz to Innaminka, then on to Cordillo downs ( by outback standards we were close so why not ) , back to Innaminka Burks grave , dig tree etc , just shy of 5000km , long way to go just to see the corner with out at least getting to Innaminka and the dig tree

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

qwertytank
12th January 2016, 02:45 PM
OK this is what i'm thinking now... Still think it will be warm but not super hot.
Old plan is shelved to winter... CHECK!!

New Plan!:

Sydeny to Bourke 761.4KM
Bourke to Wentworth 727.42 km - Darling River Run
Wentworth Pooncarie Rd & Top Hut Rd to Main Camp (Mungo NP) 123.18 km - Mungo NP via Top Hut Road
Main Camp (Mungo NP) to Mildura 111.89 km - Mungo to Mildura
Mildura to Yarrawonga 552.02 km - Murray Valley Hwy
Yarrawonga to Sydney 645.9 KM

Total: 2921.81 KM

Round 2! Ideas do's and don'ts??? Leave Mexico for another day...

qwertytank
12th January 2016, 02:50 PM
Forgot to add camps:

Camp 1: Bourke
Camp 2: Tolarno - Station Stay
Camp 3: Main Camp (Mungo NP)
Camp 4: Mildura
Camp 5: Kerang East
Camp 6: Cobram East

Somthing like that I have an extra three days to add/play with so we will not be in a rush if we like a place.

TimE
12th January 2016, 03:42 PM
....um. Bourke will be 45c today ......

qwertytank
12th January 2016, 05:32 PM
Yeah I did see that but it should be ~35 when we are their and the rest of the trip will be cooler as we go so it should be better than the desert heat of CC.

BillsGU
12th January 2016, 09:53 PM
Good free camps to stay all along the Murray. Have a look at wiki camps or the camps 8 book.

BigRAWesty
13th January 2016, 07:25 PM
Wow. Both trips your doing huge amounts of k's each day and I don't think you'll enjoy the trip..
I'd either double the time or half the distance..

qwertytank
14th January 2016, 04:16 PM
Wow. Both trips your doing huge amounts of k's each day and I don't think you'll enjoy the trip..
I'd either double the time or half the distance..

We have nine days so that extends the time a bit and the Sydeny to Bourke and the Yarrawonga to Sydney will be direct shots highway driving so yeah they are not much fun...but the rest of the trip should be gold!!