PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap questions

brooks
3rd April 2011, 05:54 PM
I was wandering if anyone had done an engine change over and what prblems you may have come come across and how difficult it was to pass the pits.

YNOT
3rd April 2011, 06:04 PM
I was wandering if anyone had done an engine change over and what prblems you may have come come across and how difficult it was to pass the pits.

That all depends on what engine is coming out and what engine is going in. Going to need a bit more information to help you.

Tony

Edit, I moved your question here to a more relevant section.

brooks
24th April 2011, 08:56 PM
A bit slow getting back, but it's a gu 98/2000 2.8t & the same hopefully going in. Head is cracked between the valves at #6 cylinder, decided to change the whole engine out rather than try to repair.

Finly Owner
24th April 2011, 09:17 PM
Ynot is on hols at mo. he will be able to tell you of any known tricks when he returns

Tim

brooks
18th May 2011, 11:43 AM
Seems like this engine isn't going to appear, so we will have to re think, getting rather bored with this beast just sitting in my garage.

growler2058
18th May 2011, 12:38 PM
Could go a gen3 conversion!! Thatd be tuff!! Or the GM 6.4 v8 diesel

gec
18th May 2011, 01:28 PM
No good at all asking me which way I would vote as I am very biased, hehe

the ferret
18th May 2011, 02:03 PM
Hi Mate, if you didn't cook it and it doesn't burn oil, just put a new head on it.

MQ MAD
19th May 2011, 11:40 AM
Whats the budget ???
As mentioned you could just wack a new head on it
But itll still cost a few K, depending

Most with this delema , either
Patch and unload or spend up on an underpowered 2.8
Injected 5 litre , although some now consider ol hat
Still develop a sheeeeeet load more power than the 2.8 and probably the same on the juice

YNOT
19th May 2011, 02:10 PM
A bit slow getting back, but it's a gu 98/2000 2.8t & the same hopefully going in. Head is cracked between the valves at #6 cylinder, decided to change the whole engine out rather than try to repair.

If you are just doing a same for same engine swap then all you have to do is advise your local transport department of the new engine number and show a reciept for the engine purchase. If you don't give them this information you will have trouble when you go to sell the vehicle and the engine number does not match the recorded number.

There are a heap of different engine options to consider if you decide against or can't get another RD28, however most if not all will require an engineers certificate.

Tony