PDA

View Full Version : Winch solenoid mounting.

King_ady1
26th November 2015, 07:37 AM
Hey guys. Just looking for people's mounting ideas and locations for the solenoid box...

My hesitation points.

Although it's suppose to be waterproof... I would prefer it up under the bonnet to keep it out of those big holes just incase.

But how far away would be maximum to avoid power loss??

Any pics on mounting locations would be great.

I'm planning on moving the control plug to a convenient location. And have controls in car. So that won't be a problem.

Cheers.
Adrain.

mudski
26th November 2015, 08:11 AM
Mine is mounted to the winch motor. So its all hidden.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Hodge
26th November 2015, 08:23 AM
Mine sat between the grille and the rad on my crd. Ill post up a photo later on.

Tapatalked from S6

jff45
26th November 2015, 08:56 AM
This is a thread I did a while back. There are several pics of how I located mine behind the battery and installed the plug in the cabin..

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?28560-DIY-Winch-mount-winch-install-with-alloy-bumper

King_ady1
26th November 2015, 10:53 AM
Thx guys. Nice one Jff, beautiful job. I think my box was a bit big for that gap behind the battery. But I'll investigate bit more when I get home.

Hodge
26th November 2015, 05:55 PM
Here is a few pics of where I put mine mate. First pics shows where it was on the common bullbar position. And the second one shows where it ended up. It sat between the radiator and the grille bracket. The grille has a plastic bracket thats attached to it, which sits between this metal bracket on the car and the grille (if that made sense lol, sorry already 3 stubbies down). You remove this bracket off the grilee itself and it gives you room for the solenoid box. Hidden behind and tucked away. However I had a remote control for this, but still could reach down and plug in the wired remote if needed.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62875&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62876&stc=1

Winnie
26th November 2015, 06:28 PM
Mine is mounted to the winch motor. So its all hidden.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Yeah so have I.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/219.jpg

Bacho86
26th November 2015, 07:58 PM
Yeah so have I.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/219.jpg

Any excuse to show it all off again! Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King_ady1
27th November 2015, 10:04 PM
Ok... So taking a look under the hood and I can't see too much room for this basterd to fit. It's a large thing
This is what I'm working with....

This is the only real spot I can see to mount without moving everything and squeezing it in somewhere...

Does any1 see any real issues with mounting it up here?? Heat from exhaust??

If this doesn't work I might just mount in bull bar or grill area.

Cheers again.

Winnie
27th November 2015, 10:12 PM
Ok... So taking a look under the hood and I can't see too much room for this basterd to fit. It's a large thing
This is what I'm working with....

This is the only real spot I can see to mount without moving everything and squeezing it in somewhere...

Does any1 see any real issues with mounting it up here?? Heat from exhaust??

If this doesn't work I might just mount in bull bar or grill area.

Cheers again.

It's a long way from the winch, ideally you want it as close as possible.
I would definitely put it in the grille or bar if that is an option.

King_ady1
27th November 2015, 11:14 PM
Ye that's what I was thinking. I'll be having a closer look into a location up front probably Sunday. Love only having one day off a week lol.

BigRAWesty
28th November 2015, 08:36 AM
In the gq we have a relay cover right next to the main batter with a large open area under it.
So I have mine stripped down and mounted there. I have the remote plug there aswell and the wireless reciver.
I'll take a shot today

jff45
28th November 2015, 09:15 AM
If you open that plastic container, you might find that the solenoid itself is much smaller so it will give you more options..

BillsGU
28th November 2015, 09:18 AM
I have mounted mine inside the back of the bullbar and installed a wireless remote system. If I have to I can get under the front and plug in a cable - but I have had this system for a number of years now and the remote works fine everytime. If you get a solid state relay system then water is not a problem. Just seal the connections when you install it.

Bigcol
28th November 2015, 11:48 AM
my control box is mounted up under the rad
with the plug mounted in the bull bar next to the winch
and wired controls on the dash

MudRunnerTD
28th November 2015, 12:26 PM
On the fire wall is a long way. Agree with Winnie the voltage drop will be high. Note though, if you are committed to using the supplied pre crimped cables at the supplied length then anywhere they reach is the same ;). Make zero difference.

If your happy to shorten the cables to suit your install and dan re crimp the as close as possible. I would be opening that control box up and see what is inside for sure.

King_ady1
28th November 2015, 01:28 PM
Ye. I really wasn't a fan of up on the fire wall either.
Opened up the box and this is what I have got.

This unit should be water resistant on itself right?? The casing didn't actually have any seals anywhere??
In theory how much risk would it be having it out of the case behind one of the battery's??

I would prefer the safer mounting option,
So it basically comes down to out of case behind battery, or in case beside winch.??
As for wiring I'll do what I have to :)
I just don't want risk of failure when I actually need it :P

MudRunnerTD
28th November 2015, 04:16 PM
Ye. I really wasn't a fan of up on the fire wall either.
Opened up the box and this is what I have got.

This unit should be water resistant on itself right?? The casing didn't actually have any seals anywhere??
In theory how much risk would it be having it out of the case behind one of the battery's??

I would prefer the safer mounting option,
So it basically comes down to out of case behind battery, or in case beside winch.??
As for wiring I'll do what I have to :)
I just don't want risk of failure when I actually need it :P

The photo didn't work mate. Try again please or log on via tappatalk and post it from there from your phone.

King_ady1
28th November 2015, 10:09 PM
How about now?62963

jay see
29th November 2015, 12:55 AM
How about now?62963

Yep, its there.

MudRunnerTD
29th November 2015, 11:33 AM
So what you have there is a solid state solenoid. I have had one on the GQ without any further protection forever. I have now gone to an Allbright but the concept is the same.. That box has glands to stop water ingress so I assume that is how they guarantee the water proof P67. Removing it will void that but personally i would not hesitate but that's me.

If you really wanted to you could run some silicon around the joint of that solenoid for piece of mind.

BigRAWesty
29th November 2015, 12:03 PM
Yep I've mounted that solenoid next to the battery..

King_ady1
30th November 2015, 12:57 PM
Righto. Only other question I think I have on this note, and I me sure it's been asked a lot lol.
I should be wiring off my crank battery as my second is a deep cycle Correct??
I have always been told to run off second battery so don't drain the main.... But I don't plan to ever use it without the engine running.

I

MudRunnerTD
30th November 2015, 01:14 PM
Off your Cranker for sure mate. Thats where your Alternator will work the best. Everything else off your second.

***EDIT. I have moved your thread into the DIY Electrical section for future searches.

King_ady1
30th November 2015, 04:47 PM
Thought so. Just wanted to check. And cheers. That's probably a better spot for it :)