PDA

View Full Version : Hi lift or exhaust jack

LaughingBeagles
24th October 2015, 12:12 PM
Hi all,

Was talking to my local ARB stockist with a view to purchasing a hi lift jack. He suggested I go for an exhaust lift as an alternative due to the fact that I don't have sliders and no where to use the jack at the rear of the vehicle.

He said in order to make use of a hi lift, I would need a bunch of extras which would wrack the price up from $180 for the basic jack to something silly.

Before spending $350 on an exhaust lift, I thought I would thought it out there and see what others thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the evil twin
24th October 2015, 12:23 PM
I would recommend an air bag over a hi-lift every time, lighter, faster, safer etc

Mine is similar to this one.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-BULLET-Air-Jack-Exhaust-Tools-4-Tonne-Multi-Layer-4x4-Off-Road-Car-/140610226183?hash=item20bd05c807:g:QIoAAOSwo6lWKXl 4

Think I paid a hunjy or so about 5 years ago.
Still working gangbusters

threedogs
24th October 2015, 01:26 PM
Not many places you can safely put a hi-lift on mainly plastic Patrols.

An airbag maybe messy[mud] but its faster and safer

LaughingBeagles
24th October 2015, 01:46 PM
Great feedback guys, much appreciated.

BigRAWesty
24th October 2015, 01:56 PM
I would recommend an air bag over a hi-lift every time, lighter, faster, safer etc

Mine is similar to this one.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-BULLET-Air-Jack-Exhaust-Tools-4-Tonne-Multi-Layer-4x4-Off-Road-Car-/140610226183?hash=item20bd05c807:g:QIoAAOSwo6lWKXl 4

Think I paid a hunjy or so about 5 years ago.
Still working gangbusters
That's That's a killer price..
So yours is still going well??
I'm buying one soon as I will be using the jack spot for the pump..

threedogs
24th October 2015, 03:08 PM
Plus 6kg compared to 13kg for a hi-lift, only down side I can see is it may take up a bit of room.
but you're going 4x4ing not touring eh, so plenty of room

the evil twin
24th October 2015, 03:47 PM
Plus 6kg compared to 13kg for a hi-lift, only down side I can see is it may take up a bit of room.
but you're going 4x4ing not touring eh, so plenty of room

I dunno... I usually do 2,000 to 4,000 when touring and did over 10,000 on the "Meetup in the Middle"
The Air jack is one of the first bits of kit I chuck on board.
Very handy when you bust a fetlock on a 'van as I found out

MudRunnerTD
24th October 2015, 04:26 PM
No brainer. eBay exhaust jack every day for me

Rossco
24th October 2015, 06:25 PM
Yep. I hate bloody hi lifts, dangerous awkward and bulky things. Haven't got an exhaust jack but used them before and they do work very well.

mudski
26th October 2015, 12:00 PM

Remember a few years back at Murrundindi I blew the bead on the front right? And you jumped in with Big Fletch and did it all why I just stood aside and watched? Lol. We used my exhaust bag and a Hi lift together.
Depending on the situation your in I suppose, but I'd have both. As I don't trust a hi lift by itself, but I don't trust the bag too. Especially if you need to get under the car. In that situation, both used together would be better in my opinion.

Sir Roofy
26th October 2015, 12:12 PM
Remember a few years back at Murrundindi I blew the bead on the front right? And you jumped in with Big Fletch and did it all why I just stood aside and watched? Lol. We used my exhaust bag and a Hi lift together.
Depending on the situation your in I suppose, but I'd have both. As I don't trust a hi lift by itself, but I don't trust the bag too. Especially if you need to get under the car. In that situation, both used together would be better in my opinion.

That's right Darren was holding the highlift and warning it could slip at any time

threedogs
26th October 2015, 02:52 PM
A hi-lift at the best of times is very dangerous, but if used correctly can serve many purposes.

mudski
26th October 2015, 02:55 PM
That's right Darren was holding the highlift and warning it could slip at any time
Plus we had my winch out too for extra support from memory.

Sir Roofy
26th October 2015, 06:02 PM
Plus we had my winch out too for extra support from memory.

And dug out the side of the track to get at the rim was a good day

DX grunt
26th October 2015, 06:14 PM
I've got a Bushranger X Jack, and love it. Haven't used it in anger yet, but practiced a couple of times. Hahaha

From memory, mine was around the $300 mark, and I had to buy the extra bit to fit onto the hose.

Make sure you read ALL the instructions carefully on which ever one you decide on purchasing - before you use it.

Rossco

Woof
26th October 2015, 06:24 PM
I've got a Bushranger X Jack, and love it. Haven't used it in anger yet, but practiced a couple of times. Hahaha

From memory, mine was around the $300 mark, and I had to buy the extra bit to fit onto the hose.

