PDA

View Full Version : ecutalk for ipad

Stropp
18th December 2015, 02:32 PM
does anyone have info on if i can get a cable for ecutalk to my ipad?? or if a blue tooth consult port will work with ios??

jff45
18th December 2015, 02:39 PM
To the best of my knowledge, Peter never wrote the Ecutalk software for IOS. I believe he's a C# programmer.
There would need to a Windows emulator for iPad and I don't see that happening

threedogs
18th December 2015, 03:31 PM
Are you just using it as a screen??

Stropp
18th December 2015, 04:15 PM
Are you just using it as a screen??

yes just so i can check temps etc

Stropp
18th December 2015, 04:16 PM
i do have an old pos andriod pad i can use i guess if i can get a cable for that

threedogs
18th December 2015, 04:30 PM
Its USB to mini usb isnt it didnt you get a screen?

Stropp
18th December 2015, 04:39 PM
no i am or was trying to get one to work on the ipad so i dont have to buy the lot, apparently there is a blue tooth adaptor you can use but again only on android or a laptop, i want to be able to change the screen to show the gauges while on the fly.

threedogs
18th December 2015, 04:44 PM
Hodge just brought one, see how he intends to use his Ecu-talk

nissannewby
18th December 2015, 05:00 PM
What sort of head unit do you have Stropp?

gubigfish
18th December 2015, 05:16 PM
Its USB to mini usb isnt it didnt you get a screen?

Where did you get that attachment to attach it to the windscreen?

Stropp
18th December 2015, 05:28 PM
What sort of head unit do you have Stropp?

i have an ipad i want to hook it to but the stereo is a sony if thats what you mean.

threedogs
18th December 2015, 05:33 PM
Where did you get that attachment to attach it to the windscreen?

just scans/scrolled through all the mount available on ebay,
I've since used double sided tape and taped it in front of the insrruments.
Works well there IMO and out of the way

Here you go
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIVERSAL-IN-CAR-WINDSCREEN-DASHBOARD-MOUNT-HOLDER-CRADLE-STAND-PHONES-GPS-MP3-/171979641587?var=&hash=item280ac912f3:m:m2d0fAt7Pif9yin91wF6AUQ

gubigfish
18th December 2015, 05:36 PM
just scans/scrolled through all the mount available on ebay,
I've since used double sided tape and taped it in front of the insrruments.
Works well there IMO and out of the way

Can you PM me a photo of your current setup?

Rumcajs
18th December 2015, 06:03 PM
I've got the ECUTalk to work on Linux laptop albeit only in virtual machine running Windows. ECUTalk is based on C# and Linux Mono package is suppose to take care of that but I haven't been able to get it working as it uses some obscure/obsolete MS only software calls.

Other alternative is Android based device with Nissan Data Scan software and ELM327 BT OBD2 adapter, it basically does everything ECUTalk does.

Regards

Hodge
18th December 2015, 06:17 PM
I bought the cable - USB direct from ECUTalk. Intention is to just run it through one of my small netbooks...
However, I have an Android head unit, meaning I could possibly run Torque app using this.....
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63357&stc=1
http://www.trackelectronics.com.au/

Still early days, Just doing my research on whether this will work or not.

threedogs
18th December 2015, 06:19 PM
Can you PM me a photo of your current setup?

Ive just used double sided pressure sensitive tape and stuck it in front of the speedo/ tacho.

Stropp
18th December 2015, 06:29 PM
I bought the cable - USB direct from ECUTalk. Intention is to just run it through one of my small netbooks...
However, I have an Android head unit, meaning I could possibly run Torque app using this.....
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63357&stc=1
http://www.trackelectronics.com.au/

Still early days, Just doing my research on whether this will work or not.

yes i have had someone show me that but i will need to use an android device, i would rather just use the ipad that i have as a removable setup in the car for maps etc.

Rumcajs
18th December 2015, 07:09 PM
.....................Still early days, Just doing my research on whether this will work or not.

