PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Island 2016

AB
6th December 2015, 08:55 PM
My brother and ourselves families are in first stage of planning our trip to Fraser Island next year.

I just mocked up a draft itinerary below.

Any thoughts on changing anything?

Keeping in mind unlike our old mans trips up there when we were kids we are taking it easy with young toddlers and stopping in at the parks on the Gold Coast for some fun and just cruising home.

The olds used to do straight Melbourne to rainbow beach which he blew the turbo on the old lux back then so we are making it easy on the kiddies and the better halves this time around.

Any tips on Fraser that has changed since the 90's appreciated too. ;)

TPC
6th December 2015, 09:44 PM
Most of that is fairly easy going.
Goondiwindi to Fraser could be a bit much depending where you are staying on the island, you have to allow for the time it takes to go over on the ferry and if you are driving up the beach you have to pick your travel times to match the tides.
I think you would be better off staying at Rainbow beach for a night to make it easy to get on the island with time to set up camp.

Maxhead
7th December 2015, 07:48 AM
I think your travel times are a bit on the short side. Especially with 2 families. eg. 819km I reckon you;d be looking at 10 hrs plus.
Just vehicles or you towing??

AB
7th December 2015, 07:52 AM
I think your travel times are a bit on the short side. Especially with 2 families. eg. 819km I reckon you;d be looking at 10 hrs plus. Just vehicles or you towing?? thanks mate yeah they were just google maps travel times I haven't accounted for the 45 million stops families want to take.

We're not going to take the campers either, tents all round!

Winnie
7th December 2015, 08:00 AM
thanks mate yeah they were just google maps travel times I haven't accounted for the 45 million stops families want to take.

We're not going to take the campers either, tents all round!

Make sure you waterproof that tent good and proper! You do not want another night like at Orroroo which would be a million times worse with the mrs and kids with you! lmao

Our fuel usage average for the Simpson trip was over 15L/100km on the highway plus you'll probably be travelling heavier this time

Maxhead
7th December 2015, 08:24 AM
When I camped for extended periods in tents or camper trailer I always put up a 11x9 meter tarp over the whole camp setup. Gives you a bit of insulation, protection from sun and rain and if it's pi55ing down on pack-up day, you and your gear will be dry.

Bit of extra gear to lug around but definitely worth it :)

Sir Roofy
7th December 2015, 09:11 AM
Make sure you waterproof that tent good and proper! You do not want another night like at Orroroo which would be a million times worse with the mrs and kids with you! lmao

Our fuel usage average for the Simpson trip was over 15L/100km on the highway plus you'll probably be travelling heavier this time

Winnies night mare you,l never forget that night lol

MudRunnerTD
7th December 2015, 10:35 AM

Winnies night mare you,l never forget that night lol

I was there! it was Funny.... Lucky it was a Boys trip at that stage though for sure.

AB
7th December 2015, 10:36 AM

We weren't exactly efficiently driving our patrols either...lol

Winnie
7th December 2015, 10:58 AM
We weren't exactly efficiently driving our patrols either...lol

Remember that headwind coming into Orroroo? Crazy!!

Maxhead
7th December 2015, 04:50 PM
Another thought, pre-purchase your fun park tickets as they come on good special throughout the year and most have 12 months on them .
...and if you have you Expanda you can use same spot as this if you go to sea world...LOL Had the whole beach to ourselves for the night:)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63154&stc=1

gaddy
7th December 2015, 05:23 PM
You have to pre book beach camping zones , can't just book to beach camp anymore, and who would want to go in school holidays ! Reckon we will be there then too .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

AB
7th December 2015, 07:03 PM
You have to pre book beach camping zones , can't just book to beach camp anymore, and who would want to go in school holidays ! Reckon we will be there then too . Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk Yeah wow, a lot has changed since I was last there!

Whereabouts will you be camping?

AB
7th December 2015, 07:04 PM
Another thought, pre-purchase your fun park tickets as they come on good special throughout the year and most have 12 months on them . ...and if you have you Expanda you can use same spot as this if you go to sea world...LOL Had the whole beach to ourselves for the night:) looks like a great spot to set up tents... ;)

mudski
7th December 2015, 07:41 PM
Not sure how your kids are for long distance driving butour recent trip to Moreton Island we did a runner from Dubbo to the Gold Coast. It was around 13 hours for us in total. But we did stop in Moree to swim at the local artesian spa for about two hours, and had three other stops in this trip.
We were supposed to stay at Goondowindi for a night but decided to not and give us an extra day in the GC.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

AB
7th December 2015, 07:45 PM
Not sure how your kids are for long distance driving butour recent trip to Moreton Island we did a runner from Dubbo to the Gold Coast. It was around 13 hours for us in total. But we did stop in Moree to swim at the local artesian spa for about two hours, and had three other stops in this trip. We were supposed to stay at Goondowindi for a night but decided to not and give us an extra day in the GC. Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk Mia was ok when we did the Neerum meet up, Lachy will interesting though...lol

He'll be 2.5 years old so DVDs and daddy's selective hearing attributes will see us getting on the island in one piece :)

gaddy
7th December 2015, 09:23 PM
Yeah wow, a lot has changed since I was last there!

