PDA

View Full Version : My white troll.

WHITEGQ
9th April 2011, 05:01 PM
Hi to all,
This is my patrol so far,1990 LWB, TB-42 duel fuel, auto, bought it in August 2009, paid $1000 for it. When I bought it it was a bit rough, it had electric windows, rear windows were held up with bits of wood, no motors. Right front was all the way down and didnt work, Left front was down about 4" and didnt work either. The window switches are mounted in center console, only 2 of them and they where hanging out with wires everywhere. Once I got it home it took about 30 min to get front windows working and a lot of WD-40, then we found out there was no motors on the rear windows, just put normal regulators in.

Bloke had stripped almost eveything from inside, all that was left was 2 front seats, really dirty carpet and center console. Was sitting on bald 31x10.5x15 tyres on standard sunraiser rims that were really rusty. The old owner had been using it as a paddock bomb and shooting rig. Had red polair bags in rear, drivers side was stuffed, engine fan had at some stage blown to pieces, small dint in bonnet, luck enough no damage to radiator. Had thermo on the a/c that had been hard wired, without a fuse.

Auto trans was a bit strange, so gave it an oil and filter change, fluid was almost black. once change it seemed ok. changed all other fluids in everything, most of them where a bit milky.

Then the mods begun,

-Put on my 15x8 alloys, running Cooper 33" muds,
-Bought s/h TJM winch bar,
-Put rear seats in, only second row, 5 seater,
-Bought another polyair bag from bloke on ebay, put it in, last about 1 month, so took them out,
-Mounted Kenwood head unit,
-Mounted GME UHF under stereo, with external speaker,
-New front panhard rod bushes,
-New SAAS sports steering wheel, as original wheel was stuffed,
-New 6" 300 watt rear speakers,
-New headlight switch,
-Remade right hand rear sliding window frame, used MQ SWB left side top of frame,
-Fixed small hole in drivers floor, only pen size, so used 1/2" drill and put rubber grommet in hole,

Put in for first RW inspection, only needed 6 things,
-LPG tank stuffed- got another tank put in behind rear seats.
-Had to remove third row seat belts, if no seat must remove belts, so law rule book said, easy fix.
-Replace right front seatbelt, easy fix, pulled apart and used webbing from rear belt.
-Right rear sliding window frame, open window and it fell out, fixed as above.
-Put on some flexi flares to cover tyres.
-Replace tailpipe, old one had fallen off.
Took back 3 days later for second inspection and then rego. Cost all up was about $1000 with rego.

Was living in Western Victoria at the time, drove to South Gippsland for a holiday, Patrol ran well, some trouble with auto, while on holidays went for day trip out bush and on our way back auto sh#t itself, geat just what we needed while on holidays, got on computer when got back to inlaws and found another s/h auto in Berwick, cost $500 and then another $300 to get it put in. Lucky that I used to work in mechanical trade before moving west, so had a mate put auto in for me and give it a service, been great ever since. Finished holiday without any problems and drove home.

Mods done since,

-Twin AU falcon thermo's,
-New radiator,
-2" s/h Dobinson lift springs,
-RTC Tough Dog steering damper,
-Fitted extractors,
-New 33" Mudstar mud tyres,
-Cheap chinese 10,000lb winch,
-Pair Cibie Super Oscar driving lights,
-Small 100w drivig light as reverse light, switch on dash,
-Had second LPG tank fitted, total useable capacity now 180lts.
-New rear brake pads and rotors.
-Fitted 800w 4 channel bose amp.

Mods still to come,

-New front pads and rotors,
-2" body lift,
-4" stainless snorkle, got all bits, hole cut in guard, just got to weld mounting brackets onto pipe and
fit it all up,
-Straight LPG, using TB-42E injection manifold and XF Falcon throttle body, simple gas ring and rebuilt
OMVL converter, already got manifold, converter, throttle body, had a mate weld adaptor
plate onto TB-42E manifold and mount gas ring,
-Buy second OMVL converter, rebuild it, tape up holes, put in tool box as spare for when going bush,
just in case converter stuffs up, along with a spare LPG shut off valve, safety switch and wire,
-Remove old TJM winch bar as it is stuffed from winching, not very strong in front section,
-Got given a GU TJM genuine Nissan winch bar, so going to cut sides off then make into Comp type
winch bar,
-Scored a Warn 10,00lb high mount 24 volt winch, got to do a bit of work on it cleaning it up, put
on some plasma rope and mount it onto new bar,
-Have 4 main windows tinted.

