PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 OFFROAD HITCHES

threedogs
28th September 2015, 10:34 AM
I have on my camper an O'brien offroad coupling full 360 articulation.
Not too bad when it comes time to hook up either. Thinking of trying
a Tregg style poly block hitch, is anyone running one and what do they think of it.?

TimE
28th September 2015, 10:47 AM
I have a Treg hitch on my Kimberley Kamper. Works fine, no issues, I lubricate the "peg hole" with silicon spray, if you use grease your duds will wear it :).

Hooking up is best done with the aid of a reversing camera or good guide, with practice it is pretty easy to do.

I'm happy with it. Having said that my newly ordered Vista RV Crossover will come with a DO35 hitch :)

Winnie
28th September 2015, 10:51 AM
I've got the Treg on my camper and no issues at all

jack
28th September 2015, 11:04 AM
Treg Hitch on the Jayco Eagle, very happy with it.

threedogs
28th September 2015, 11:16 AM
Yeah I have silicon grease thats white/clear wont be taking it this trip
as I want to fit my water tank /pump etc to my camper.

the evil twin
28th September 2015, 11:20 AM
I travel by myself and use a McHitch Auto Coupler on my 2 tonne van and they are the ducks guts... don't need an assistant and don't even need a camera once you get your eyelines sorted

Wouldn't touch a Treg style with a bargepole nowadays

http://www.mchitch.com.au/#!automatic-couplers/c1k6h

mudski
28th September 2015, 10:43 PM
I have the treg polyblock style and its a pita to hook up if your not spot on and the ground is too difficult for you to maneuver the camper too line it up.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
29th September 2015, 06:10 AM
Love the tregs.
The biggest bonus in my eyes about the tregs is the pins interlock. So IF the block fails, the trailer will never part company, it'll be bloody noisy but still attached.

BigRAWesty
29th September 2015, 06:14 AM
I have the treg polyblock style and its a pita to hook up if your not spot on and the ground is too difficult for you to maneuver the camper too line it up.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
One thing I've noticed is the genuine tregs have a shamfer on the leading edge tip and bottom. This makes the initial entry much easier and you don't have to be spot on level and it'll still slide in.
Most the after market ones I've seen are square edged so maybe have a look into that.

BigRAWesty
29th September 2015, 06:15 AM
I travel by myself and use a McHitch Auto Coupler on my 2 tonne van and they are the ducks guts... don't need an assistant and don't even need a camera once you get your eyelines sorted

Wouldn't touch a Treg style with a bargepole nowadays

http://www.mchitch.com.au/#!automatic-couplers/c1k6h
Still relying very heavily on that one point in the hitch to hold up.

threedogs
29th September 2015, 06:44 AM
Must admit those Mchitch are very well designed they have redesigned them since the first ones.
great use of a "uni" too

Tonks
29th September 2015, 06:55 AM
I've got the Hyland hitch on my camper, attaches to a 50mm ball, so no need to change anything on the tow vehicle, works a treat.

threedogs
29th September 2015, 08:03 AM
I've got the Hyland hitch on my camper, attaches to a 50mm ball, so no need to change anything on the tow vehicle, works a treat.
Got a pic ???

Cuppa
29th September 2015, 08:10 AM
Tvan has a DO35 hitch & I find it the easiest hitch I’ve used. There is a newer Mk2 DO35 available which is similar in design but with an additional dust cover. If buying new that’s what I’d go for, but as it is can’t see much reason to change what I have.

threedogs
29th September 2015, 08:13 AM
is it similar to the Mc hitch Cuppa
When i was reseaching off road couplings one guy said why?
He said you'll get enough movement from from a 50mm ball lol

Cuppa
29th September 2015, 08:27 AM
is it similar to the Mc hitch Cuppa

Similar. Different locking mechanisms. My one also has a handbrake lever attached

(image ‘borrowed’ from a MySwag forum post)

Rock Trol
29th September 2015, 08:56 AM
I have a trig and a treg on camper and trailer. Work really well apart from hitching on un even ground. Then its a pita. I have bought a McHitch adapter for it and I think it will be easier as I can lower the unit on the pin like a toe ball. First outing with it this weekend coming up. I would not bother with the poly blocks now. Get something more modern.

