PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Dual Battery setup

Timbo
8th April 2011, 01:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to be buying a Dual Battery system tonight from Pirahna 4x4 here in Melbourne.

It's going to be the kit only and I plan on fitting it (attempting lol) over the weekend, complete with pictures etc and I'll write up a bit of a guide on how I went (if successful).

Are there any questions I should be asking that may not be obvious to me right now? In other words, have you guys (through experience) found any little hidden secrets you wished you knew about before purchasing a Dual Battery System?

Cheers

DX grunt
8th April 2011, 02:06 PM
You might not get all the answers by tonight from the forum members. I'd suggest you hang off, for just a few days,
to see what people have to say - IMHO of course. lol

IE. Don't impulse buy, do your homework. Not trying to be pushy, trying to help.

Take care with your selection.

Ross
DX grunt

macca
8th April 2011, 02:21 PM
Timbo,
I like gadgets.
The TJM IBS has level monitors of both the cranker and 1st aux connected to it, as I have a 2nd aux connected with a TJM DBS I added a (autron dual ) battery monitor so I could see State Of Charge of both my aux batts while driving and same SOC while in camp, should have put it in at the beginning.
I can see SOC of all 3 batteries, can see what the alternator is doing and also what is happening when the engine is turned off
Macca

DX grunt
8th April 2011, 02:24 PM
Any pics, Macca. You got my attention.

Ross

the evil twin
8th April 2011, 02:41 PM
Biggest hurdle in the DIY is swaging the Connectors on heavy cable. If you haven't got the crimping gear get the length sorted and go annoy a sparkie

Biggest hassle in some trucks can be fitting the tray but in a '99 2.8 that may be easy peasy (I've never done one)

Do you winch (or intend too in the future) if so try to get a 150 or even 200 Amp system if you plan on also using the Aux battery. If the Aux will never see a winch then things change considerably

Will the Aux be in the engine bay? If so and you want to use it for emerg starting then a 100 Amp system is adequate. Suggest you don't stick an AGM Battery in there tho, go for an all rounder or marine.

If you only intend running Aux loads IE frigs etc then a DC/DC converter style system might be better. The wiring gauges are considerably smaller for starters

Timbo
8th April 2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys..

Look.. the guy explained a whole heap of stuff too me.. Something about a solid state system and not a mechanical switch setup... The system is entirely electronic and is designed to protect my cars electrical system. It's a pretty basic setup and is a tourer design and is more than ample for my needs (fridge, stereo, lights). As for winch, I'll be running it off my main battery when I get a winch. I can leave the fridge on for 2 days with this setup before I need to drive and charge the batts.

It charges the main cranking battery first before it even looks at charging the aux batt. It doesn't paralell charge (ie: both batts at once) so in other words, my main battery which starts the car is always full. If the fridge is drawings too much power it will shut that circuit off until there's enough charge. I don't have to do anything to the system, it's all self maintained.

The guy sounded pretty honest and advised me not to get certain things because I wont need them (like a high performance battery which is $400). I know nothing about Battery setups so he could have easily not told me a few things and just happily accepted the cash. He also offered to check out my install job and make sure it's all safe/correct for free which I thoguht was great, and he also said they are more than happy to install part of it, all of it or none of it. I was very happy with the service over the phone.. i hate how some shops just give you the absolute minimum info and you can tell they want to get you off the phone.

When I go there tonight, I'll try and get all the mumbo jumbo written down and relay it here back to you guys. At the end of the day, I'm going to trust the professionals with what they say, especially with something like this.

I've already got a few things out of the replies so thanks alot guys for chipping in.

macca
8th April 2011, 03:43 PM
OK Ross here's some photo's, sorry for the HiJack Timbo

SOC engine off, left LED's Cranker, Right LED's #1 Aux (AGM/Canker combination)
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/IMG_2824.jpg

SOC engine off, left needle #1 Aux, right needle #2 Aux in pod
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/IMG_2826.jpg

Engine running at idle and auto linked, charging at 13VDC
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/IMG_2827.jpg

Engine running at idle and not linked (they linked as I focused the camera, you can see there is a diference in volts)
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/IMG_2828.jpg

Engine running at idle and auto linked
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/IMG_2829.jpg

Timbo
8th April 2011, 03:49 PM
Nice pics mate. How much did your setup set you back if you don't mind me asking? Rough figures?

This setup I'm looking at tonight is about $730 for components only, inc battery.

And I really like your boost/EGT guage. What brand is that one? Never seen a combo one before! Looks the goods.

the evil twin
8th April 2011, 04:01 PM
Hiya Timbo... sounds like you are heading down the DC/DC converter path and I also agree with what the dude has told you pretty much (coupla little things that I don't but meah no biggee as I can be a pedantic pr1ck).

One of my faults is that when people mention "Dual Battery" I am too old school and immediately interpret it as two alternative batteries interconnected by a solenoid or even hard wired such as existed loooong before all the electronics crept in taht can be used either/or.

For a dedicated Vehicle Battery/Aux Battery setup as you describe then the solid state controllers or DC/Dc converters are the way to go and sound like the dude is certainly giving you the good duff.

macca
8th April 2011, 04:07 PM
Mate I do not add these things up, had them for 5 years or more now.

