PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for the rain

DX grunt
9th July 2010, 09:16 PM
It's bucketing here in WA. Get ready for it.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR311.loop.shtml#skip

Take care out there.

Ross

Woof
9th July 2010, 10:16 PM
I am so over this rain Ross, bring on Summer, the dogs are waiting for me.

DX grunt
9th July 2010, 10:24 PM
I am so over this rain Ross, bring on Summer, the dogs are waiting for me.

Got a bit out here. Not sure how much though.

Saw lotsa damaged roofs on the news. This problem could have been sorted out years and years ago by the govt. All they had to do was make it law that housing within 20km of the coast had to be cyclone rated. All the houses up north have to be cyclone rated, I understand. Down your way, it cops it at least once or twice a year.

Think of the money they would save, and think of the callouts SES wouldn't get. Easy solution, not a good comercial decision on the govt's part though.

patch697
9th July 2010, 10:31 PM
This is the wettest it been in my neck of the woods for a loooooong time but we have been in drought for 15 years so where all but dancing in it here.

Cheers
Paul

Woof
9th July 2010, 10:59 PM
We have had 39mm in the last 2 days, I know that we need it but it does not pay the bills.

patch697
9th July 2010, 11:13 PM
We have had 39mm in the last 2 days, I know that we need it but it does not pay the bills.

I sorry to here that Doggie that truly is the down side to mother nature. We haven't copped anything like that here. By the time your weather gets to us its weakened considerably & thats if it gets to us at all. Most of it stays along the coast.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
9th July 2010, 11:46 PM
The Building Code of Australia requires house framing to comply with cyclonic design standards within 50km of the coast from Bundaberg QLD running anti-clockwise around to Carnarvon WA.

Areas south of these localities are not required to comply with cyclonic framing requirements.

If roofs fail in areas below this zone then it's most likely due to the age and deteoriation of the structure or non-compliance with applicable design codes. Wind over roofs creates lift, which is why framing tie downs are an integral aspect of frame construction. Tie downs are required to be provided between foundation and floor, floor and wall, wall and roof framing. The flatter the roof the greater the lift imposed on the building.

Thats interesting info, Thanks for posting it. So hows the weather been down your way Rohan? your closer to the coast than I am.

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
9th July 2010, 11:56 PM
The Building Code of Australia requires house framing to comply with cyclonic design standards within 50km of the coast from Bundaberg QLD running anti-clockwise around to Carnarvon WA.

Areas south of these localities are not required to comply with cyclonic framing requirements.

If roofs fail in areas below this zone then it's most likely due to the age and deteoriation of the structure or non-compliance with applicable design codes. Wind over roofs creates lift, which is why framing tie downs are an integral aspect of frame construction. Tie downs are required to be provided between foundation and floor, floor and wall, wall and roof framing. The flatter the roof the greater the lift imposed on the building.

Thanks for the info Plasnart. Pitty the clock didn't go a bit further anti-clockwise and end up where it started. LOL - not.

I'm an ex-Vic too. Born near Lake Eildon, had rellies living in Geelong too. Don't know where they are now though. Saw the light in 1980 when I came over from NSW in the navy and have only been back 3 times. Seen enough snow to last me a life time.

patch697
10th July 2010, 12:08 AM
Clear, still, cold and dark Paul. No sign of inclement weather but looking at the radar there's plenty coming across from SA. We should get it by morning by the looks of it.

Yeah it must be big mate cos where gonna cop it here as well.

Not good weather for doing headlights mate?

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
10th July 2010, 12:15 AM
Check out Adelaide

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/radar/

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR461.loop.shtml#skip

patch697
10th July 2010, 12:24 AM
Yep thats definitely going to hit us. Its a big bastard isn't it.

Cheers
Paul

AB
10th July 2010, 02:33 AM

Good stuff, we had massive winds about 2 years ago in the hills. We're surrounded by the Yarra Valley region and east burbs.

Like you said Rohan all the gable roofs (thankfully mine were ok) but 2 kliplock flat roofed homes and 1 corry flat roofed in my area tore apart like paper due to that wind load underneath.

The lift of a flat roofed home can be a problem with wind loads indeed...

Simmo
10th July 2010, 03:00 AM
Yep, big winds coming into Vic right now.

It's 2:30am (not sure why I'm still awake...haha) but It's getting strong now.

Minx
10th July 2010, 03:32 AM
Yep, big winds coming into Vic right now.

It's 2:30am (not sure why I'm still awake...haha) but It's getting strong now.

Gettin prety windy over here right now.

Might have to run outsode and strap down my tarp on my vdub project...haha, another story for another time guys.

DX grunt
10th July 2010, 10:06 AM
How you guys going over in the east?

patch697
10th July 2010, 10:46 AM

Its like a theme park in Dimboola Wet, Wild & Windy. I guessing theirs gonna be some trees down today. I might get a call out.

Cheers
Paul

Minx
10th July 2010, 12:58 PM

I forgot to put the rubbish in the bin, now there is crap flying all over my backyard.

pretty damn windy with rain coming in sideways on your face trying to pick up used nappies....Great day!

patch697
10th July 2010, 01:09 PM
I forgot to put the rubbish in the bin, now there is crap flying all over my backyard.

pretty damn windy with rain coming in sideways on your face trying to pick up used nappies....Great day!

So did we learn something from this Shane??????

lol............

Sorry mate I couldn't help myself... I tried to stop but my fingers wouldn't let me..lol

Cheers
Paul

Woof
10th July 2010, 01:56 PM
Hooray the sun is out.
Hey Ross, you need to clear some of your space on your PMs, cannot send you anything mate.

DX grunt
10th July 2010, 03:25 PM
Hooray the sun is out.
Hey Ross, you need to clear some of your space on your PMs, cannot send you anything mate.

Sorry Wayne. Didn't realize I was that popular. LOL. Done, mate.

patch697
10th July 2010, 04:25 PM
bummmmmmmmp

Minx
10th July 2010, 08:17 PM
When Minxy says there's crap flying all over his back yard, he means it - literally!! haha!

Mate it got worse then that today.

The dogs were trying to eat the poo in the dirty nappies which looks like mustard and i had a couple too many drinks last night for a mates birthday and i was dry reaching hard.

I havent got the stomach for that stuff and seeing the dogs try and chow down pooey nappies was just rank....lol

Woof
10th July 2010, 09:46 PM

The dogs were trying to eat the poo in the dirty nappies which looks like mustard and i had a couple too many drinks last night for a mates birthday and i was dry reaching hard.

I havent got the stomach for that stuff and seeing the dogs try and chow down pooey nappies was just rank....lol
Oh thanks for sharing that with all of us mate.................................not:bowdown:

patch697
10th July 2010, 11:39 PM

I hope I don't here about this on good news week....lol

Cheers
Paul

Clunk
26th July 2014, 05:46 PM
I have read your post and found it really nice and interesting. I am totally agree with you and would like to say thanks to you that you share this SPAM with us.

Wow that's a bit of a thread dig mate, hope you're not spamming the forum with your business details............ Oh look it appears you are

MEGOMONSTER
26th July 2014, 05:49 PM
Wow that's a bit of a thread dig mate, hope you're not spamming the forum with your business details............ Oh look it appears you are

I reported the post already.

growler2058
26th July 2014, 05:54 PM

Deleted his post the other day. Saw a link in it today and have banned the scrote

Avo
26th July 2014, 06:52 PM

you and me,,,bastards

MEGOMONSTER
26th July 2014, 07:04 PM
you and me,,,bastards
I don't mind being one, I'm told every other day anyway. Lol