Sorry mate, you can't use that Torque app, that would only work on OBD2 protocol which yours it ain't even though the plug used looks like it. If you still had your ZD30 CrD it would work. Also I just noted you boys run TD42. ECUTalk is useless on that if there is no ECM. It only works on TD42Ti with ECM basically series3 and 4 only (2003-2006) which seems like the ones you have but still ECM only performs support functions so I'm not sure what you are expecting.

Anyway, Android (The Nissan DataScan II for Android is intended for newer Nissan cars equipped with 16 pin OBDII connecter and use Consult II protocol over K line DDL2 with Bluetooth adaptor that utilises the ELM327 chip for communication) or Windows (ECUTalk) only. Why would you buy that expensive ConsultBT adapter is beyond me when ELM327 BT adapter can be had for ~$10+

Regards

jff45
18th December 2015, 08:13 PM
@Hodge, if you'd like to PM me your email I can send you a copy of the EC.PDF which outlines what functions of the TD42Ti ECU can be read by Nissan Consult.
Ecutalk should read the same functions and possibly OBD Scantech software should also be able to read them using the Ecutalk cable.

Stropp
18th December 2015, 08:15 PM
Sorry mate, you can't use that Torque app, that would only work on OBD2 protocol which yours it ain't even though the plug used looks like it. If you still had your ZD30 CrD it would work. Also I just noted you boys run TD42. ECUTalk is useless on that if there is no ECM. It only works on TD42Ti with ECM basically series3 and 4 only (2003-2006) which seems like the ones you have but still ECM only performs support functions so I'm not sure what you are expecting.

Anyway, Android (The Nissan DataScan II for Android is intended for newer Nissan cars equipped with 16 pin OBDII connecter and use Consult II protocol over K line DDL2 with Bluetooth adaptor that utilises the ELM327 chip for communication) or Windows (ECUTalk) only. Why would you buy that expensive ConsultBT adapter is beyond me when ELM327 BT adapter can be had for ~$10+

Regards

so if i get the elm327 bt adapter i can monitor temps etc as that is all i want to do.

NissanGQ4.2
18th December 2015, 08:16 PM
Moved this thread into the Mechanical, Auto Electrical, On-Board Diagnostics section of the forum

Cheers

Toddie

Stropp
18th December 2015, 08:26 PM
i just googled it and they are almost ready to release the ios version :) so i will wait as its being tested now by KLASLO.COM and they have a video on youtube.

Stropp
18th December 2015, 08:29 PM
thats the page
http://www.klaslo.com/elm327-obdii-obd2-wifi-car-diagnostic-wireless-scanner-tool-ios-iphone/

jff45
18th December 2015, 08:43 PM
That looks like it's for OBD2. The TD42Ti isn't OBD2 compliant

NissanGQ4.2
18th December 2015, 09:03 PM
thats the page
http://www.klaslo.com/elm327-obdii-obd2-wifi-car-diagnostic-wireless-scanner-tool-ios-iphone/

Nissan Patrol TD42Ti GU III/GU IV, 2003-2006 is supported by Nissan Consult which means its not ODII compliant, that scan tool will not work for you Stropp

mudski
18th December 2015, 09:09 PM
so if i get the elm327 bt adapter i can monitor temps etc as that is all i want to do.

Yeah this is all I want to do aswell. See what the water temp actually is. I know the Patrol has the OBDII plug but is OBDI, or something like that. Will this work?

Stropp
18th December 2015, 09:22 PM
Nissan Patrol TD42Ti GU III/GU IV, 2003-2006 is supported by Nissan Consult which means its not ODII compliant, that scan tool will not work for you Stropp

Oh bugger, I just want to be able to check proper temps on my iPad ☹️

Hodge
18th December 2015, 09:37 PM

Regards

Thanks mate. I do have a 4.2TDi . Which ECUTalk reads and is consult compliant.
ELM327 as far as I can see and understand is OBDII which won't work on mine, meaning the ELM327 isn't going to work either ? Therefore if I want BT, i have no choice. For now I think I will stick with USB ECUTalk plugged into my small Netbook.

Basically the most important function I'd like to see is the Coolant temps that the factory sensor reads, so that I can compare to my second aftermarket gauge readings.

mudski
18th December 2015, 09:41 PM
Basically the most important function I'd like to see is the Coolant temps that the factory sensor reads, so that I can compare to my second aftermarket gauge readings.

