PDA

View Full Version : Workshop jack

PullsyJr
8th November 2015, 10:03 AM
So on my adventures of DIYing the Patrol, I have realised that the standard jack is pretty awful.

What is the best way to raise the car for maintenance purposes? I've done some reading about high lift and exhaust jacks but they seem to be more about recovery and come accompanied with DO NOT USE TO REMOVE WHEELS!! warnings.

Should I just get a hydraulic bottle jack for when I am in somewhat controlled circumstances? Or would a high lift do until I've got stands under the car?

Cheers
Luke

threedogs
8th November 2015, 10:17 AM
Throw your mechanical OE jack away and go buy a 20 ton hydraulic one less effort.
and always support the vehicle with stands if your underneath, Always carry a good jacking base plate as well
minimum 300mm x 300mm either timber or steel.

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2015, 10:27 AM
Buy a trolley jack at least 2ton rating for home use. They are pretty cheap and com on special regularly.

BigRAWesty
8th November 2015, 11:11 AM
Trolley jack is the way.
The little 2t ones are imo a bit to small phiscally. I'd say go the next size up. Well I wish I did.

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2015, 11:39 AM
Nah the 2000kgs are big enough, I have 2. The next size up is a 2,500kg and the price doubles damn it! I'd have a 2,500kg if someone gave me one though for sure!!

PullsyJr
8th November 2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

Supercheap have an SCA 2.5 ton trolley jack for $100. Is this a reasonable brand or should I get something else? I'd link it but I'm typing this on my phone and it's not playing nice.

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2015, 11:42 AM
Bargain!!!!!!

threedogs
8th November 2015, 11:46 AM
I have a 1800kg Kingkrome trolley jack for home,
paid a bit over $100 for it from memory.

You'll probably get some kind of warranty with it from SC

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2015, 11:48 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/120.jpg

Cheap as chips!! Might buy one too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!

threedogs
8th November 2015, 11:54 AM
@ MR I cant read the dimensions but are they bigger than the 1.5 t jobs
nearly a full size one??

BigRAWesty
8th November 2015, 11:58 AM
Pretty sure the lift arm is close to 100mm longer.. they are quite a bit bigger

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2015, 12:01 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/121.jpg

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2015, 12:01 PM
I am going to grab on for sure!!

threedogs
8th November 2015, 12:03 PM
Pretty sure the lift arm is close to 100mm longer.. they are quite a bit bigger

I'll pop down and check one out only around the corner lol

Clunk
8th November 2015, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Supercheap have an SCA 2.5 ton trolley jack for $100. Is this a reasonable brand or should I get something else? I'd link it but I'm typing this on my phone and it's not playing nice.
I've got one of those, cheap as chips and does the job, used it quite a few times now

PullsyJr
8th November 2015, 01:07 PM
I dun got me a new jack.

For those interested, they also have pairs of 3 ton car stands for $40. Less than half price! The stores around my area are all sold out but I put a set on hold.

BigRAWesty
8th November 2015, 01:16 PM
I dun got me a new jack.

For those interested, they also have pairs of 3 ton car stands for $40. Less than half price! The stores around my area are all sold out but I put a set on hold.
Shoit. I'm on my way to sca

Bacho86
8th November 2015, 01:20 PM
I've got one of those, cheap as chips and does the job, used it quite a few times now

Yeh I've got one of these 2.5t sca ones as well - sometimes when I'm being lazy I wouldn't mind something with a longer arm, but they do the job well for the price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
8th November 2015, 02:08 PM
I dun got me a new jack.

I have the stands and yet to use them, good value IMO at $20 each

Hodge
8th November 2015, 02:39 PM
I have a repco one like the one below and it does the job for me.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62590&stc=1

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2015, 02:54 PM
I have the same jack but in a 2000k version. IMO a 1650kg jack is way to small for a Patrol.

garett
8th November 2015, 02:59 PM
for home use on concrete floor probably good enough. but 1650kg jobbie will wear out quicker. i use a 2.5t sca job for at home, got 3 at work they last ok, if it dosn't lift high enough i just throw in a block of wood. yes i always use jack stands, be crazy not to. have had a car fall off a jack on a dirt driveway .... don't do it use a jack stand!!!

the evil twin
8th November 2015, 03:02 PM
I have one the same as Hodge...
They are a compact little sucker and it packs nicely in my under-tray pannier so it goes with me rather than the factory jobbie.
Agree that they are a tad small for servicing/workshop ( I use a 2000 Kg 500mm lift for that) but the pygmy version is very handy when touring for tyre changes etc

Hodge
8th November 2015, 05:08 PM
I have the same jack but in a 2000k version. IMO a 1650kg jack is way to small for a Patrol.

I have one the same as Hodge...
They are a compact little sucker and it packs nicely in my under-tray pannier so it goes with me rather than the factory jobbie.
Agree that they are a tad small for servicing/workshop ( I use a 2000 Kg 500mm lift for that) but the pygmy version is very handy when touring for tyre changes etc

It is small and versatile, It's never let me down. But sometimes I have to use some wood to get the desired height in order to put it on stands.
But have to agree with ET here, it's small enough to be packed "to go" without it being a hindrance in space or weight.