PDA

View Full Version : Auto transmission problems

alejandro
5th April 2011, 09:29 AM
Hi, I'm from Guatemala (Central America) and I'm the proud owner of a 2003 4.8 lwb patrol with auto transmission, and reading your forum i can see that you know very well Patrols. My auto transmission seems sometimes like i has no power, for example, if I accelerate at 3000-4000 rps, the transmission stalls and makes no gear change so i have to give full power at 5000 rps so that the gear box gets full power and shift. this happens in any gear...I'll be glad to read some opinions...

best regards,

Bigrig
5th April 2011, 09:43 AM
Hi, I'm from Guatemala (Central America) and I'm the proud owner of a 2003 4.8 lwb patrol with auto transmission, and reading your forum i can see that you know very well Patrols. My auto transmission seems sometimes like i has no power, for example, if I accelerate at 3000-4000 rps, the transmission stalls and makes no gear change so i have to give full power at 5000 rps so that the gear box gets full power and shift. this happens in any gear...I'll be glad to read some opinions...

best regards,

G'day Alejandro - one of the moderators may move your post to the introductions section (no harm done mate) - someone will be along to assist with your question soon no doubt.

YNOT
5th April 2011, 06:32 PM
G'day Alejandro - one of the moderators may move your post to the introductions section (no harm done mate) - someone will be along to assist with your question soon no doubt.

Nah, I'll leave it here because it a driveline question but I'll give it its own thread. It's always nice to post an introduction before asking questions but as Bigrig said, no harm done.
I'm not really in any condition to answer tech questions at the moment, may be more help in the morning!

Tony

Bigrig
5th April 2011, 06:51 PM
Nah, I'll leave it here because it a driveline question but I'll give it its own thread. It's always nice to post an introduction before asking questions but as Bigrig said, no harm done.
I'm not really in any condition to answer tech questions at the moment, may be more help in the morning!

Tony

What Tony is saying very subtly Alejandro, is that he is on the turps!! (that is Australian for drinking beer). lol

Finly Owner
5th April 2011, 10:50 PM
Have you checked the transmission fluid levels? What colour is it? It sounds to me like either a torque convertor problem, or clutch pack problem. If the clutch pack is operating in poor quality fluid it can notpush the fluid throught he valve body correctly. If it low on fluids the clutch pack will overheat causing major problems. If it is the torque convertor in needs over haulig.

Tim

alejandro
6th April 2011, 07:51 AM
well not actually, but I'll check the fluid level...this lack of power also happens when using the tipronic transmission, apparently when I'n in any gear and suddenly I give some gas it takes some time to react and then you feel the kick but the shifts react very slow after shifting manually. I hope that there's no serious harm cause down here is very hard finding spare parts. Most of them are found in Australia, which is a bit far from here, but thanks for your help. I'll try to keep in touch with y'all

Here in Guatemala we get on the turps too, here we call it "traguitos"...

Finly Owner
6th April 2011, 09:44 PM
well not actually, but I'll check the fluid level...this lack of power also happens when using the tipronic transmission, apparently when I'n in any gear and suddenly I give some gas it takes some time to react and then you feel the kick but the shifts react very slow after shifting manually. I hope that there's no serious harm cause down here is very hard finding spare parts. Most of them are found in Australia, which is a bit far from here, but thanks for your help. I'll try to keep in touch with y'all

Here in Guatemala we get on the turps too, here we call it "traguitos"...
Sounds like like it a bit powerful?

alejandro
30th April 2011, 02:39 AM
does anyone have any idea why the gear box stalls at 4000 rpm's? as if you suddenly stopped accelerating but after a push to te pedal it gains acceleration once again?

YNOT
30th April 2011, 07:04 AM
That sounds more like an engine problem to me.

Tony

alejandro
5th May 2011, 08:52 AM
well I cleaned de MAF with contact cleaner and improved a little. But if you say that sounds like engine problem, what could be the cause?

alejandro
5th May 2011, 08:57 AM
I also have a 1991 swb Y60 with LSD but do you have any rear diff locker besides ARB and that adapts to the clutch disks of the diff?

alejandro
5th May 2011, 08:57 AM
thanks Ynot...