threedogs
29th September 2015, 09:52 AM
Im happy with the O'brien hitch as I can line up my camper easy in my mirrors ,
All I need is a bit of movement around 3" either way to be able to hook it up.
I would like to up date but not sure its really worth it ATM

kevin07
29th September 2015, 10:13 AM
tregg hitch pain in the freckle don't rely on anyone to help you. better doing it yourself so as I said pain in the freckle I'm up for a mac

the evil twin
29th September 2015, 01:10 PM
Similar. Different locking mechanisms. My one also has a handbrake lever attached

(image ‘borrowed’ from a MySwag forum post)

Thats the 'old' McHitch.
I had one for a while and they are on par with the others of that design and most variations quite good in their own right

The new style McHitch Auto Couplers are wicked easier.
I am soooo happy I 'upgraded'

Cuppa
29th September 2015, 01:27 PM
Thats the 'old' McHitch.
I had one for a while and they are on par with the others of that design and most variations quite good in their own right

The new style McHitch Auto Couplers are wicked easier.
I am soooo happy I 'upgraded'

The ‘auto’ ones do look good ... just watched a video on them. I could be tempted if I ever need a replacement.

Quite amazing how many different designs there are to do what is basically a pretty simple task.

jack
29th September 2015, 01:49 PM
Just had a look at the McHitch they do look good.
Only time I had issues hooking up with the Treg was when I was trying to back down a slope, PITA to get the height right. Luckily roofy was there to assist.

the evil twin
29th September 2015, 02:41 PM
The ‘auto’ ones do look good ... just watched a video on them. I could be tempted if I ever need a replacement.

Quite amazing how many different designs there are to do what is basically a pretty simple task.

ROFL... yeah, I know what you mean.

I went the Auto because I travel alone and my Van rig is miles too heavy to "muscle" onto the hitch IE it needs to be all but spot on with the others styles.

People with lighter rigs or 'helpers' don't have the same issues as it usually means either easy peasy or divorce court...

katwoman
26th October 2015, 11:34 PM
We have the articulated 50mm ball design.. When you have more than one tow vehicle, it's great. And any one can tow it.

http://www.trailerwarehouse.com.au/contents/media/l_HYD01%20Pressed%20Steel%20Body%20(3).JPG

BigRAWesty
27th October 2015, 01:08 PM
We have the articulated 50mm ball design.. When you have more than one tow vehicle, it's great. And any one can tow it.

http://www.trailerwarehouse.com.au/contents/media/l_HYD01%20Pressed%20Steel%20Body%20(3).JPG
Pretty sure I read somewhere that they have a very limited tow ball weight. Like not even 100kg ' s. .

the evil twin
27th October 2015, 01:28 PM
Pretty sure I read somewhere that they have a very limited tow ball weight. Like not even 100kg ' s. .

Bit strange (read useless) but you could be right for some manuf.
Hyland make different rated versions certainly so they should be OK.

threedogs
27th October 2015, 04:18 PM
When I first started looking at these "off road " hitches, one trailer place said why.
You're not towing up Billy Goat and a 50mm ball will have all the articulation you will need 4x4ing.
With the O'Brien I'm happy and only a one man job to hook up. Just a smear of silicon grease every
now and then and a few pumps of the grease gun, Probable would be better with two tapered bearings
but works a treat and for $150 very affordable

Rock Trol
27th October 2015, 05:12 PM
I have a trig and a treg on camper and trailer. Work really well apart from hitching on un even ground. Then its a pita. I have bought a McHitch adapter for it and I think it will be easier as I can lower the unit on the pin like a toe ball. First outing with it this weekend coming up. I would not bother with the poly blocks now. Get something more modern.

Tested out on s trip during the long weekend. So easy compared to trig/treg. Was on uneven ground and easily hooked up by my self. Camper was on a slope so car came in at an angle that would have given problems without the mchitch.

Rossko07
27th October 2015, 10:07 PM
Got an orac coupling myself & its held up great for more then 10 years! On my next trailer I'm having a d035 fitted. Can't say much for the others.