PDA

View Full Version : type of headlight for H4 HID

boggy2006
7th April 2011, 09:09 PM
hi,

I'm looking at upgrading to HID and first need to replace the standard sealed units to ones which take a H4 bulb, but I have been told some headlight types work better than others by projecting a better beam and not blasting the light out in all directions. Does anyone know which is best eg. projector, clear lense, magnifying, standard, reflector, etc etc? There are a few on ebay, any suggestions which might be the best type?

http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=patrol+gq+headlight&_sacat=0&_stpos=3023&gbr=1&_dmpt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=patrol+headlight&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Thanks

big_fletch
7th April 2011, 09:14 PM
It will come down to personal preference realli.. I like the clear inserts and that's what I would buy..

NissanGQ4.2
7th April 2011, 09:21 PM
Before straying from the sealed beams, Do you do many river crossings or bog holes @ night??? Maybe it was just my setup bit i found after putting H4's into mine every time i did a river crossing at night I would blow the H4's, ended up going back 2 sealed beams.

Just something 2 consider if u haven't done so already.

Cheers

Todd

Finly Owner
7th April 2011, 09:28 PM
I believe the H$ HID's have a seal with them to stop water getting into bulb area. I am lead to believe they work best with crystal reflectors and clear fronts, if Ive got that right?

Tim

the evil twin
7th April 2011, 09:31 PM
Just about tried them all... the "standard" reflector setup is by far the best.
Magnifiers - you may have trouble getting the bulb to fit
Projector and Crystal - blow the light everywhere so not much better than standard sealed beams and p1ss off the oncoming drivers no end

Narva or Hella reflectors seem to be as good as each other.

Lo and Hi Beam - make sure you get the dual beam bulbs made for headlights and not single beam made for spotties. The ballast automatically switches the HID as if it was a normal bulb.

If you live were it is foggy or do a lot of night time around gravel/dusty roads get 4300 colour not 6000. The 6000 is so "white" it is like someone put a sheet over your windscreen in Fog or Dust

maque
12th May 2011, 07:17 PM
why dont you try on craiglist or at stylintrucks they have a cheap price in there. when i am in need a blue headlight bulbs i got it for only $28.99. :) hope it helps!

-2008 nissan patrol blue headlight bulbs (http://www.stylintrucks.com/category/lighting/bulbs.aspx)
-2007 Suburban 3LT
-2007 Haulmark Enclosed Car hauler
-2001 Pewter Z/28
-2000 NBM Camaro

Dark 1
12th May 2011, 11:09 PM
Not had too much to do with the replacement lenses but i'm told the crystal reflector clear lense is a great mod.
Hope this helps.

the evil twin
13th May 2011, 10:57 AM
Not had too much to do with the replacement lenses but i'm told the crystal reflector clear lense is a great mod.
Hope this helps.

There are supposed to be some good ones but the couple I was given to try were both rubbish. Look good but the lighting pattern was terrible. They threw the light around like one of those mirror balls in a Disco so you had these bright and dark patches off to the sides and poor overall intensity down the centre

Also, for anyone contemplating HID's the best insert by far in a 7 Inch insert headlamp is the "standard" style with the diffuser in the lens as it maintains reasonably close to original cutoff and spread patterns

Only drawback is possible water ingress once you go from Sealed to Semi sealed beams but that is true of any Insert

Clunk
14th May 2011, 12:49 AM
There are supposed to be some good ones but the couple I was given to try were both rubbish. Look good but the lighting pattern was terrible. They threw the light around like one of those mirror balls in a Disco so you had these bright and dark patches off to the sides and poor overall intensity down the centre

Also, for anyone contemplating HID's the best insert by far in a 7 Inch insert headlamp is the "standard" style with the diffuser in the lens as it maintains reasonably close to original cutoff and spread patterns

Only drawback is possible water ingress once you go from Sealed to Semi sealed beams but that is true of any Insert

excuse my lack of knowledge ET but hwat do you mean by insert???

the evil twin
15th May 2011, 12:16 AM
excuse my lack of knowledge ET but hwat do you mean by insert???

'Insert' is the reflector and lens assy which replaces the sealed beam head lamp.

Clunk
15th May 2011, 12:19 AM
'Insert' is the reflector and lens assy which replaces the sealed beam head lamp.

okely dokely, cheers for that