PDA

View Full Version : 11Lt Waeco fridge in Cab

Wizard52
6th October 2015, 12:59 PM
Has anyone installed a small fridge between the seats and if so, any tips before I start.
The bench seat will swapped for another bucket so then I can install the new 11lt waeco.
Thought I saw something recently but a search not match.
The 70lt trailblazer is in the back and is a brilliant freezer so I thought the small one in the cab would be good for drinks etc.

threedogs
6th October 2015, 01:11 PM
If its the one that hold about 10 cans and cools to about 20 below ambient ,
It will drain your battery if left plugged in and not moving,
They work great if you chill your drinks first
Perfect as an armrest too

Winnie
6th October 2015, 01:30 PM
I've thought about it before, would be awesome for day drives out bush.
Turn it on while the car warms up, grab some coldies out of the Engel and fill it up and keep them there all day.

threedogs
6th October 2015, 01:52 PM
I've thought about it before, would be awesome for day drives out bush.
Turn it on while the car warms up, grab some coldies out of the Engel and fill it up and keep them there all day.

would work great that way. warm days with aircon one they might even freeze

the evil twin
6th October 2015, 03:02 PM
I can't help with the fit out but I have one of these 18 litre jobbies behind the centre console of my extended Cab http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18L-Electric-portable-fridge-Cooler-Freezer-12v-24v-camping-caravan-car-fishing-/141115168239?hash=item20db1e95ef

Works awesome and I love the ability to grab an icy cold drink, piece of fruit or whatever "on the fly".

I also use it for an over night or as a Freezer in conjunction with my Engel 40 if needs be.

I'm not a fan of those warmer/cooler Peltier effect combo jobbies tho, they use waaaay too much eleky power IMHO

threedogs
6th October 2015, 03:27 PM
I used to use mine on transit to the Murray well the other two passengers did
but I had dedicated power outlet off the Aux in case we forgot to unplug it at camp.
I did see how long it would last once and it was only about 6 hrs max sitting still.
In my case it was easier to use a smaller sized esky with ice, then tranfer cans
whenever a pit stop was required. Havent used mine for years now.

Bloggsy
6th October 2015, 03:37 PM
Would love to put one these in my Patrol one day and ditch the thermo one I have.

Pretty sure Wizard52 is talking about the waeco CDF-11 which is a compressor fridge/freezer very similar in specs to the one ET posted.

I've seen someone fit this in a GU Ute before elsewhere. Google "cdf 11 patrol" and you should find it.

threedogs
7th October 2015, 05:44 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272006670475?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Heres a cheap fridge if not many more bid on it, and an Engel too

blocko05
7th October 2015, 08:10 PM
I think they are a great idea. The CDF-11 will sit between the seats perfectly and they are a compressor fridge so they are efficient. Would love to put one in my rig when the funds allow me.

Wizard52
9th October 2015, 12:25 PM
Would love to put one these in my Patrol one day and ditch the thermo one I have.

Pretty sure Wizard52 is talking about the waeco CDF-11 which is a compressor fridge/freezer very similar in specs to the one ET posted.

I've seen someone fit this in a GU Ute before elsewhere. Google "cdf 11 patrol" and you should find it.

Yep that's the one I have. Tested it and it cools down very quick.
Have strapped it to front seat as I'm off to Fraser tomorrow for 2 weeks.
Lucky for me that the solar panel on the roof will charge main battery as well as 2nd one as long as the dual battery isolator does not disconnect main. After driving even a short distance, main is above threshold to disconnect so solar goes to both batteries and I can run this new fridge off cigarette lighter until I mount permanently and then run off 2nd battery.

jay see
9th October 2015, 07:45 PM
I had a cooler/warmer in my old surf, will see if I can dig up some pics. Great for the day trips winter or summer.

Wizard52
25th October 2015, 08:51 AM
Just back from the Island. Fridge worked great and cooled the days drinks down in a couple of hours. With a bit of patience you can get 18 cans in.
Found article in old 4wd action mag for install but pictures would help. Still have to find a bucket seat to replace bench.

jay see
26th October 2015, 11:17 PM

Not sure on the size, but it was out of autobarn.

Triumph69er
22nd November 2016, 01:44 AM
Sounds great. Got one in the Prado, did a trip on the Holland track WA. Have to have one in the MK ute. If it goes ahead with the rebuild.