PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on the GU Y61 TB45 ??

machoiran67
7th April 2011, 03:26 AM
Hello to all!

For more than a year, we eye a GU Y61 TB45 Super Safari which a knowledge would be ready to sell. The vehicle is in Germany and was approved in this country last year (first ratification in Europe for this type of Y61). He tempts us a lot, that is why I would have liked your opinions on the reliability of this motorization. Because seen the whims of the ZD30...

The ratification in France will be long and difficult, we would like to choose thus well...

The TB45 is of 1998, it is 60 000 kilometers and was completely revised and correctly maintained.

Thank you very much!!;)

YNOT
7th April 2011, 08:01 AM
The TB engine series is very reliable. The only weakness in the TB45 that I know of is in the conrods. When Nissan revised the TB42 to create the TB45 they removed weight from the conrods to increase engine response and smoothness, this created the weakness. Driven normally and maintained well this will never be a problem, but if you start modifying the engine to get more power and driving the vehicle hard then it could be a problem. The fix is relatively easy, just strip the engine down and fit TB42 conrods.

The only other issue with the TB45 is high fuel consumption, these engines love to drink so don't expect to get too far on a tank of fuel.

Tony

katwoman
7th April 2011, 08:08 AM
I've had the TB45 for about 5 months now, and love it !! Other than overheating problems, due to aftermaket radiator it is great !!
But Tony is right, they suck up the fuel... Needs to be on gas if possible. I have an 80litre gas tank which is not big enough. Go bigger if you can.

Bob
7th April 2011, 08:16 AM
I've had the TB45 for about 5 months now, and love it !! Other than overheating problems, due to aftermaket radiator it is great !!
But Tony is right, they suck up the fuel... Needs to be on gas if possible. I have an 80litre gas tank which is not big enough. Go bigger if you can.

X 2 on that Kat. Also keeping it well tuned helps with the Fuel Consumption

machoiran67
7th April 2011, 10:52 PM
The only other issue with the TB45 is high fuel consumption, these engines love to drink so don't expect to get too far on a tank of fuel.

Tony

Our GQ Y60 TB42E consumes approximately 23 liters to 100 kilometres, the consumption of the GU TB45 must be similar, no?

In summary, so well maintained great reliable vehicle.

Thank you very much for your answers! Do not hesitate to give me others informations.;)

Havoc
9th April 2011, 05:59 PM
hi. its a good option, the petrol will go all the same places the diesel will, and you will be happy with the output of the engine. but the diesel will get you to the same destination for much less in regards to fuel figures. the diesel may cost a lot more on initial outlay, but will hold a lot more resale value.

johanp
12th April 2011, 05:05 PM
I own a 2001 4.5 GRX. It is a lovely car when you are not in a hurry. The automatic gearbox helps to make it sluggish and it is using a lot of fuel. It is a great car and an excellent 4x4.

machoiran67
13th April 2011, 12:26 AM
If it's possible, have you some pics of the dashboard and engine compartment (for TB45E)? Thanks!

katwoman
13th April 2011, 12:38 AM
Only this one from me.. Is the middle of the night, but I'm sure some of the other guys can help you out tomorrow. This is my first Patrol and so far I am quite happy with. Regardless of what you buy, even if it's a Volvo, you generally have to modify something to suit your own needs, and make it your own.