Mods much later on maybe, if able to afford it,

-Do a roof chop, keep as style side ute,
-Paint it the Ford BA-BF XR green, I think it is called "PUSE" Or something like that,
-4.11 OR 4.3 Ratio diffs,
-35" tyres,
-Lockright in front center, maybe, or twin air lockers.

Troll is my daily driver, so might take awhile to do some of the mods as cant have it off the road at all.
Not sure how to post pic's on here yet, so if someone can help would be great. Sorry if post is long and boring, but had to tell it how it is. Any advise or feed back would be great.
With Thanks Jeff.

growler2058
9th April 2011, 05:17 PM
Gday mate theyre a good mob here full of useful info and advice

timbar
9th April 2011, 06:01 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Finly Owner
9th April 2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks,.....but........Where's the pics????????????

Tim

Clunk
10th April 2011, 01:26 AM
great write up mate but as Tim says............... where's the pics mate???? lol

nowoolies
10th April 2011, 01:31 AM
g`day Jeff
welcome on board heaps of laughs and bucket loads of info here enjoy
nowoolies
Paul

katwoman
10th April 2011, 05:54 AM
Holy moly. All info in one post ! Good job . Enjoy your stay Jeff.

AB
10th April 2011, 08:17 AM
Great write up mate, sounds like a beast!

Would love to see some pics if you get around to it!

WHITEGQ
10th April 2011, 08:34 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies, do have a few pic's, but not sure how to post pic's on here, any help with posting pic's would be great.
Jeff.

NissanGQ4.2
10th April 2011, 08:43 PM
Hi Jeff, not that hard 2 post up pics

try this thread, if u get stuck just yell out.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?666-How-To-Ask-a-Question-or-How-To-Upload-Photos.&highlight=uploading+photos

Cheers

Todd

katwoman
10th April 2011, 08:47 PM
If not, nowoolies is our resident posting pic guru.. ( I'm kidding)

big_fletch
10th April 2011, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Fletcha

WHITEGQ
20th April 2011, 09:23 PM
Hi Todd,
I went to the link you put up, it wouldnt let me download pictures straight from my computer, if you could let me know if there is another way to download my pictures would be great. I really want to post my build up pictures.
With Thanks Jeff.

NissanGQ4.2
24th April 2011, 08:19 AM
Due 2 Jeff having some problems uploading Pics, Here are some Pic's of Jeff's Patrol that he has sent me.

4186 4196 4195

4194 4193 4192

4191 4190 4189

4188 4187 4197

WHITEGQ
24th April 2011, 08:59 AM
Hi to all,
Just an update, A really "BIG THANKS" to toddrhind for helping post up my build up pic's. Well started my straight LPG conversion on Friday. I removed all the old carby, intake manifold & gas converter. Then had to make the Nissan throttle position switch fit onto the XF Falcon throttle body, bit of fun, but made it fit. Cleaned all gasket surfaces, gee that is not a fun job. Bolted EFI manifold on, hooked up hoses and wiring. Then bolted throttle body & gas ring on, then just put pod filter on to keep out any objects, that was Friday done and dusted. Not good fun being purched on bullbar and laying over top of engine for about 3 hours.

Saturday, mounted rebuilt OMVL gas converter, had to move coil and ballast resister, mounted converter right on the firewall on left hand side. Then grabbed some bits of old intake pipework I had been collecting over the last couple of months. Set up intake pipeing to hook upto RD-25-30 air cleaner which is mounted behind left headlight. Picked air cleaner up from local wreckers for $80, was pleased with that buy. Really stuffed up while working on patrol for the 2 days, had stereo on, so went to start Patrol, and you guessed it FLAT BATTERY. BUGGA. so put on charger then had to wait till after 4pm when the Mrs got home to give me a jump start.