Its great to see we fork out good coin for gauges and yet we still don't trust them and buy something else to monitor with. Lol.

Stropp
18th December 2015, 09:41 PM
Thanks mate. I do have a 4.2TDi . Which ECUTalk reads and is consult compliant.
ELM327 as far as I can see and understand is OBDII which won't work on mine, meaning the ELM327 isn't going to work either ? Therefore if I want BT, i have no choice. For now I think I will stick with USB ECUTalk plugged into my small Netbook.

That's what I want to do but on my iPad.

Hodge
18th December 2015, 09:44 PM
Its great to see we fork out good coin for gauges and yet we still don't trust them and buy something else to monitor with. Lol.

Basically I want to compare the pair over a period so that I can then safely, say, yeah the redarc is accurate enough or is talking shit to me.
But sounds like it may be a fair bit of work for Stropp to setup.

jff45
18th December 2015, 10:22 PM
You shouldn't really accept that the factory sensor is what will be the most accurate. I had an issue with mine some time back and it was reading consistently too low.
I replaced it and it more closely reflected the thermostat controlled temps.

Hodge
18th December 2015, 10:26 PM
Yeah i figured both won't be accurate to a degree but I guess between the two I can gauge roughly what the Temps are during different driving conditions and then monitor any changes from there on.

Tapatalked from S6

mudski
18th December 2015, 10:33 PM
You shouldn't really accept that the factory sensor is what will be the most accurate. I had an issue with mine some time back and it was reading consistently too low.

Yeah but say if the readings were pretty much the same I would take it as the factory sensor is good... If there were a difference, then I would investigate.

threedogs
19th December 2015, 11:43 AM

You can always meet at Airport West and try my Ecu-Talk.
same goes for you to Eric, Its obd11 but with less wire 14 I think
I needed to know this for my chip as well

threedogs
19th December 2015, 11:45 AM

If you dont trust your speedo and prefer GPS to track your speed ,
maybe the OE temps are off too. My temp gauge shows just under half
when the motor is at 95 degrees

Hodge
19th December 2015, 02:15 PM
Well we have well and truly sabotaged Stropps thread. My apologies. lol

@ threedogs
My 3L CRD, needle moved every so slightly from under half, to half, and sometime just over half. Numerically this was equivallent from 87 - 91C respectively.
However, my 4.2 once up to running temps, gets to just under half and stays there no matter what ambient temps, how hard I push the car, whether air con is on or not ... It makes no difference, which to me anyway is slightly concerning. Now I don't tow, and do not intend on towing anything more than a 6x4 trailer to the tip, for any forseeable future, but still......

I'd like to see whats happening numerically. Which is why I'd like to compare the pair and go from there.

threedogs
19th December 2015, 02:24 PM
OOI Ill see if I can use my phone plugged into my ecu-talk as a display only,,, for you Stropp
There back on track sorta

jff45
19th December 2015, 02:48 PM
If you dont trust your speedo and prefer GPS to track your speed ,
maybe the OE temps are off too. My temp gauge shows just under half
when the motor is at 95 degrees

I've never had an issue with my speedo but I can soon see if there's an issue because I have Ecutalk and GPS read outs to compare with.

Stropp
19th December 2015, 04:55 PM

what about with obd to consult adapter $5 on ebay??????

NissanGQ4.2
19th December 2015, 07:09 PM
what about with obd to consult adapter $5 on ebay??????

Link mate cause I don't really understand?????

From what I understand yours is an ODBII type plug but the data that is being transferred is not ODBII compliant but Nissan Consult compliant, so you need 2 find something that fits an ODBII plug but that is nissan consult compliant.

Hope that makes some sense.

I had a quick look last nigh but came back with nothing for Ipad that I think would be suitable. I'll try and have another look tonight.

jff45
19th December 2015, 07:26 PM
I don't think it's an issue with connectors, adapters, etc.
There is simply no Consult protocol software that runs on iPad..

Stropp
19th December 2015, 09:12 PM
I don't think it's an issue with connectors, adapters, etc.
There is simply no Consult protocol software that runs on iPad..

