PDA

View Full Version : Step from Ex-Telstra truck

abeeke
18th October 2015, 10:06 PM
I was about to post this in the "Wanted" section, but thought more of the relevant people might see it here, so hope that's ok?

I have 2 steps either side of my towball, mounted to the tow bar, they are Galvanised, one of them is bent...it came like that, honest!

anyway I can straighten it out with the oxy, but then the Gal will look crap, so I was thinking maybe one of the podologsts have removed these steps, and and would like to sell me one for cash money?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Cuppa
18th October 2015, 10:33 PM
Mine went to the scrapyard when I moved ....sorry, you could’ve had them for nix if I still had them.

BigRAWesty
19th October 2015, 07:17 AM
Hot dip Galv can be re treated with the Oxy and a clean wire brush and a tin of bright silver Galv paint..
Once you've straightened the peice let it cool a little so it's not Brite red..
Give it a quick wire brush to remove any burnt bits.
Once done start applying heat again to the area but also in the close area. Don't have the touch really close about 150mm away will be fine..
Heat it evenly, and take note of the Galv. You see it turn to liquid remove heat and brush across the affected area..it may take a couple of attempts to get it all covered..
If it starts to smoke or fizzle remove heat..
Once done you may have some dark patches. If you do just a quick spray with the bright Galv paint and your done..

abeeke
19th October 2015, 10:19 PM
Story of my life Cuppa! why did you take them off, to improve departure angles?

thanks bigquwesty, I might give it ago this week, can I just straighten it out one day, then reheat he thing latter to reapply the Gal? whats your thoughts on the standard Gal paint you can get?

I'm thinking I might just paint the whole steps, so long as they don't look to shiny when done

BigRAWesty
19th October 2015, 10:58 PM
Yea sure you can heat and treat later. It's just quicker to do it in on as the steel is already hot. You'll just have to apply more heat to re heat it.
Normal Galv paint will be to dark to blend with HDG, try and find a silver or bright Galv spray

Supa
3rd March 2016, 09:45 PM
HI Abeeke
An old thread here but I have a pair of these in good nik if you are still after them. I removed mine as I didn't use them and trying to shed every kilo possible.

Let me know
Cheers