PDA

View Full Version : Diff diognosis

Burden
5th April 2011, 11:32 PM
Hi again guys. Ive been getting some great info from the forums for my new project. Its a 1996 GQ 4.2 DX model, its gonna be my traveling rig. Picked it up for a bargain (will see how much of a bargain when its on the road) now need to do a few repairs before i go for rwc.

I have two concerns one im confident in sorting (water in fuel issue) but my major one im a bit stumped on is exactly what i should be doing about the source of greasy gunk build up on the LHS swivel joint.

Its not wet but looks like it has been leaking in the past. What seal/seals and what sort of process is involved in fixing it. I am planning on putting new oil in my diffs in the next week or so. If by fixing the source of the gunk is it also required at the time to put new oil in the diffs, if so i the timing would be good? I plan on doing the work myself, i have basic tools are there any other special tools required?

Your advise or direction to a relevant post would be great.

Im keeping a running tally of costs for the GQ project and ill post it up as it makes some progress.

Thanks,

Carl

YNOT
5th April 2011, 11:39 PM
Greasy gunk build up on the swivel hub will be caused by a leaking inner axle oil seal. The CV joint and swivel hub bearings are lubricated by grease and the inner axle oil seal is meant to keep the diff oil seperate. When the seal leaks the diff oil will leak out past the swivel hub seals which were never designed as an oil seal. I'll see if I can find a link that shows what's involved in replacing the seal-be patient this may take some time.

Tony

Burden
5th April 2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks Tony, That would be great.

YNOT
6th April 2011, 12:06 AM
Check this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=joint

Tony

growler2058
6th April 2011, 08:19 AM
Check this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=joint

Tony

Gday Burden Tony's pictorial is what I used to do mine its better then the Gregory's manual by a long shot. Take your time and keep everything as clean as possible.

Its also the perfect opportunity to check out all your bearings whilst stripped down.

Have fun with it its good to do the work yourself it gives confidence for in the future if something breaks when your out bush you can have a good crack at fixing it yourself even if its a bandaid repair at the time.

Burden
7th April 2011, 11:15 PM
Great pictorial, Thanks - do i need to buy a kit if so what parts do i need in it? I will do both sides while im at it. How do i tell if cv's are ok? should i be replacing those too?