PDA

View Full Version : Fridges....

RedRoadRunner
15th December 2015, 07:35 PM
Howdy all.
I want to throw a fridge in the truck, keep my water cool and my packed lunches fresh.

Before I rock up to Rays Outdoors and give them all my money, what's the advice?
I know Waeco and Engel are the major brands (I guess?) but they seem to be a few $$$ more than anyone else- Do they rate it? if you had to pick what would you go for?

I'm after simplicity and reliability over any fancy functions. It doesn't need a built in GPS or play greensleaves or anything.

paulyg
15th December 2015, 07:40 PM
I have 2 Waeco's both been good.
If i was going to buy something a bit cheaper I would still look for one with a Danfos compressor.

mudski
15th December 2015, 07:46 PM
I can only recommend Engel. Only because I have two of them. One is 15 years old and has been running pretty much 24/7 and is still going great. Waeco's are supposed to be good too. ARB aswell...

RedRoadRunner
15th December 2015, 07:49 PM
Hah, I suppose there might be a reason they sell everywhere and for the price they do.

I am sort of hoping someone will come by and persuade me the (slightly) cheaper ones are just as good.

Oh well. I think I like the look of the Engels better.

Does anyone use the covers? do they add much insulation?

threedogs
15th December 2015, 08:13 PM
Ive had a 40ltr Engel running virtually non stop in two different 4x4s since about 1994.
Still going strong and unmarked as well, No little one's so its mounted behind the driver.
All Ive done is fit a small LED light on a tilt switch and an extra fan to cool the compressor.

RedRoadRunner
15th December 2015, 08:23 PM
I've got a 12v outlet near the rear door, so it'll probably go there. Just means I have to stop and run around the truck if I want a snack.
I'm tempted to take out the passenger seat and put it there, but I'm not sure if that is a good plan in the long run (or even legal)

LaughingBeagles
15th December 2015, 08:29 PM
The local Engle Guru I bought mine from said that if you are hanging out in moderate to cool climates, than pretty much any of the name brands will do the trick. It's when you head north into the hot stuff that a quality fridge makes a difference. I would have loved to have gotten a lunar (they use them on deployment in the Middle East) but are just way, way out of my price range. So far, the Engle has been great. Have a think about where you will use it and go from there.

Tap tap tap

threedogs
15th December 2015, 08:36 PM
What do you want the fridge for long trips with cyro vaced food or just some cool ones for a weekend away.
That will determine what size you need , I only use my Engle for food if going fishing and drinks for day trips.

RedRoadRunner
15th December 2015, 08:49 PM
I spend a bit of time in the central sort of region, so I should probably spend the coin on a good one (currently the esky with ice bricks is lucky to last a day).

I want to be able to keep cool for 5 days. I am looking at solar options to facilitate that.

Winnie
15th December 2015, 09:58 PM
I have had an Engel for about 4 years now, my dad has had his Engel for nearly 30 years running non stop in the truck and has been repaired 3 times. Not bad I say!

MudRunnerTD
15th December 2015, 10:01 PM
I have an 80lt Waeco and a 40lt Engel. The engel is great and I now use it the most as t suits my needs and is a better size. I bought the 80 when I first started 4wdriving thinking is bigger is better but they are very big.

If I was spending my money again I would buy an ARB fridge in a blink. I have used one for a few days and it is soooo easy to live with, very well thought out. Great fridge. Yes but a bag. Make a big difference when things start getting warm.

BigRAWesty
15th December 2015, 10:33 PM
I'm a weaco man but know heaps of people with Engal and no one seems to have issues.
It's the cheap ones that you see fail but not so much mechanically.. like clips breaking off of outter cases pulling apart etc..
I use a cover.. they say it adds a little insulation.. and imo a little is better than nothing..

Rossco
15th December 2015, 10:50 PM
I've got an old engie that runs 24 7 & never missed a beat. ARB fridges look good, they used to be rebadged engels but now make their own which are supposed to be tailored to 4wd's (power use toughness ect)

Been more than happy with Engel, love it, but lots of happy Waeco people out there too. Bit of personal choice really, engie for me but. . .

the evil twin
16th December 2015, 12:39 AM
National Luna is the God of portable fridges (bloody south africans) and,
Engel is his prophet (bloody japs).
Any of the Danfoss jobbies are the disciples (bloody krauts).

