PDA

View Full Version : Switching seats DX/ST

Cuppa
9th April 2011, 08:29 PM
Although the Patrol (DX) is way more comfortable than the Troopy, it does have far less space available within the cabin, making adding extra gauges/gps/cb etc more of a challenge. Easy access storage is limited to the glovebox & door pockets, plus stuffing things behind the seats.
For long distance touring it would be nice to have more easy access storage & somewhere to keep drinks etc in the cabin.

I believe the ST utes have two single seats rather than the 1 + 1.5 that I have.

Questions:
Has anyone put an ST passenger seat into a DX?
Is it a straight swap - bolt out bolt in?
What year seats would fit my '06 GU?
What sort of price should I expect to pay at a wreckers for a seat?

If it's not too much drama or dollars to switch seats, it'd give me room to build a largish storage cupboard/centre console/drinks holder/arm rest.

I did have a look at some of the aftermarket consoles etc but I just couldn't bring myself to pay the outrageous prices they charge for them.

regards
Cuppa

GUtsy ute
9th April 2011, 09:38 PM
Although the Patrol (DX) is way more comfortable than the Troopy, it does have far less space available within the cabin, making adding extra gauges/gps/cb etc more of a challenge. Easy access storage is limited to the glovebox & door pockets, plus stuffing things behind the seats.
For long distance touring it would be nice to have more easy access storage & somewhere to keep drinks etc in the cabin.

I believe the ST utes have two single seats rather than the 1 + 1.5 that I have.

Questions:
Has anyone put an ST passenger seat into a DX?
Is it a straight swap - bolt out bolt in?
What year seats would fit my '06 GU?
What sort of price should I expect to pay at a wreckers for a seat?

If it's not too much drama or dollars to switch seats, it'd give me room to build a largish storage cupboard/centre console/drinks holder/arm rest.

I did have a look at some of the aftermarket consoles etc but I just couldn't bring myself to pay the outrageous prices they charge for them.

regards
Cuppa

Hi Cuppa,
The ST seats bolt straight in.
As for cost, best to ring the wreckers or keep an eye on E-Bay.
They aren't that dear, a lot of people go for aftermarket seats, so there are usually a few sets around.
Glad to see you got a Telstra ute.
Cheers Gavin

Cuppa
9th April 2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks Gavin.
Any year GU?

GUtsy ute
9th April 2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks Gavin.
Any year GU?

That I couldn't tell you, but I'm pretty sure they would as the floor pan must be the same.
Series 4 may be different though(newer shape).
Will keep an eye out for some, and give you the heads up on any reasonably priced ones.
Saw some when I was looking when I had my telstra ute, but I have since put the canopy on an ST coil cab.
Cheers Gavin

Rogue
21st April 2011, 11:34 AM
i was thinking about going the other way for some silly reason but i can't make up my mind. probably get the bench seat for day to day, and then bolt the bucket in for a bit more comfort when touring.

Bigrig
21st April 2011, 11:41 AM
Not sure on model differences, but for buckets (after chasing around for VY seats etc) I've decided to go for Autotechnica seats - they come in a range of sizes, and so you can get them with peace of mind that they won't hit the b pillar and sit against the seatbelt, and for those with a centre console, you'll still be able to open it (the VY SS seats tend to cramp both - comfy as, but a pain in the @rse for day to day use). Either way, I've got to adjust the mounts so figured I'd just bite the bullet and get new seats (which are cheaper than most VY and Falcon seats I've seen second hand anyway).