Well got it started, got all air out of system, did a bit of tuning, I then took for a run, give throttle a big stab, big power difference mid range- top end, but guttless down low. Went back and played around with the TPS and did a bit more tuning, I think I have sorted it out for now, before altering TPS and re-tuning it wouldnt even spin rear wheels in gravel, but now it just digs holes with a little touch of accelerator. Had a big gas backfire at one stage, blew top off air cleaner, no damage just lost 1 of the clips that hold lid on. Once I get bit of stainless pipe made up for intake I will drill a couple of 25mm holes in pipe and slide a stubby holder over it. Well that was Saturday all done and dusted, put battery on charge and closed bonnet.

Sundays plan is to mount up my 4" stainless snorkle, also I am going to change the thermostat, as the one in EFI manifold must be a different heat range, guage has allways run at about an 1/8, was running on bit over 1/4 yesterday, I did check thermostat, seemed ok, but I will put my old one in, as it is only a couple of months old, hopefully all goes well, still have to make up an ally heat shield to mount on extractors, buy new overflow bottle, as one in pic's is out of my old MQ, not quite fitting right, also want to put in second battery tray. Going on picnic with family and a couple of mate upto the Thompson dam on Monday, so will see how it goes on a bit of a run, ie power difference, economy, will get it to a LPG tuner maybe next week to get it tuned properly. Will be interested to see dyno differences, as had it on a dyno a couple of months ago, hugh 85 hp at rear wheels, will update later on.

Bob
24th April 2011, 09:45 AM
Great write up mate. Thanks

WHITEGQ
26th April 2011, 03:39 PM
Hi All Again,
Well went on picnic/4wd day out yesterday upto the Thompson dam. After that we did a few back tracks to Whalhala,(place was an absolute mad house). Came across a few pecker heads in normal cars driving on 4wd tracks, thinking that their AWD Honda and Subaru Wrx was a 4wd. Really clever people. Then we went down to Bruntons Bridge, had a quick cuppa and then across the river and out through theToongabbi road. No hard or serious 4wding, but I did give my Troll a bit of a hard time, just to see how it performed, well no complaints went really well, heaps more power right through the rev range, pulled well up hills, smooth accelleration. The induction sound from the 4" snorkle is an awsome sound. Overall really really pleased with the conversion, still waiting to see if the fuel consuption is better or worse, will know more on that in a week or two. Also will post up more pic's of finished conversion ASAP.

NissanGQ4.2
26th April 2011, 03:42 PM
Great 2 hear the conversion went well Jeff, look forward 2 seeing some more pics

NissanGQ4.2
4th May 2011, 10:01 PM
Some more Pics of Jeff's 4b

NEW GAS CONVERTER & COIL FITTED

PIC OF EFI HOOKED TO AIR CLEANER

PIC OF EFI HOOKED TO AIR CLEANER 2

PIC OF EFI HOOKED TO AIR CLEANER-3

SNORKLE FITTED UP

Sir Roofy
4th May 2011, 10:09 PM
i like it well done mate realy like them snorkles

WHITEGQ
4th May 2011, 10:28 PM
Hi roofy,
Thanks for that, yes I have always liked the look of the 4" stainless snorkles, and the induction noise is wicked, I did the whole conversion for about $400-$500, just getting bits now and then. So far still to see how the fuel consumtion is, but wont get a true reading until I get it tuned correctly at LPG place.

Clunk
4th May 2011, 11:16 PM
nice one Jeff, loving that snorkel mate

Bigrig
5th May 2011, 08:25 AM
Yep - those snorkels are a treat!!! Wishing I got one like that now - top job mate and thanks for the shots!

WHITEGQ
8th May 2011, 08:15 PM
Hi All,
Just a couple of poser shots in my back yard, got a little bit of flex but not much. One hope to have more flex. Thanks to Todd for working out why I could'nt post pic's on my posts.