National Luna win because of the construction and insulation and are the Rolls Royce.
Engel (owned by Sawafuji) come second because of construction and the unique compressor setup which uses a tad more power but is incredibly reliable.Sawafuji flatly refuse to sell their gear to any other company and bought out Engel 30 odd years ago
The Danfoss brigade come third because of lower power consumption of the compressor and either stand or fall due to the cabinet construction, insulation or features

Clunk
16th December 2015, 01:00 AM
And not forgetting Evacool, they appear to have a good reputation too

threedogs
16th December 2015, 07:52 AM
Evercool are rebadged Bailey's, I paid $350 in '92 for one of their
85 ltr ice boxes and it shites on any Ice box/esky out there today.
It holds 96 cans plus ice. I have put a false lid on it with 25mm polystyrene
to further insulate it. Oh plus I put a small LED light in the lid on a tilt reed switch
for night time drinks lol,

Cuppa
16th December 2015, 09:08 AM
I reckon the best fridges have BOTH good compressors (Danfoss) & plenty of insulation, the more the better. Problem is everyone wants more space inside the fridge but with the smallest possible footprint. If you can handle the footprint (& the price) I reckon you can’t go past the Trailblaza fridges. http://www.norcoast.com.au You certainly won’t find any commercially made items which are more efficient. I reckon they are a step above National Luna.

The larger the capacity the more power needed to run it. The thinner the insulation the more power needed to run it. Most commonly available fridges are pretty light on in their insulation. e.g. check out the thickness of many Waeco lids. The most efficient size compromise among most of the affordable market offerings is 40 litres.

All that said I have two ARB fridges , a 60 litre & a 35 litre which I’m happy with, but I have plenty of solar to keep them going. Their insulation is a tad thicker than the likes of Waeco, but even with the canvas ‘transit covers’ fitted, I still see condensation on the outer skin of the fridges at times (loss of cold). They do however have a couple of features which make them easier to live with (drain plugs & easily removeable lids).

Of the commonly available fridges the Evakool ones that are essentially ice boxes with a compressor stuck on the side look to have thicker insulation & a Danfoss compressor, & would have been my choice if I had been able to accommodate the shape, but the extra ‘lump’ on the end just didn’t fit for me. I think ‘DX Grunt’ here has one & is very happy with it.

threedogs
16th December 2015, 09:17 AM
When I put the extra fan on my Engel I cant remember seeing any insulation.
from memory its just a tin outer with the plastic liner, could be wrong but pretty sure
I didnt see any insulation though.
@ Cuppa yes Trail blaza and National Luna are the pick of the bunch I think the ADF use
Trail Blaza fridges.

Patrol'n
16th December 2015, 09:38 AM
I have a 40 litre Engel, it works extremely well, even on a hot day (38-40 degrees), and with my truck parked in full sun it holds temp perfectly.

Where one of my mates fridges temperature will vary slightly, say between 0-5 degrees mine will stay within a degree of where I set it.

It does seem a little power hungry to me, (battery tends to wear down pretty fast), but I haven't tried other brands in my truck to compare apples with apples, so it might be quite normal. I also like the metal case and transit bag that came with it.

I know a few blokes who all have had Engels for a long time with no issues, that was one of the things that lead me to pick an Engel.

All that said, another mate recently got a Waeco CFX 65 litre, it has good features and seems pretty well made, he loves it and has had no issues either. Both keep the beer nice and cold :-)

threedogs
16th December 2015, 09:45 AM
I fitted a digital temp controller and now it works better than ever,
best mod ever

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OZ-Digital-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Sensor-STC-1000-220V-/141591734878?hash=item20f7866a5e:g:Lt8AAOSwBahU9Q3 Z

lucus30
16th December 2015, 10:44 AM
I fitted a digital temp controller and now it works better than ever,
best mod ever

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OZ-Digital-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Sensor-STC-1000-220V-/141591734878?hash=item20f7866a5e:g:Lt8AAOSwBahU9Q3 Z

