PDA

View Full Version : Arden Hills (Flinders)

Chubba
7th October 2015, 01:28 PM
Went up to have a look at Arden Hills last weekend and was unexpectedly surprised..
Stayed at the Quorn caravan park for a couple of days.

With the first day spent on the Pichi Richi Railway for the kids. it was a good trip but a very hot day.

Mon we went on the track. Got the key and mud map at the railway station $45 per car and we were off. About 20km north of Quorn on Arden Valley Rd we came to the Warren Gorge turn off on the left. Over the grid, past the camp ground, past the first gate on the left (track exit) up to the second gate, air down and we were off. The map was a little hard to work out but just follow the green arrows.

not long after we went through the gate we went down a gully to a beautiful BBQ lunch area with table chairs and stone BBQ.

After lunch things got interesting going through the gullies and the creek. lots of steep loose rocky climbs and declines. I wish I had some photos of this part but I was too busy having fun. The views were spectacular with native pines and those unmistakeable rugged red layered rocky outcrops of the Flinders. Beautiful country and excellent driving. Came out of the gullies to some of this.

Over all excellent weekend trip. Will definitely be doing it again.. Very highly recommend for day or one night trip.

Stropp
7th October 2015, 02:49 PM
says invalid attachment when i try to open them :(

Chubba
7th October 2015, 04:46 PM
says invalid attachment when i try to open them :(

Sorry Strop, I think I've fixed it.

Stropp
7th October 2015, 06:22 PM
thanks mate, love the pics of the old home town and surrounds :) cheers

TPC
7th October 2015, 06:31 PM
Great pics Chubba, I have not stayed in the Flinders for a couple of years, must be due to return.

growler2058
7th October 2015, 06:38 PM
Oy cock I'm at Mt Remarkable now!

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

Stropp
7th October 2015, 06:48 PM

thats remarkable growler :)

Chubba
7th October 2015, 07:28 PM

Where exactly dingle, Mambray Creek?

Stropp
7th October 2015, 07:52 PM
i think he is in Melrose.

Chubba
7th October 2015, 08:39 PM
Ok, went through Melrose on the way up.

blocko05
7th October 2015, 09:00 PM
great pics Chubba. Looks like you had a great time. My son loves trains and he wants to go there himself. thanks for sharing

growler2058
7th October 2015, 11:07 PM
Yeah we're headed to Rawnsley station tomorrow

Diddy
21st October 2015, 09:56 PM
Looks like a great spot

10G
21st October 2016, 02:08 PM
We did this track in September '16, yep it's a great track. There are a few hairy sections, or there was when we did it. It had me drawing comparisons with some parts of tracks in the Vic High Country.

A word of warning though.

You pick up the keys, or we did, from the Visitor Information Centre in town (Quorn). The problem with this is, they have no idea of the track condition or the level of experience the driver requires.

This isn't a beginners track by a long shot.

I've got a fair bit of experience, but in more than one spot I would have preferred to have someone else along for recovery reasons.

We went through after the area had had lots of rain and there were washouts on some pretty steep sections.

I aired down and used the locker, had it in 4L most of the way and had more than 1 instance of wishing I'd packed a 2nd pair of undies.

My conclusion was, it's a great track, but it was close to dangerous is some sections when we did it. I'm not sure how often the owners of these tracks drive them, at one point I just said to my wife, I hope we don't have to get out of here backwards, when we came to a corner with a big washout on one side, which if not spotted would see you tumbling down the side of the hill.

But the views and scenery is outstanding.

Would I go again? Bloody oath!