Make sure you read ALL the instructions carefully on which ever one you decide on purchasing - before you use it.

Rossco

Probably need it soon mate, the heat up there may melt the bitumen and you will get stuck

Rossko07
27th October 2015, 11:10 PM
Apart from being able to use the highlift maybe on the bullbar or the camper trailer I probably should get an exhaust jack for the car. Good point raised!

outback
1st November 2015, 09:00 PM
get an exhaust jack for the car

Unless the bull bar has high lift jack points it won't do well on a patrol.
The exhaust /air jack is smarter.

The only time I have ever consider purchasing a high lift jack was for the ability to use it as a hand winch and even that process is dangerous.

LaughingBeagles
1st November 2015, 10:09 PM
Have ordered a bush ranger exhaust jack. [emoji3]

Batten44
4th November 2015, 10:14 PM
Any ideas how much the airbags can lift?

BigRAWesty
5th November 2015, 12:58 AM
3.5-4T they say.

the evil twin
5th November 2015, 02:31 AM

Highest rating I have seen was 20 tons IIRC

Tank
5th November 2015, 06:02 AM
Have to say I love my highlift, so many uses from being a jack, winching , as a spreader and a press, breaking beads on tyres and so many other uses that I haven't found yet I am sure

Chimo
5th November 2015, 03:43 PM
Used an exhaust bag many times at work in the desert and other off the beaten track spots in a range of vehicles form 4wd to Falcons. Useful to get unbogged etc especially if you are out on the job miles from help on your own. These days Oc health and safety wouldn't allow you to do what we had to do on you own in the bush back in the day.

BUT make sure you carry a sheet of ply or similar to protect the bag from sharps and hot pipes and you will be good to go.

Cheers
Chimo

LaughingBeagles
5th November 2015, 10:09 PM
Apparently 8000 pounds (3.5 or so tonnes)

threedogs
15th February 2017, 03:54 PM
Other than a 4 tonne rating what else should
I be looking at when buying an exhaust jack??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Jack-Exhaust-Tools-4-Tonne-Multi-Layer-4x4-Off-Road-Car-4T-Rescue-4WD-Mud-AU-/252376501592?hash=item3ac2cfcd58:g:JpIAAOSwo4pYT7H g

PeeBee
15th February 2017, 05:22 PM
I have both and had to use the highlift just last weekend to change a flat tyre on a rutty track, simply the wrong time and place to have to do it. I didn't have the exhaust bag with me, so couldn't use it anyway. the highlift did the job, but it was bloody nerve wracking to say the least as they are not very stable under load - because they are designed to fall over, and required an enormous amount of weight on the handle to get the final 2" of lift to remove and replace the wheel. I am not sure I could have employed the exhaust jack where I was stranded, but I would have liked 'something' a bit more stable than the highlift. Not sure this post really helps???

threedogs
16th February 2017, 09:20 AM
I have both and had to use the highlift just last weekend to change a flat tyre on a rutty track, simply the wrong time and place to have to do it. I didn't have the exhaust bag with me, so couldn't use it anyway. the highlift did the job, but it was bloody nerve wracking to say the least as they are not very stable under load - because they are designed to fall over, and required an enormous amount of weight on the handle to get the final 2" of lift to remove and replace the wheel. I am not sure I could have employed the exhaust jack where I was stranded, but I would have liked 'something' a bit more stable than the highlift. Not sure this post really helps???

Yeah makes sense, different situations require a different approach to the way you recover a vehicle.
Im thinking once you take your compressor ,,recovery bag and other bits and pieces. On top of that
the exhaust jack bag ther's not much room left IMO

10G
24th February 2017, 12:57 PM
Digging up an old thread, but a worthwhile one.

I've used a Hi Lift once. I found it too bloody hard to jack with and at the time I thought it was bloody unstable and as dicey as hell. I've used an exhaust jack about arf a dozen times and found them very safe, very effective and very messy, used to suffer from exhaust gas coming out and getting me and the bag all messy post lift.

I love bottle jacks, small, lightweight, easy to use and pretty safe, but not always practical. ATM all I have is the jack that came with the vehicle. When the time comes I think I'll be getting an exhaust jack, I just don't think Hi Lifts are safe.

DX grunt
24th February 2017, 04:36 PM
This is what I've got.

http://bushranger.com.au/xjack.php#.WK--4oVOLIU

threedogs
24th February 2017, 05:07 PM
This is what I've got.

Looks good and from memory TJM are stockists, now is there anything else that goes with
it that would help like 600mm x 600mm sections of conveyor or carpet. I can get heaps of ute liner
off cuts if they would help

DX grunt
24th February 2017, 06:53 PM
I've never used it in 'anger'. You might best talk to somebody that uses it reasonably regularly.

