PDA

View Full Version : Speedo issue?

Cuppa
9th April 2011, 01:48 PM
99% of the time my speedo works fine, & is very accurate according to my gps.

BUT just once in a while, usually when the speedo is reading around 60kph, the needle will momentarily drop to zero & then straight back to where it was. Although at the moment it isn't really a problem, I'm wondering if there is something I should attend to prevent it getting worse? Anyone else had this problem?

regards
Cuppa

DX grunt
9th April 2011, 01:52 PM
G'day Cuppa

Haven't had any speedo issues with mine yet. My GPS is about 2kmh hour. That's OK, seems it has to get a reading from waaaaayyyyy up in the sky.
I'm not suggesting for one minute that you have it tested by the cops' radar. lol

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Take care.

Ross

Havoc
9th April 2011, 05:51 PM
hi cuppa nice rig. when the speedo sender wears the insides of it become sloppy. it is a cog spinning a hall effect generator. when wear occours it can read incorrectly and not at all at different speeds. this can be tested by removing the speedo sender from the rear of the gear box, attaching a dill to the end, get some one to watch the dash, operate the drill and gently wriggle it. It could be the speedo head but unlikely. cheers. steve_auto sparky..

Cuppa
9th April 2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks Steve. Given that it is likely to be a wear issue, which presumably will gradually deteriorate, then it seems reasonable to leave it alone until it becomes a real problem. Any problems with that thinking?

Ross, back in the late 70's, when I lived in England, I had a little brass plaque stuck on to a side panel of a TriBsa motorcycle I built ('58 T110 Triumph motor in a BSA Golden Flash frame). It read "This motorcycle is capable of 100mph as certified by the Essex County Constabulary". And that was in the day before radar guns. The cop, on a BMW motorcycle chased & caught me.... despite the fact that when he first saw me he was travelling in the opposite direction & had to do a u turn to chase me. Caught me within about 3 miles! It was all I could do to refrain from congratulating him on his riding prowess. :smile:

Havoc
9th April 2011, 07:56 PM
no worries at all with that. as you stated it will get worse, but the only damage caused will be the odometer will stop when the speedo stops.
awesome for resale value. lol, and not knowing the speed.
You can always spend your money on more important things like big tyres and beer instead.

Finly Owner
9th April 2011, 09:00 PM
Well, here I go putting noses out of joint! My Instrument repair man told me that it is common for nissan speedos to have gears fall apart/ wear around 250 000 k's on. As they are all usually made in same manufactruer as other cheap asian cars. Yes good starting point is the cable and drive gear that goes in gearbox. A good instrument repairer can make as good as new and replace bent pointers while they are at it.

Tim

Havoc
9th April 2011, 09:42 PM
good point you make. but..... there is no cable, its not mechanical but electrical. even the expensive ones fail. when you open them up there is no ware tolerance. the speedo head in he dash is gears and a tiny litte motor. and yes they do play up. but more often then not the speedo sender fails. plus it is really easy to test for, rather then wasting money on really expensive parts that may not be faulty. im an auto sparky......

Finly Owner
9th April 2011, 09:50 PM
good point you make. but..... there is no cable, its not mechanical but electrical. even the expensive ones fail. when you open them up there is no ware tolerance. the speedo head in he dash is gears and a tiny litte motor. and yes they do play up. but more often then not the speedo sender fails. plus it is really easy to test for, rather then wasting money on really expensive parts that may not be faulty. im an auto sparky......
Ahhh, see that'll teach me for only knowing old MQ-MK's. Where do do you work? I assume local to Logan?

Tim

Havoc
9th April 2011, 11:01 PM
nothing wrong with the tuff mq mk's too they all have the correct badge on them. im actually a heavy vehicle and machinery auto short. mobile around archerfield. dont do many cars. they annoy me too much.