This is a 220V thermostat. I doubt you'd want to use it in your pootrol

NigeP62
16th December 2015, 10:49 AM
This is a 250V thermostat. I doubt you'd want to use it in your pootrol
True. The one linked to is 240v. I sell this model for Homebrewers.
The same controller is available in 12v as per this link. 12v Temperature Controller (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-All-purpose-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-w-NTC-Sensor-STC-1000-/331205081859?hash=item4d1d5c7b03:g:u6AAAOSw9N1Vww~ A)

threedogs
16th December 2015, 11:06 AM
This is a 250V thermostat. I doubt you'd want to use it in your pootrol

Should of gone to Specsavers eh
yeah I have the 12v one looks the same
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Relay-Temp-w-Sensor-Thermostat-Hot-sale-/161228922459?hash=item2589fe1e5b:g:CGMAAOSwa39UtJe p

lucus30
16th December 2015, 11:26 AM
Should of gone to Specsavers eh
yeah I have the 12v one looks the same
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Relay-Temp-w-Sensor-Thermostat-Hot-sale-/161228922459?hash=item2589fe1e5b:g:CGMAAOSwa39UtJe p

250 v ???????lol

Ah typo for me... ha ha meant 220V

But yes that 2nd one does look better. So have you installed this into yours?
Interesting idea... Got a mate that had a busted engel I should try and fix

threedogs
16th December 2015, 11:31 AM
Keeps what ever temp I set it on, ppl who make wine etc use them because of the consistant control of the temp.
Easy as a few threads on it here, you'll love it once set up.

Whats up with the Engel? , remember there is
a fuse at the back where the lead plugs in

You turn the Engel on flat out plug the engel into the conrol box
and adjust the temp from there, thin wire has thermostat probe

lucus30
16th December 2015, 11:38 AM
Keeps what ever temp I set it on, ppl who make wine etc use them because of the consistant controll of the temp.
Easy as a few threads on it here, you'll love it once set up.

Whats up with the Engel? , remember there is
a fuse at the back where the lead plugs i

Not sure... I'll see if he still has it and grab it off him

threedogs
16th December 2015, 11:43 AM
Check previous post, this is the extra fan I fitted to cool the compressor 15-30CFM

qwertytank
16th December 2015, 12:59 PM
Has anyone got/used/seen/know anything about this Fridge?

Giant Power - Fibreglass with Danfoss compressor
http://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/camping-caravan/portable-fridges/giant-power-60l-fibreglass-portable-fridge-freezer

threedogs
16th December 2015, 01:19 PM
Off the top of my head would say overpriced for a unknown brand,
check any testimonials , compressor is ok how about insulation

I think there are better deals out there, like end of model run outs on Waeco fridges.
wait till there is 25% off at Rays

RedRoadRunner
16th December 2015, 01:27 PM
I have never used one, but I'm looking at doing other business with that mob on some energy stuff for the house. *shrug* Can't offer any useful commentary.

I am looking at a Primus 60L for the car. It's danfoss with a 3 year warranty...

Cuppa
16th December 2015, 03:31 PM
Has anyone got/used/seen/know anything about this Fridge?

Giant Power - Fibreglass with Danfoss compressor
http://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/camping-caravan/portable-fridges/giant-power-60l-fibreglass-portable-fridge-freezer

Looks reasonable to me. A known quantity in the compressor, a decent warranty as well as 2” insulation which is as good or better than a lot of the common models. I wouldn’t call it cheap, but it does seem reasonably priced in comparison to what else you can buy. I like the internal lids as well as the the main lid.

RedRoadRunner
16th December 2015, 07:12 PM
Well, with minimal research, I went for a Waeco 40.

Good bad or indifferent, it is done now, let the chips fall where they may.

threedogs
16th December 2015, 07:40 PM
Well, with minimal research, I went for a Waeco 40.

Good bad or indifferent, it is done now, let the chips fall where they may.

Just make sure you have good connections and steady 12 v supply .
You should have no problems IMO

RedRoadRunner
16th December 2015, 07:48 PM
I've got a second battery on the way...