Remember, if you don't follow the manufacturer's instructions, you'll probably be in trouble if anything happens/goes wrong.

mudski
25th February 2017, 11:54 AM
This is what I've got.

Yeah me too. Bought mine from ARB at last years show.

threedogs
25th February 2017, 08:06 PM
Digging up an old thread, but a worthwhile one.

I've used a Hi Lift once. I found it too bloody hard to jack with and at the time I thought it was bloody unstable and as dicey as hell. I've used an exhaust jack about arf a dozen times and found them very safe, very effective and very messy, used to suffer from exhaust gas coming out and getting me and the bag all messy post lift.

I love bottle jacks, small, lightweight, easy to use and pretty safe, but not always practical. ATM all I have is the jack that came with the vehicle. When the time comes I think I'll be getting an exhaust jack, I just don't think Hi Lifts are safe.

They are not called widow makers for nothing,
Many a broken jaw to I assume, always leave with the handle pointing up
not out at 90 and certainly not with a load on the handle.
They have their uses though trio of Trewalla,Ox and Original Hi-lift

MB
25th February 2017, 09:39 PM
They are not called widow makers for nothing, Many a broken jaw to I assume, always leave with the handle pointing up not out at 90 and certainly not with a load on the handle. They have their uses though trio of Trewalla,Ox and Original Hi-lift
Agreed TD, bought meself a budget 'Jackal' back in me 20's. Dead set lucky to be alive, best brands are needed for sure and usage knowledge for recovery only as Evil Twin has kindly always advised!!

Hodge
25th February 2017, 09:50 PM
We have a monthly safety meetings at work. We get briefed on any incidents in our industry.
One of the recent ones was a bloke trying to hook up a cable trailer onto a pintle hook. Jockey raiser wheel was rooted so he was raising and lowering to suit using a hi lift of all things ...
Something on the jack let go hit his shoulder and knocked him arse over head. Shoulder reco was in order.
Hi lift in the wrong hands can go pear shaped ....
Bit of random trivia from me.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

threedogs
26th February 2017, 12:26 PM
We have a monthly safety meetings at work. We get briefed on any incidents in our industry.
One of the recent ones was a bloke trying to hook up a cable trailer onto a pintle hook. Jockey raiser wheel was rooted so he was raising and lowering to suit using a hi lift of all things ...
Something on the jack let go hit his shoulder and knocked him arse over head. Shoulder reco was in order.
Hi lift in the wrong hands can go pear shaped ....
Bit of random trivia from me.

they have a built in safety device called a shear pin, that accident was probably caused
by trying to lift too much and the pin let fly[broke]. and thats what its supposed to do.
As suggested in the hands of the wrong person, could've been worse,

Hodge
26th February 2017, 12:47 PM
Yeah definitely can be dangerous . I don't own one , nor have I ever used one. I actually have zero experience with a hi lift ...

threedogs
26th February 2017, 02:22 PM
Yeah definitely can be dangerous . I don't own one , nor have I ever used one. I actually have zero experience with a hi lift ...

In the right hands they are very usefull, you can use them as speader. even a log splitter.
Not a lot of places to use them on modern 4x4s with so much plastic

MB
26th February 2017, 07:51 PM
I believe TD in the early days from Dad's original 'Hi-Lift' they might have also even advertised them as a sort of backup recovery winch, albeit ridiculously slow safely resetting every meter and severely underpowered/rated too I would imagine. I still have his old one and going strong it is although would never use it on Mrs MB's wagon. Only ever paired Dad's 'Hi-Lift' and my shitty 'Jackal' together on my steel ute tray corners for chucking rocks or logs under the rear tyres etc...Airbag jacks definitely sound the safest option, carry both I guess if coin and space can permit and choose the bag first and foremost if it can possibly be squeezed under the truck when stuck.

Coger
26th February 2017, 07:53 PM
Well you got me thinking, something new to get, I used my hi lift on my camper a couple of times, not to heavy good lift points, but the camper is gone now, as you say there is nowhere on the patrol to use them. I will just keep the hi lift for pull ing fence posts, spreading stair stringers etc

MB
26th February 2017, 08:50 PM
I too need to invest in a bag Coger after this thread mate and many other very helpful threads on here. If you've already got a Hi-Lift I still reckon they are worth taking along as backup mate. One scenario I experienced years ago was on the Murray river flats accidentally slid/dropped my old DX ute into a very narrow boghole bellied out. Winch died and my old 4.3m lightish tinny was still out of the hole so used one to disconnect it and push it aside. There was absolutely no way I believe a bag could have been SCUBA'd under the truck yet the two steel jacks saved the night hoisting the tray corners up enough to throw logs under the tyres and clear the diffs. Not recommended practice but it worked that night.