When she asks, and she does I can honetly say I can't remember.

That way I only get to blow a few bubbles instead of being in it deep for longer IYKWIM.

She has nearly given up, heard her once say "I don't want to know" and stomped off.

The boost guage (SPA brand) arrived last week from the States US$405 + $18 post - alot but suited what I wanted and fits in the gadget category LOL

The Pod pillar was from extremelimitsonline about $120+ I think. Needed a can of paint as it arrived black.

Macca

DX grunt
8th April 2011, 04:40 PM
Hey Timbo

Found this website in my 'favourites'. Don't know how accurate it is, but it's probably worth a look.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Rossco

Timbo
8th April 2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks Rossco.. although I already bought it :D I appreciate your help and advice though mate.

Here's some pics of what I bought. (warning BIG pics!)

The first pic is just a snapshot of everything I bought.
Battery Tray
Engel fridge plug
ciggy plug
basic battery management
6 slot fuse cradle
12m 6 guage wiring
Battery
some stickers/keyrings

The second pic is about the battery management I bought. I included it for those of you who understand all that stuff lol

The third pic is the one I'm very happy about! It's my receipt. All up, the cost was supposed to be toward the $800.00 mark. Then the nice lady goes "You don't belong to the Land Rovers club do you"? while she is busily writing down the items on the invoice. I said "ermm I could be! If I get a discount!"

So then she laughed and asked me how well I know the salesman who was dealing with me.. I said "I know him really well today!" haha. We got talking and I said I owned several Land Rovers and dealerships etc. This was near on 5:00pm and everyone was kind of in the office ready to go home.

THEN, (and this is the kicker) she asked in all seriousness.. "so are you a part of any clubs?" and I said.. "well, I'm a member of the best NissanPatrol forum around" and explained about it to which she was accepting. Then she yells out to the boss (i assume) "Do we do Nissan Patrol club discounts?" and he goes.. "if they have a membership!". Defeated, I solemnly said "well I don't have one of those" and to my surprise I they said "well, if they didn't give you a membership number then I guess we can't deny it!" .. all tongue in cheek of course.

If you look on the receipt, you'll see -10 PatrolClub which is 10% off. Plus they took off like $10 on the extra wiring I ordered. This was my homage to NissanPatrol.com.au. I also said I have a few mates wanting Dual Battery set up's etc, so if anyone is keen for one, get down there and try it on!

I walked out of there $700 lighter in the hip pocket, BUT!! I'm part of a NissanPatrol club, own several Land Rovers and some dealerships, Known Dennis (salesman -champion) for years (apparently lol) and with a big project on for the weekend with hardly any instructions even though they said they were in there. I can't find them except for whats written on the back of the box! haha.

macca
8th April 2011, 08:12 PM
Go for it Timbo
Check everyting 3 times then once more before you connect to a battery !!!!!!!
And make sure the other battery wire are hanging in fresh air!!!!
Macca

AB
8th April 2011, 08:17 PM
Funny story mate, ripper discount too member number 13...lol

Might have scoot down there myself!

Let us know how you go Timbo, good luck!!!

AB
8th April 2011, 08:35 PM
At least It's not in Chinglish though mate...Chinese English is by far the hardest intructions to follow.

Chinglish Instructions...

Remove package
Plug forward remote cord hole in
cut and spline 1/2" motion up
Force promote pinch and hold
Finish!!!
WHAT THE!!!...lol

Timbo
8th April 2011, 08:38 PM
ROFL!! Yeah I hear ya.. gotta love those instructions.

Very lucky with the Pirahna gear. They manufacture everything themselves apparently, so that's maybe why they are so helpful etc.. they trust their stuff.

But geez, a $10,000 shopping spree in that shop would be godly.

macca
10th April 2011, 06:42 AM
Timbo heres a eBay address for one of those guages, he takes 10% off if you ask

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SPA-Dual-Gauge-Turbo-Boost-and-EGT-/110666836723?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c441eaf3

And Autron stuff here in Aus

http://www.autron.com.au/newweb/index1280.htm

Macca

katwoman
13th June 2011, 12:50 AM
Did you fit all this Timbo ? And if so, where are the finished pics ??

Yendor
13th June 2011, 11:09 PM
Hi Kat, you have been missing all the great weather we have been having in sunny Queensland of late.

You may not have enough room under the bonnet to fit a second battery, (4.5 on gas).

You may need to put it in the back

katwoman
13th June 2011, 11:41 PM
Hi Kat, you have been missing all the great weather we have been having in sunny Queensland of late.

You may not have enough room under the bonnet to fit a second battery, (4.5 on gas).

Really ? I'll start looking it up, thx Rodney..
and bugga your weather !!

Bob
14th June 2011, 09:53 AM

I have a 4.5 on Gas and cannot fit a second Battery under the Bonnet

katwoman
14th June 2011, 06:02 PM
I have a 4.5 on Gas and cannot fit a second Battery under the Bonnet

Bugga, Thanks Bob..

Sir Roofy
14th June 2011, 06:31 PM
theres no room kat its in the back

katwoman
14th June 2011, 06:33 PM
theres no room kat its in the back

Looks that way.. What a p$#@%.. I dont want to put it in the back !!