Might do a little 12v wiring on the weekend...

threedogs
16th December 2015, 07:55 PM
Give any cig sockets the flick they do fail and not the best going.
use either twistlock Engel/Baintech style, even 50 amp anderson will
do the trick. Make sure your wire is adequate to carry the current to the rear of the Patrol,
Even a merit socket and plug would be OK

When you fit your Dual battery tray please use Mudguard washers [penny washers]
and nyloc nuts, Ive seen too many GQs with broken inner guards from poor fitting
practices.

sooty_10
16th December 2015, 07:55 PM
Ah typo for me... ha ha meant 220V

But yes that 2nd one does look better. So have you installed this into yours?
Interesting idea... Got a mate that had a busted engel I should try and fix
Ive used this temp controller on my engel setup too mate. Works a treat.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

RedRoadRunner
19th December 2015, 07:01 AM
Give any cig sockets the flick they do fail and not the best going.
use either twistlock Engel/Baintech style, even 50 amp anderson will
do the trick. Make sure your wire is adequate to carry the current to the rear of the Patrol,
Even a merit socket and plug would be OK

Well, after a little retail adventure, getting all the tools ready, and spreading shit all over the kitchen table to do surgery....I realised that the Waeco plug just has a little sleeve on it you can take off and it fits in a merit socket. :icon_bonk:

threedogs
19th December 2015, 10:42 AM
Doh,,,, welcome to the club, now to mount the
Merit somewhere where it cant get knocked .

RedRoadRunner
20th December 2015, 12:30 PM
Doh,,,, welcome to the club, now to mount the
Merit somewhere where it cant get knocked .

Right above the fridge, so I can snap the plug when I open the door incautiously.

threedogs
20th December 2015, 02:04 PM
There are a few options to mount it, I have used an Engel transit base ,but that wont work for you.
There are two styles of fridge slides one slides and the other $$$$ slides and drops down.
Make sure you restrain the fridge from moving around maybe use some rachett straps.
Where are you putting your fridge???

LaughingBeagles
20th December 2015, 04:38 PM
I have a drop slide, which is excellent for my wife as well as me. Dropping it down makes access easy as. Worth every cent.

Tap tap tap

cltchrystal
15th January 2016, 03:20 PM
I just bought a Waeco CFX 65DZ I'm going on a round Australia trip, so I'm hoping it will be the right one for me.

mudski
17th January 2016, 10:54 PM
I have a drop slide, which is excellent for my wife as well as me. Dropping it down makes access easy as. Worth every cent.

Tap tap tap
Yeah that's next on my list I reckon. Been using my ARB 47L for 4 days straight so far camping with no drop down on a set of draws and its becoming a real pain in the butt.
As for the fridges, like i did state i have a Engel 32L and a 75L, now i have a ARB47l and its surprisingly good. Well thought out in the design, and is quietrr than the Engels too.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Wizard52
26th January 2016, 12:41 PM
IMHO Trailblazer is best. Bought son one for his 21st birthday 9 yrs ago and he repaid the favor a couple of years later and bought me one for Xmas.
If you are on Fraser early September, it seems every 2nd vehicle has a trailblazer and some of them are over 20 years old and have not missed a beat.
Standard insulation is 75mm thick with option of 125mm so are very efficient at retaining temp with minimum of power. All aluminum inside and out so no rust problems and the outside is a heat sink like normal home fridges so no bags etc required.
The bigger waceos need care in packing as if overloaded the longer side can bend out and then won't seal which is obviously not good.
Engel would be my 2nd choice.

gregs
16th March 2016, 12:21 AM
I really like the National Luna fridges but their price scares me, actually would have loved to have bought an Explorer at the time, although I did consider them in the begining, the price sent me packing and we ended up with a 50L waeco, it was on special at the time (yep I was a tight arse back then and still am).

Touses
16th March 2016, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=Wizard52;655828]IMHO Trailblazer is best.

Trailblazer, never heard of them. They got a site? Ta

Edit. Same same gregs. Never heard of national luna.

threedogs
16th March 2016, 10:23 AM
I just bought a Waeco CFX 65DZ I'm going on a round Australia trip, so I'm hoping it will be the right one for me.

