PDA

View Full Version : Y62 Auto shift problems

Bizz0853
31st October 2015, 02:04 PM
Hi All,

I know I am only new to this forum but I am having some serious issues with my Y62 transmission. The transmission in my Y62 is sticking in 3rd gear when accelerating hard from 95k/hr at approximately 135k/hr when overtaking 4 trailer road trains and with the transmission sticking in 2nd gear when overtaking while towing, this occurs when accelerating hard from 60k/hr and bounces off the rev limiter at around 90 and will not change up unless pressure is released on the throttle.

Before anyone jumps at me about the speed, I live in the NT and the speed is permissible 😂

I would just like to know if anyone else on this forum has experienced the same issue.

Thanks in advance

Bizz

threedogs
31st October 2015, 02:29 PM
This would be a warranty issue wouldn't it.
when was the last service the auto had??

Bizz0853
31st October 2015, 02:34 PM
I thought it was, but after 21 months unable to rectify the problem, it is now classed as a natural trait of the vehicle that apparently affects all Y62s. I

threedogs
31st October 2015, 02:55 PM
All I could suggest is change the oil and filter in the auto.

Bizz0853
31st October 2015, 03:00 PM
The transmission has been replaced by Nissan under warranty, along with the g sensor, Ecu, transfer case, flywheel and numerous software patches and troubleshooting has been conducted. The vehicle has only 50000km on it with only 3k since new transmission.

Bizz0853
31st October 2015, 03:01 PM
Thank you for your replies though, it is appreciated.

threedogs
31st October 2015, 03:14 PM
I can ask a few shops in my travels next week I'll see what I can come up with

Clunk
31st October 2015, 03:26 PM
So how does it perform when accelerating not quite as hard?

Bizz0853
31st October 2015, 03:46 PM
It performs fine when hard acceleration is not required, but towing a boat up a hill with a fully loaded vehicle, or when towing a caravan fully loaded is when then problem is experienced most often. Also when overtaking multiple road trains is an area where maximum power is required. The issue is it is failing me when I need it most at the most unforgiving moments. 😢 Generally I love the car, I'm just quite concerned after the close calls I have experienced when it has failed to shift

Bizz0853
31st October 2015, 03:48 PM
Three dogs I thank you for your efforts, but Nissan Australia's stance is, there is no fault with the vehicle. I have tried to upload a short video, but sadly am unable to

threedogs
31st October 2015, 04:00 PM
Give them the car for a week to trial on your behalf.
surely they could replicate what is doing.

Bizz0853
31st October 2015, 04:12 PM
All up they have had my vehicle in for testing and repairs for over 2 1/2 months, they have video of the issue, they have live recordings of the issue partially occurring but have decided to wipe their hands with it and say it is within the design intent of the vehicle. They have even confirmed it affects all Y62s that is when they returned with the fact it is a design intent of the vehicle and to overcome this issue I need to release the accelerator pedal by 10% to get it to shift up gears. Easier said than done when over taking a caravan that was sitting on 60k/hr up hill into a head wind towing a boat fully loaded. I can just about live with the 130k/hr affect but the 90k/hr when towing is my man in concern

FNQGU
31st October 2015, 04:22 PM
I'm no expert, but it sounds like a TCU programming issue. On my Compushift II, I can adjust all those sorts of parameters to make things happen when I want them to happen. Have you ever looked into TCU programming on the Y62?

threedogs
31st October 2015, 04:24 PM
put a valve body shift kit on the auto, It will shift harder but it will shift.
Where in NT are you..
Give the guys at Wholesales Automatics down here in Melbourne a call
and see what they have to say

the evil twin
31st October 2015, 06:29 PM
Three dogs I thank you for your efforts, but Nissan Australia's stance is, there is no fault with the vehicle.

That stance worked for them with the early ZD30 so no suprises there.

Time to get Consumer Affairs etc involved but you may have a small issue getting a lot of other people with similar problems due to the NT speed limits etc.

I lived there for 13 years in the 80's and 90's prior to any limits at all, loved it 'cause you could leave darwin after Brekky and be in Alice before Tea
Anyone doing under 130 on the Stuart had a line of cars and semis behind them flashing lights and trying to get past.
So not many other Y62 owners will be doing the amount of "hot, heavy and fast" as your vehicle

Bizz0853
31st October 2015, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all your responses so far, 😏 Call me old fashioned but I believe a $70000 car under warranty should be repaired under warranty. I am currently in touch with consumer affairs as I believe 21months is more than ample time to repair a vehicle. My main concern is that the vehicle is quite dangerous when it refuses to shift up gears and has caught me out a few times. As the fault is intermittent and varies in severity it can be hard to anticipate and quite frankly sometimes I just forget about it. I just want other Y62 owners to be aware of the issue, especially if you are touring with a trailer in tow.
Please anyone else that has experienced this problem please contact me. I know there are others on another forum complaining of the same thing, but Nissan insist I am the only person that has an issue with it.

the evil twin
31st October 2015, 06:38 PM
Another thought is that Nissan Darwin could possibly be right and there is a deliberate program in the Trany ECU stopping the change at max throttle, max revs due to the torque curve of that Y62 powerplant, hence the need to lift the pedal and go again, just like a fuel cut in a race car when you change gear.

That could end up being a "sux to be you" moment because Nissan will just call it as an engineering and design requirement and walk away maybe.

NissanGQ4.2
31st October 2015, 06:54 PM
Have yo tried the Y62 Face ache pages?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/aussiepatroly62/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/532563363560686/

Bizz0853
31st October 2015, 08:04 PM
Thanks guys for your replies, I will have a look at the Facebook sites thank you. I just may have to step out of the Stone Age and actually make an account first 😕

NissanGQ4.2
31st October 2015, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys for your replies, I will have a look at the Facebook sites thank you. I just may have to step out of the Stone Age and actually make an account first 😕

hahaha worth doing sometimes. From what I have seen there are more Y62 owners getting around various FB groups then forums :(

Bizz0853
1st November 2015, 10:35 AM
I'm no expert, but it sounds like a TCU programming issue. On my Compushift II, I can adjust all those sorts of parameters to make things happen when I want them to happen. Have you ever looked into TCU programming on the Y62?

I agree with you and do believe it may be a simple programming issue that is in place to protect the transmission, however I am astounded that the program kicks in during what I would quote as standard driving conditions. I would have thought that a 300kw V8 patrol would have been fitted with a transmission that would be near bullet proof or they would have had the common sense to lower the amount of torque available rather than jam the transmission in gear.I would be interested to hear more about this if I am unable to get my patrol repaired.

Hegerty
17th January 2016, 11:01 PM
Hi, this is a TCU issue. There is a towing program available for the Y62. I had it installed in mine by infinitech motorsport Mackay.

WogsRus
27th January 2016, 10:47 PM
more details please although mine has not shown any symptoms as yet

kevin07
6th February 2016, 10:12 PM
I suppose you're still under Nissan warranty which means you probably can't change from specification fluid? Does your auto fluid look nice and red/pink, or brownish? If it's brownish it's cooked. I'd be asking an auto shop about the best transmission fluid for this problem. Is your oil cooler integrated into the main radiator (follow the pipes and see where they go)? If so you it might be better to add an additional loop to an oil cooler in front of the radiator. Gotta keep that fluid as cool as possible is my understanding.

at 40k the tranny oil is putrid

doobre
5th March 2016, 07:35 PM
Forgive my inexperience of the 62. But doesn't it have tiptronic selection that will allow you to override the setting that being in D would enforce on you..