Whereabouts will you be camping?
Usually somewhere between happy valley and cathedral beach , it's central to getting around the island

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Maxhead
7th December 2015, 09:31 PM
But we did stop in Moree to swim at the local artesian spa for about two hours, and had three other stops in this trip.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

You prick, one stop we were spewing we didn't get too.,.....any pics????

sooty_10
7th December 2015, 09:39 PM
Cant add much to this except i waved to fraser and ate fresh tiger prawns on rainbow beach today. Watched the ferry go across. Would love to get over there in the next year or so. Unfortunately this time i was in a rental car 😕

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

AB
7th December 2015, 09:41 PM
Usually somewhere between happy valley and cathedral beach , it's central to getting around the island Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk no worries, let's catch up on the island and drink beer to show the forum ;)

mudski
7th December 2015, 10:35 PM
You prick, one stop we were spewing we didn't get too.,.....any pics????
Its no big deal there mate. You wouldn't even know it was a spa as they make them into swimming pools. So you would just think its a bloody hot swimming pool.

mudski
7th December 2015, 10:40 PM
Mia was ok when we did the Neerum meet up, Lachy will interesting though...lol

He'll be 2.5 years old so DVDs and daddy's selective hearing attributes will see us getting on the island in one piece :)
Hey mate i have one of those head rest dvd players your welcome too if you need. We bought it around 10 years ago for our first trip to qld with our oldest when she was 1. It played Nemo on loop the entire trip north. Lol.
It has two screens, one has the dvd player in it and it plays to both screens.
Its old and cheap. Doesnt work with copied dvds though from memory.
Its yours if you want it.

AB
8th December 2015, 07:55 AM
Hey mate i have one of those head rest dvd players your welcome too if you need. We bought it around 10 years ago for our first trip to qld with our oldest when she was 1. It played Nemo on loop the entire trip north. Lol.
It has two screens, one has the dvd player in it and it plays to both screens.
Its old and cheap. Doesnt work with copied dvds though from memory.
Its yours if you want it.

Thanks mate, we already bought one when we did the QLD trip but thanks anyway. Absolute life saver on long trips.

Winnie
8th December 2015, 07:58 AM
I was there! it was Funny.... Lucky it was a Boys trip at that stage though for sure.

What was funny was me calling you from the laundry at 4am to tell you to pack up because we were leaving!

taslucas
8th December 2015, 12:55 PM
What was funny was me calling you from the laundry at 4am to tell you to pack up because we were leaving!
As funny as you calling krissooooo....?

tappin from tassie

Wizard52
18th January 2016, 06:14 PM
Hi AB

Best place to camp is around Cathedral Beach-probably a bit north as it is usually best place to catch the tailor in September.
Tides not good to arrive on Tuesday 20th with high at 10.30am and low 4am and 4.30pm so it is either first barge at 5am from Inskip or hit the beach at about 1pm. Don't use the Hook Point back track if possible as it is crap. You might have to dodge the waves around some trees just before you come around Hook Point. Coming home is better with low tide at midday on Wednesday. It will take a good hour to the barge from Cathedral Beach. Watch the radars and breath tests especially Eurong to Elli Creek. There are 40klm per hour zones either side of towns or tourist spots.
Monday and Tuesday afternoons until about dark with rising tide will be the best time to catch tailor with those tides. Just look for the line of cars and make sure you can cast straight or cop a mouthfull from anyone you get tangled with.
Even with the restrictions, it is still my favorite place to go. I'll be there for 2nd and 3rd and maybe 4th weeks in October after the crowds have gone home.
Good luck

AB
18th January 2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks mate, I might push it forward a day then and get out early on the barge.

lhurley
18th January 2016, 07:20 PM
Depending on where you are staying, you can always catch the barge from Hervey Bay which drops off at kingfisher. It lands on concrete so tides aren't an issue. Can get soft through the middle of the island but no waves to watch out for. Obviously once you hit the open beach then tides are an issue. Again depending on where you stay.

Wizard52
21st January 2016, 09:44 AM
Thanks mate, I might push it forward a day then and get out early on the barge.

Probably best to camp at Inskip Point near barge although it will be crowded during holidays.

cheers

Wizard52
22nd January 2016, 12:13 PM
Depending on where you are staying, you can always catch the barge from Hervey Bay which drops off at kingfisher. It lands on concrete so tides aren't an issue. Can get soft through the middle of the island but no waves to watch out for. Obviously once you hit the open beach then tides are an issue. Again depending on where you stay.

Another option for sure but way more expensive. I think Inskip barge is $110 return but River Heads is $175 return in holidays and $165 off peak. Lucky for the locals we get a bit of a discount.