Make sure the wire size to the rear is of adequate size and that the connections
are tight, never use cig sockets or plugs they are old school, buy the Baintech
twist lock style. Waeco's need the wire etc to be right or your lights wil start flashing.

@ Youse here's some picks of a Trailblazer 12v fridge, even the ADF use them I think.
One tuff fridge, great insulation but a tad pricey if you ask me

Wizard52
17th March 2016, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=Wizard52;655828]IMHO Trailblazer is best.

Trailblazer, never heard of them. They got a site? Ta

Edit. Same same gregs. Never heard of national luna.

Just google Trailblazer and up it comes. Norcoast Refrigeration and all hand made in a shed at Caloundra. Every unit is tested in a hot room to ensure it really works. Excellent after sales service and Margaret runs the show after her husband died several years ago. She really knows how and why they work so a phone call can sort out any problems.

threedogs
17th March 2016, 01:46 PM
Not all fridges will work in places like Cape York so do
some searching and hopefully you'll find the right fridge

From memory only the Trail Blazer was suitable for the
humid conditions

Maxhead
17th March 2016, 05:18 PM

humid conditions

Compressor fridges shouldn't have an issue in those climates IMO.
My cheap Waeco worked a treat for weeks up there, even my caravan fridge had no issues on gas but it had the fan on the condenser

….................... On the move

Stropp
17th March 2016, 07:58 PM

humid conditions

i have had a trailblazer 80 ltr (very big) for 25yrs, spent a long time in the tropics when i lived in darwin, never had a problem except for how much room it takes up, i bought a primus mamoth 45 ltr for short trips.

Nightjar
18th March 2016, 10:19 AM
Make sure the wire size to the rear is of adequate size and that the connections
are tight, never use cig sockets or plugs they are old school, buy the Baintech
twist lock style. Waeco's need the wire etc to be right or your lights wil start flashing.

@ Youse here's some picks of a Trailblazer 12v fridge, even the ADF use them I think.
One tuff fridge, great insulation but a tad pricey if you ask me

Far out, look at the wasted space taken up by the surrounds, maybe alright left in the shed, but on the road two Engels would fit with double the fridge/freezer storage.

Winnie
18th March 2016, 10:25 AM
Far out, look at the wasted space taken up by the surrounds, maybe alright left in the shed, but on the road two Engels would fit with double the fridge/freezer storage.

Twice the space and will use 5 times more power to keep it the same temperature ;)
Think of all the space all your extra solar panels will take up in the car!
Trailblazas have their place. Not for me but they are the best of the best.

Stropp
18th March 2016, 11:34 AM
Twice the space and will use 5 times more power to keep it the same temperature ;)
Think of all the space all your extra solar panels will take up in the car!
Trailblazas have their place. Not for me but they are the best of the best.

have to agree winnie, mine wont fit in the patrol with the drawers in it but its well over 20yrs old and i have just a single compartment but made a basket and lid to separate the top from the bottom so the bottom freezes and the top is cold. its tall enough with the basket in and the false floor to stand a 2 ltr bottle of milk.

Wizard52
20th March 2016, 04:08 PM
Compressor fridges shouldn't have an issue in those climates IMO.
My cheap Waeco worked a treat for weeks up there, even my caravan fridge had no issues on gas but it had the fan on the condenser

….................... On the move

As long as insulation is up to scratch and you can keep power up to it.

threedogs
20th March 2016, 05:32 PM
Has anyone pulled an Engel apart and had a look? My Engel is only tin inner with a tin outer, Im thinking
of placing some insulation around the inner basket to improve its efficiency a tad, I do have some thermal
liner they use on the walls of an A-380 aircraft thats well rated to minus temps as well as plus temps.
Im sure that plus the other mods Ive done will keep it ticking over for more years to come.

@ Winnie think you'll find the Natonal luna are very efficient thats why they cost so much, done side is the size
5 times more power is wrong
You are right in saying the National Luna [Trail Blaza] are the best of the best though
http://www.nationalluna.com.au/65lt-fridge-alum/