PDA

View Full Version : Sex Positions.

Chubba
18th November 2015, 06:24 AM
Now that I have your attention people.
When ever I turn my A/C on I get the very strong smell of auto trans fluid coming out of the vents for a couple of minutes. Any theories?

Rocket55
18th November 2015, 06:39 AM
I'd say condensation and then the growth and build up of mould in the vents. You can probably get some spray to help, but I'd be running the air con all the time for a while (read weeks) to dry it out. For the record, I can't remember the last time I turned mine off.

Chubba
18th November 2015, 06:49 AM
I run mine almost every day of the year. And the smell is ATF not a mouldy smell. Is the intake for the A/C the grill under the windscreen?

Rocket55
18th November 2015, 07:18 AM
There goes that theory then... I'm not sure whwre the air con gets it's air from.

Robo
18th November 2015, 10:01 AM
You Verrry funny.

Turn the fan on & put your air on recycle, then spray well with glen-20, directly into the air intake under the dash.
this will kill the germs causing the odour.
you may need to repeat a couple of times depending on how bad the cooler is blocked up with gunk.

dust, hair build up inside the cooling unit.
you may want to do this annually as a preventative maintenance.

I came across this advice on here, it works well.
my only concern was the possibility of spark from fan motor catching the spray alight.
Have done this a few times now over a number of years, with no problem.

Maybe before you start, turn off all red lights!!.

the evil twin
18th November 2015, 06:50 PM
Now that I have your attention people.
When ever I turn my A/C on I get the very strong smell of auto trans fluid coming out of the vents for a couple of minutes. Any theories?

If the problem persists you may have to do away with your current unit and resort to a (cough, cough) manual conversion
It is not uncommon for difficulty in getting some pairings up to equal operating status simultaneously

Yendor
18th November 2015, 07:25 PM
Check that your heater core is not leaking.