PDA

View Full Version : Remove Fairlead - Factor Bar and XD9000 Winch

Nexus
18th October 2015, 06:12 PM
Hi,

Today I unwound the rope to take a look at it for the 1st time. Got the Patrol 2 months ago.
The muppets that put the rope on let it detach from the holding bolt on the drum so I had no way of getting it to wrap back around the drum.
Ended up cutting it off as the ropes not in great condition anyway.

But when I get some new rope I'm going to need to get the fairlead off to replace the rope. Also thinking of going to a Warn hawse instead of the rollers.

Only issue is I have NFI how to get the 14mm bolts attaching it out. Angles are too steep.
Can't get a spanner on it with enough grip, and my socket set + universal joint doesn't have clearance because of the rollers. Tried taking the rollers out, but couldn't get the axles out due to clearance issues as well.

Am I doing it wrong, or do I a need an angled spanner to get the bolts out?
I presume its a captive nut behind?

Suggestions appreciated.

Hodge
18th October 2015, 06:22 PM
That bolt, as well as the one on the opposing side is threaded into the winch body itself. There should also be 2 more bolts holding the winch in, down below, which are not going through the fairlead.
Hard to tell in the photo, but looks like you could get a short socket and wrench in there and loosen it off.

Bloodyaussie
18th October 2015, 06:24 PM
Hi,

Today I unwound the rope to take a look at it for the 1st time. Got the Patrol 2 months ago.
The muppets that put the rope on let it detach from the holding bolt on the drum so I had no way of getting it to wrap back around the drum.
Ended up cutting it off as the ropes not in great condition anyway.

But when I get some new rope I'm going to need to get the fairlead off to replace the rope. Also thinking of going to a Warn hawse instead of the rollers.

Only issue is I have NFI how to get the 14mm bolts attaching it out. Angles are too steep.
Can't get a spanner on it with enough grip, and my socket set + universal joint doesn't have clearance because of the rollers. Tried taking the rollers out, but couldn't get the axles out due to clearance issues as well.

Am I doing it wrong, or do I a need an angled spanner to get the bolts out?
I presume its a captive nut behind?

Suggestions appreciated.

The rollers are removable mate...

Hodge
18th October 2015, 06:28 PM
The rollers are removable mate...

Doesn't look like the rods through the roller will drop down enough, so he can get the roller out of the way...

King_ady1
18th October 2015, 06:35 PM
Maybe a 1/4 inch drive set might be small enough to fit in there. If your staying with the fair, u could be able to remove the horizontal rollers to fit it in there??

Nexus
18th October 2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the info.
I'd need a super stubby socket, my standard size 3/8 drive is way to long.

Tried getting the long rollers out, but there isn't enough room to pull the long axle out. Gets most of the way, but not far enough.
Short rollers I cant even get onto the circlips. There's about 2-3mm top and bottom between the bar and the clips. Even if I got the clips out the short axles aren't going anywhere.

Hodge
18th October 2015, 06:40 PM
Do you have any of those slightly bent spanners like this ?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62035&stc=1

Nexus
18th October 2015, 06:44 PM
Not yet I don't :)

Though I'd check I wasn't missing some trick before I ran off and got more tools.

https://boxotools.com.au/boxo-bxmgf2r05-10-14mm-5pce-metric-flex-head-wrench-set
Thinking of getting these.

Bloodyaussie
18th October 2015, 06:56 PM
Try one of these.....lol

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x260/jpgpz/clarksonhammer_7186_zpssfzpn3cd.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/jpgpz/media/clarksonhammer_7186_zpssfzpn3cd.jpg.html)

Nexus
20th October 2015, 11:47 AM
Was just chatting to one of the blokes at work, he was wondering if the bar is mounted separately to the winch?
Not able to look at the car now, but the mount looks to be in two pieces. Is the inner plate part of the winch mount, and the outer plate part of the bar?

If I'm able to remove the bar with the winch in place I could drop the vertical rollers and get a socket on the fairlead bolts.

threedogs
20th October 2015, 12:51 PM
Most have a "winch cradle" but you wont know that till you get the patrol home

Nexus
20th October 2015, 12:52 PM
It's a factory bar and winch combo. Is there an install guide / manual for that I can look at? Couldn't find anything in the search.

threedogs
20th October 2015, 01:18 PM
You may have the cradle that bolts up under the chassis using the 4 captive nuts ,2 each side.
check the cradle in this link

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GU-Patrol-Winch-Cradle-suit-Genuine-Nissan-alloy-bullbar-Tjm-ARB-bullbars-/262086831145?hash=item3d0597ac29:m:mWizDeivm7YP6UT ievn59lQ

Nexus
31st October 2015, 03:01 PM
Fairlead replaced.

For future reference you need a 14mm offset spanner like Hodge mentioned in post #7.

The "trick" is to remove the 2 x 10mm nuts holding in the rubber bollards into the factory bar (red arrows in picture) then pull the rubber out of the way.
That will give you enough room to turn the spanner bit by bit.

The original bolts are 3/8 x 1.5 inch long. To fit the warn polished fairlead I needed to use 1.75 inch bolts to get into the square captive nut in the winch.

I also needed to remove about 1mm of material from each side of the aluminum hawse to get it into the slot. Just used the flat of an angle grinder disk. Cant see the marks once its fitted.

Geoff P
12th August 2022, 09:59 PM
Fairlead replaced.

For future reference you need a 14mm offset spanner like Hodge mentioned in post #7.

The "trick" is to remove the 2 x 10mm nuts holding in the rubber bollards into the factory bar (red arrows in picture) then pull the rubber out of the way.
That will give you enough room to turn the spanner bit by bit.

The original bolts are 3/8 x 1.5 inch long. To fit the warn polished fairlead I needed to use 1.75 inch bolts to get into the square captive nut in the winch.

I also needed to remove about 1mm of material from each side of the aluminum hawse to get it into the slot. Just used the flat of an angle grinder disk. Cant see the marks once its fitted.

Fantastic, thank you for the solution.
I have just removed my fairlead (same model truck & winch) so I can replace wire rope with synthetic.
I will put the fairlead roller back as they are smooth and should not damage the new rope.
I am planning to replace those 2 front facing bolts that hold the fairlead in, with cap screws. That way it will be easy to remove the fairlead in the future.
Thanks again for the information on removing (partly) the rubber bumper parts.