That klaslo site has a product they are testing, if you go to the link I provided before and view the video there is a message saying they are testing iOS compatible one, I thought if I got the consult to obd cable and plug in the wifi sender that may work?

Stropp
19th December 2015, 09:14 PM

This one with the cable from eBay 16 pin to 14 pin

jff45
19th December 2015, 09:33 PM
The Klaslo product is for the OBD2 protocol. The TD42Ti uses the Nissan Consult protocol.
I think only the 4.8 and the CRD use OBD2.
For some strange reason, Nissan installed the OBD2 plug in some models - my 2001 TB45E uses that plug but it only gives data that can be read by Consult software.

For the same reason, you can't plug an Ecutalk unit into a CRD to read the OBD2 data.

Stropp
19th December 2015, 10:03 PM
Ok so I need the consult $90 bt unit and a android tablet or a crappy old phone just to see the temps etc, no need for a phone card.

threedogs
19th December 2015, 10:12 PM
Even though my Ecu-talk has the 14 pin plug there are
only about 4 wires connected if that, Bob and Roofy checked it out
one fishing trip

jff45
19th December 2015, 10:31 PM
Ok so I need the consult $90 bt unit and a android tablet or a crappy old phone just to see the temps etc, no need for a phone card.

I would first try to determine what data is available from the TD42Ti ECU. If it shows temps, volts, road speed, TPS or whatever, it might be worth getting the Ecutalk LCD display. It's small enough to fit behind the steering wheel without blocking the dash.
I consider it the best money I've spent on mine.

Stropp
20th December 2015, 02:25 AM
I would first try to determine what data is available from the TD42Ti ECU. If it shows temps, volts, road speed, TPS or whatever, it might be worth getting the Ecutalk LCD display. It's small enough to fit behind the steering wheel without blocking the dash.
I consider it the best money I've spent on mine.

Really I just want to check temps etc so it would be a hell of a lot cheaper with an old android device which I have and the Bluetooth dongle for $90!

MyGU8
8th January 2016, 05:37 PM
Hodge,
My 3l CRD stayed always just under half mark. Out of curiosity did you clean the radiator at any stage?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but....

Also what OBD module to use on a 2012 CRD (eBay cheapies)

Well we have well and truly sabotaged Stropps thread. My apologies. lol

@ threedogs
My 3L CRD, needle moved every so slightly from under half, to half, and sometime just over half. Numerically this was equivallent from 87 - 91C respectively.
However, my 4.2 once up to running temps, gets to just under half and stays there no matter what ambient temps, how hard I push the car, whether air con is on or not ... It makes no difference, which to me anyway is slightly concerning. Now I don't tow, and do not intend on towing anything more than a 6x4 trailer to the tip, for any forseeable future, but still......

I'd like to see whats happening numerically. Which is why I'd like to compare the pair and go from there.

threedogs
8th January 2016, 05:44 PM
sits behind the wheel ok you can still see all alerts,

jff45
8th January 2016, 06:11 PM
He has a CRD. They're OBDII so Ecutalk won't work.
I think there's something similar from Scangauge for CRD

threedogs
21st January 2016, 03:42 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xtool-Auto-IOBD2-OBD2-Scanner-Bluetooth-Scan-Tool-Code-Reader-For-Android-IOS-/251743284009?hash=item3a9d11ab29:g:SJ4AAOSw-zxWn8Fb
Yo Stropp found this any go to you

Hodge
21st January 2016, 04:36 PM
That won't work as our cars are Nissan Consult, and ZD30s are OBD2 etc...

MyGU8
21st January 2016, 04:49 PM
This one works with my CRD30 (2012 GU), but only with Android as iPxxx bluetooth has some restrictions.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190868683257?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I bought this one as well for iPxxx, but didn't work, seller agreed to send another one to make sure the item is not defective. If both WiFi version failed to work with iPxxx then I will go with the bluetooth and separate Android phone or pad.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Auto-V1-5-WiFi-ELM327-OBD2-CAN-BUS-Scanner-Tool-for-iPad-iPhone-5-6S-iPod-/190833663673?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT