PDA

View Full Version : towing in 5th???

Boagie
3rd April 2011, 11:17 PM
i am going up north later this year---i will be towing a tinny loaded on a trailer ---probably no more than 300 kg or so --surely the weak box on the old girl can handle that weight???????????----if not i am starting to lose all that respect i have got for my old datsun lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finly Owner
3rd April 2011, 11:29 PM
5th should be fine on easy roads, if bigger inclines drop down to fourth.

Tim

DX grunt
3rd April 2011, 11:31 PM
I always tow in 4th. Keep an eye on the revs.

Ross

PS Don't forget your max speed on the open road is only 100kph towing the trailer.

the ferret
3rd April 2011, 11:32 PM
Mate, I'd say that weight would be fine in 5th. I towed a 25ft boat to exmouth and blew 5th half way, but that was 3/4 ton.
If she starts lo labour a bit up hill, pull er back one. cheers. ps mine was a MK sd33t. GU box is a bit tougher, but seek ynots advice, he's the guru.

the evil twin
3rd April 2011, 11:50 PM
Hmmm... a 99 GU eh... you might be in the danger bracket for the dodgy 5th gear machining problem in the early manual boxes. If you have the correctly machined splines, shafts etc then you can tow for years in 5th. If you have a dodgy box and the gear and shaft hasn't already been replaced heavy towing in 5th is def a risk.

300 to 400 Kg isn't very much load tho...

Check out this thread for more info

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3204-GU-5th-Gear&highlight=gear

DX grunt
4th April 2011, 12:13 AM
Hmmm... a 99 GU eh... you might be in the danger bracket for the dodgy 5th gear machining problem in the early manual boxes. If you have the correctly machined splines, shafts etc then you can tow for years in 5th. If you have a dodgy box and the gear and shaft hasn't already been replaced heavy towing in 5th is def a risk.

300 to 400 Kg isn't very much load tho...

Check out this thread for more info

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3204-GU-5th-Gear&highlight=gear

How loaded up is your ute gunna be?

YNOT
4th April 2011, 06:24 AM
Mate, I'd say that weight would be fine in 5th. If she starts lo labour a bit up hill, pull er back one.

That's the best advice.
As ET suggested your only real concern is whether or not you have the upgraded 5th gear, unfortunately there is no external way to determine if the G/box has been upgraded. If it's been upgraded you can tow in 5th all you want, but if you're not sure follow ET's advice, when it starts to labour, pull it back a gear.

Tony

Ghost
4th April 2011, 01:33 PM
Iv always towed in 5th in my GQ is it only a Gu problem?

the evil twin
4th April 2011, 02:08 PM

It's pretty much all explained in the links, cobber.

There was a small production run of 5 Speed boxes where the splines were not fully machined for 5th gear. Obviosly it took a while for the failures to occur and when the did Nissan replaced the faulty components.

I think the problem was very late 90's to very early 2000's but not exactly sure

All was OK prior and since

Darwin Bound
11th April 2011, 08:23 PM
great...i got the 2000 model and am pulling a 12x5 trailer that will be loaded up to its 2t capacit...I dont wanna be driving 4100km's to Darwin in 4th gear?

timbar
11th April 2011, 08:44 PM

i tow all day every day in 5th gear and always have my rigs done 580,000 km + and have never had a problem with it it must be a gu problem

melts
11th April 2011, 09:20 PM
I would say the light loads would be fine in 5th, however the higher loads might be recomended to downgear quickly and use 5th on the dead flats or downhill.

as soon as your on an incline downshift.

the godfather
11th April 2011, 10:54 PM
Mmmmm! As I have just spent a load of time rebuilding my GU box for this exact reason, I woudn't risk it myself. The issue doesn't seem to be so much the trailer as the torque on the shaft at low revs in 5th gear. A loaded utility might do just the same thing. So it's mainly a matter of revs. The torque rating on 5th or OD on any vehicle is quite low and all manufacturers recommend you don't use overdrive when towing. So as a rule of thumb, if your payload on the vehicle is 600kg then towing a 600kg trailer should be fine...in theory.

Boagie
11th April 2011, 11:06 PM
are you saying the load is too much 4 the ute????-----payload all up will be 700k ??????

the godfather
12th April 2011, 10:13 PM
No. I am saying when your load exceeds the vehicle payload, that is when towing in 5th becomes an issue. As a guide that is.

timbar
13th April 2011, 12:15 AM
what is the towing capacity of the GU then??

Bob
13th April 2011, 07:50 AM
I tow a Jayco Dove which is kitted out with all my Camping Gear, 70 Litres of Water and 40 Litres of Fuel in 5th Gear on level roads but change down on slight inclines. My Car is a 98 GU and I have a suspicion that the 5th Gear has been Fixed as the Truck has Electric Brakes and was used for towing Horse Floats. Has done 280,000 K's

speedway
14th April 2011, 01:25 PM
I tow in 5th all the time. My MQ had nearly 600,000K's on the clock when I sold it, it was used to tow my speedway car for many years all up weight of car trailer and spares would have been around 2.5-3 tonne, this job was taken over by my GQ ute with no problems in 5th gear. 4th gear is the one that has gone in the GQ at nearly 400,000 k's.
Keith.

dads tractor
18th May 2011, 10:18 PM
I did the spline in my 2000 td4.2 at 55k rang nissan roadside assist and they told me to keep going in 4th to Alice 300 ks away and drove it for a week till parts arrived. The gearbox was striped new shaft sychros and bearings all under extended warranty and knowing the dealer principle well didnt hurt. I regularly towed at $130 in the nt (camper tinnie on top)

Boagie
24th May 2011, 10:48 PM
hey dx-----the load has been expanded to about600kg pop top and probably about 200 kg in tray!!!!

How loaded up is your ute gunna be?

the ferret
24th May 2011, 11:13 PM
I had an MK, sd33T and towed a 3/4 ton of boat to Exmouth, half way there stripped 5th gear. The early GUs were weak in the fifth gear but the later ones were modified at the factory I believe.
I now have a 98 GU 2.8 tdi and NEVER tow in 5th.

Boagie
25th May 2011, 09:49 PM
I had an MK, sd33T and towed a 3/4 ton of boat to Exmouth, half way there stripped 5th gear. The early GUs were weak in the fifth gear but the later ones were modified at the factory I believe.
I now have a 98 GU 2.8 tdi and NEVER tow in 5th.
are you saying that you drive thousands of kms in 4th??????----i think on the flats etc it should be ok?????--surely

the ferret
25th May 2011, 09:57 PM
I think what causes the damage, is the "push pull" action of the trailer.,
If you stay in 4th gear, there is less load on all components in the drive train, and pushing along with a heavy load in 5th can only use more fuel.
I only use 5th on the flat or downward slopes, other than that, it's 4th.

dassloth
30th May 2011, 10:37 PM
hello the ferret, what about unloaded driving around town can that damage 5th gear if used at say 70kph?

the ferret
30th May 2011, 10:51 PM
hello the ferret, what about unloaded driving around town can that damage 5th gear if used at say 70kph?
Not as far as I am concerned, as long as it's not "lugging" in 5th, but it's better at higher speeds, you would still be in 4th at 70ks/h.

growler2058
31st August 2011, 06:24 PM
Here's an ol thread I thought I wouldn't use as I got the almighty GQ but...........waiting for it hahAhaha But the ok mans gone and got a 2006 GU td42t with a 100k aporox on the clock and is gunna use it to tow a 3t van. Now he's not a silly old bugger (totally anyway) and has towed 25ft boats around plenty. But he's been told by someone not to tow in 5th?? I'd av thought on the flat would be ok but as above drop back when it labors

Evolution
1st September 2011, 10:16 AM
In the owners manual of pretty much every manual 4WD it expressly says that you should not tow in 5th gear (porbably to escape paying for boxes under warranty). Some vehicles handle it better than others, but that series of GU definately had issues.
I've had to rebuild/replace many GU, Landcruiser, Courier/B series boxes after 5th let go. Normally after towing heavy loads, but one '99 GU I did had blown 5th after towing a 12' tinny with about 200kg of luggage in it. Pretty much every trans workshop will rebuild these boxes with a stronger 5th gear set up.

speedway
1st September 2011, 09:57 PM
If I bought a new heavy 4WD vehicle which the Patrol is and was told not to tow in 5th the sale would fall through immediately.
Keith.

Evolution
2nd September 2011, 12:45 AM
If you have an owners manual handy, see if it's in there in the towing section for your model of Patrol.

I wonder how a new/used car sales person would answer if they were asked the question about towing in 5th.

Boagie
2nd September 2011, 12:26 PM
i towed a 600+kg pop top camper with a load of probably 500kgs on tray along with two full tanks of diesel in the old girl,she didnt miss a beat doing 5000ks with some mighty hills,on which i was back to 4th ,and then if i pulled 5th going down the other side,i would drive/ accelarate all the way to the bottom,thus not allowing the weight to load the box,diff etc with foward twist/ torque,which apparantly puts more load than anything!?---i think it all comes down to driving smart and listening to your engine!!!----does anyone agree???????????

Sir Roofy
2nd September 2011, 04:14 PM
i towed a 600+kg pop top camper with a load of probably 500kgs on tray along with two full tanks of diesel in the old girl,she didnt miss a beat doing 5000ks with some mighty hills,on which i was back to 4th ,and then if i pulled 5th going down the other side,i would drive/ accelarate all the way to the bottom,thus not allowing the weight to load the box,diff etc with foward twist/ torque,which apparantly puts more load than anything!?---i think it all comes down to driving smart and listening to your engine!!!----does anyone agree???????????

well after reading all this fantastic advice
it still comes back to common sence and listening to your motor
and driving to the conditions of your loaded vehicle yes id agree with you

stock patrol
18th January 2012, 03:44 PM
It's pretty much all explained in the links, cobber.

There was a small production run of 5 Speed boxes where the splines were not fully machined for 5th gear. Obviosly it took a while for the failures to occur and when the did Nissan replaced the faulty components.

I think the problem was very late 90's to very early 2000's but not exactly sure

All was OK prior and since

a friend of mine has a gu 4.5 petrol. she isnadament that they told her not to put it into 5th below 80klh. is this right. mine is 2002 series 2 does this one have the crook box

bundy4127
24th January 2012, 11:56 PM
Can't see why you would want to risk it. If 4th is bullet proof, why wouldn't you use it.

ilovebeer
26th January 2012, 12:09 AM
great...i got the 2000 model and am pulling a 12x5 trailer that will be loaded up to its 2t capacit...I dont wanna be driving 4100km's to Darwin in 4th gear?

Has it been a problem towing in 5th ? as I have a 2000 mdl aswell and looking at doing some big ks with about a couple of ton at least, is there anything I can check before I drive? I had a navara that I towed a trailer in 5th for about 5 years with no probs,

ilovebeer
26th January 2012, 12:16 AM
Is gearbox different in 2000 4.2 diesel to 2004 4.8 petrol? my mate tows in his 4.8 in 5th no probs , do I need to look out in the 4.2?

bazz61
4th February 2012, 02:42 PM
gidday, ive towed a 2 ton van plus my dx ute 2000 4.2 non turbo was loaded to 400 kgs, from Vic to Wa , i found in 5th it overheated, i used 5th only in tail winds, or down hill, havn't had any problems yet, heading to Pilbara when it cools down a bit , towing in 4th i sit on 80 to 90 and don't have much power to spare ,ut at least i get there, get about 400ks from main tank, cheers Bazz Margret river

Boagie
3rd April 2012, 12:09 PM
hey bazz,re it getting hot in 5th...have you had your cooling system flushed and reverse flushed and put some quality coolant in her????

bazz61
7th April 2012, 11:24 PM
gidday , yep had system overhauled, still gets hot in 5th , just drive to conditions...

AB
2nd October 2018, 08:08 PM
Hmm thread dig but I can't find any additional info.

So the story is for me owning a 1990 GQ I do not have the weak 5th spline?

Towing my 2 tonne van I always kept in 4th but with my 4:6 ratios its screaming trying to keep at 100kmh let alone 110. Sweet spot seemed to be at 2600rpm at 90-95kmh but that's a hindrance to traffic. 100kmh was around 2800 and 105, 3000, etc.

I did a test yesterday coming back from the NSW border and 5th gear the whole way back on flats and downhills (some slight inclines) with RPM at 2200-2400 at 100-110kmh and it loved it, temps, EGT's and keeping up with the traffic.

Hoping thats ok?

Obviously read conditions and drop it back on hills, etc but I have never done that towing that kind of weight but it seemed to love it!

Overtaking softy 200 series owner Nomads saving on fuel with their 45 foot van felt good too with the old beast...lol

Rossco
2nd October 2018, 10:03 PM
Yeah thought about that too, even not towing with increased performance from the old td pretty much pull up even the biggest hills in 5th and must put much more strain on things than standard. Thinking about the 5th gear upgrade from Mark's maybe one day as even in 5th feels like it's legs could be longer at 100 and especially 110. . Think that gives increase in strength i think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
2nd October 2018, 10:17 PM
With the fuel pump and turbo upgrade i reckon my 5th is stronger. Ive changed diff ratuos too so the rev range under load is in our fa our now AB lagging at 2000 at 100kmh is average and causes over heating and maybe stress on the 5th.

I towed from the Murray with the camper in 5th on cruise at 115 all the way homw. Up hill ans down hill, it didnt feel a thing.

GQtdauto
2nd October 2018, 10:19 PM
On our recent trip if the wind was in our favour speed was only limited by where we were ,I managed 120 on the way to Katherine at 2100 rpm that's in overdrive with the torque lock on .
Most of the trip I just drove it overdrive off and torque lock on but I was getting 100 k at 2650 rpm , motor overheated once into a headwind between Balgo and the Tanami track at about 80k although it never happened again .
So if it's an easy run top gear no trouble if into a head wind or up a hill definitely OD off .

mudski
3rd October 2018, 08:00 AM
Yeah thought about that too, even not towing with increased performance from the old td pretty much pull up even the biggest hills in 5th and must put much more strain on things than standard. Thinking about the 5th gear upgrade from Mark's maybe one day as even in 5th feels like it's legs could be longer at 100 and especially 110. . Think that gives increase in strength i think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yeah I've been looking at getting that 5th gear upgrade for mine. Doing 2450rpm at 100ks. A tad too high for my liking.

AB just dont flog it through the hilly areas. The first towing trip to Merimbula after the TD transplant I stayed in 5th a lot, only because I now had the power to tow and stay in 5th and round up anyone in front of me. The issue was, when slowing into towns and having to stop. Change to 1st and move again, I couldn't, I really struggle to get any gears. The gearbox got that hot the gear box oil was black like engine oil.

Lessen learnt. Use 5th but dont abuse 5th.

Romeo
10th July 2019, 07:26 PM

I towed 2.5 tonne for about 1000km....on a 2000 y61 4.2 5 speed manual patrol....5th gear gone....