threedogs
27th February 2017, 09:55 AM
Most Hi lifts come with a 48" bar I would never contemplate buying the 60" bar as a replacement.
I realise having a coil live axle it needs to be lifted heaps if jacking by the bullbar, there are
attachments that will slip over the hub and make the lift shorter.
The thought of having your pride and joy 60" in the air is mind boggling most 60" bars will bend,
most chinese 48" bars will bend too .Not long ago a heap of chinese bars flooded the market
so buy a branded Hi-lift,,,, My Trewella jack was purchased back in 82 but used them before that
pulling out fence posts, just place the "foot" in a notch and jack away.
If no notch wrap a chain around it, you'll acheive the same result lol
If buying one for the first time ,,buy one with the optional "top foot" very handy indeed. lol

threedogs
7th March 2017, 05:56 PM
Along the recovery lines,,, does anyone still carry or use a Tirfor hand winch anymore.
I remember up the Cape in '83 the ppl in front @ Cockatoo creek were winching
one vehicle with one of those pissy little "come a longs". We offered to help but
they flatly refused so we lost half a day waiting for them. Made camp and they were
still winching the second vehicle up at 10pm that night ,,,GRrrrr some ppl,, lol

MB
7th March 2017, 06:50 PM
Yeah John mate, still have again Dad's old one in my shed now. Original Tirfor, used it in my 20's on lightweight FJ40s back when da back could handle it:-) Reckon its only been used a couple of times in the last 10 years clearing logs on the block or at work inside factories without electric bullbar access. Tuff old things but damn you need to be fit :-)

threedogs
8th March 2017, 10:24 AM
Yeah John mate, still have again Dad's old one in my shed now. Original Tirfor, used it in my 20's on lightweight FJ40s back when da back could handle it:-) Reckon its only been used a couple of times in the last 10 years clearing logs on the block or at work inside factories without electric bullbar access. Tuff old things but damn you need to be fit :-)

yeah very labour intensive thats for sure, plus they were a bit bulky to carry around
then you had the coil of cable, How things have changed,, and safer too I hope,,,,lol

PeeBee
8th March 2017, 09:43 PM
Many many years ago I bought a BRANO - the Czech copy of the Tirfor or the original design - can't remember. One of the strongest winches within its capacity range that i have come across. It was heavy, extremely tight and hard to engage, but would winch and winch as long as you had the strength to cycle the lever and never did a shear pin. This was the single motivator to getting a powered winch! My brother still has it and its been thru hell and back, no maintenance etc and abused its whole life, but I bet if I had to use it tomorrow it would save the day.

threedogs
9th March 2017, 05:13 PM
Many many years ago I bought a BRANO - the Czech copy of the Tirfor or the original design - can't remember. One of the strongest winches within its capacity range that i have come across. It was heavy, extremely tight and hard to engage, but would winch and winch as long as you had the strength to cycle the lever and never did a shear pin. This was the single motivator to getting a powered winch! My brother still has it and its been thru hell and back, no maintenance etc and abused its whole life, but I bet if I had to use it tomorrow it would save the day.

Yeah there was only one "brand" of Tirfor for years then the Patent ran out
maybe in the early 90's and market was flooded with inferior chjnese copies.

PeeBee
9th March 2017, 05:26 PM
Yeah there was only one "brand" of Tirfor for years then the Patent ran out
maybe in the early 90's and market was flooded with inferior chjnese copies.

The Brano is made in Europe and is unbelievably heavy, so heavy it is almost a pain to carry. It was made from 3mm mild steel which has twice what the Tirfor was, and you could not twist the frame like a tirfor. I don't know if they are still avail for sale, but I would go for one of these over the Tirfor.

MB
18th March 2017, 02:27 PM
AB and I paired up 2 x new Hi-Lift Extremes today to help on his block. Works pretty good and quick to just lift tree ends up 50mm to keep the chainsaws out of the dirt!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/148.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/149.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
18th March 2017, 05:02 PM
I'm still going to invest in an exhaust jack for tyre changing and most recovery situations. Currently still using the bottle jack for tyre swaps. Thought I'd still post the new HL-Extreme safety instructions up here for safe keeping. Quite interesting that the Extreme is quote: "Used as a back-up for the Jaws of Life tool, firefighters can remove a car door to rescue trapped victims"
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/152.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/153.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/154.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/155.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/156.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/157.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/158.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/159.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/160.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/161.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/162.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/163.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/164.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/165.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudnut
18th March 2017, 05:32 PM
My hi-lift jack is now relegated to post and stump pulling duties as it has a whopping great bow in it. Won't use one again for recovery if I can avoid it.