PDA

View Full Version : Adding another fuel tank

Burden
5th April 2011, 11:49 PM
Can i use a GQ fuel tank from a petrol model and put under my 4.2 diesel GQ as an auxilary. Is there any way why this wouldnt be a good idea or wouldnt work? Anyone done this?

The thing is i want more range than the standard rear tank but dont wanto spend big bucks on a long range tank. There are a few ex petrol GQ patrol ones on ebay that might do the job on the cheap if its a viable option.

Vehicle is a 96 GQ 4.2 DX.

Any help or ideas would be great.

Cheers,

Carl

YNOT
5th April 2011, 11:59 PM
Do you mean is it possible to fit a GQ auxilliary fuel tank down the R/H chassis rail in front of the rear diff? If that's the question then the answer is yes it can be done. However you will need to configure it to suit your needs.
One option is to set it up like a GU where you can pump it out into the main tank and always drawer off the main tank. The other way would be to set it up completely independant with it's own feed and return lines. That would require a change over solenoid of some description.

Tony

Burden
6th April 2011, 12:34 AM
Yeah Tony thats exactly what i meant. Had thought that i would set it up like you have mentioned with fuel transfer to the main tank. Thats how i had my tanks setup on my Landy. Good to hear there is no problems using a ex petrol tank cus theres a few on ebay.

I would put a little elec pump on the tank to feed it to the other when i flick a switch. its not the first thing on my list but if the right tank pops up id buy it with the intention to do that in a few weeks time. Cant say i have any experience with doing it so anyone who has done it before and has DIY tips id be interested to hear your thoughts.

Few unknowns are - where could i put a filler access for the tank?

What type of pump to buy?

Where would i plumb into the main tank?

Cheers

Bigcol
6th April 2011, 02:11 AM
well, you could go like the Gu's and have the 2nd filler in with the main one, I have seen that, and that is also how they sometimes fit the Gas filler - with the main tank feed under the fuel flap

as for feeding into the main tank from the 2nd tank....... tap in anywhere off the main feed line into the tank near the top of the filler neck
that's how I have done it on previous 4wd's

I personally prefer to have them separated -
just tapped the 2nd tank draw line onto the main line, with a tap
turn the tap - flick a switch for the gauge - and your running off the 2nd tank

cheers

turborooster
8th April 2011, 07:30 PM
I have done this. I got a twin filler from long range automotive in lilydale vic. The problem with using the tank out of a petrol model is the pipe going into the tank is inch and a half but the filler neck is inch and three quarter. I just used inch and a half pipe as it fit better then went to the exhaust place and got them to flare a pipe for me as an adapter to the filler. The aux tank from a diesel has the right size pipe going into the tank. so its up to you how much stuffing around as to what tank you buy.

Burden
23rd April 2011, 12:02 AM
Ok well this is the weekend that things are seeming to happen. Picked up a LRA Aux tank today second hand. I dont have the twin filler and am doing this project on a very fine budget so i wanted to know if anybody has come up with other ideas to locate the aux filler inlet?

I have decided to go with two independent tanks and will wire the gauge up to a switch. I wanted to know what sort of 3 way tap you would use to select the tank in use and where on the fuel line would be the best place to add it?

Bigcol - Got any shots of your tap setup? where on the fuel line did you cut in to put the tap?