PDA

View Full Version : Is an 80 channel uhf worth buying

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 09:27 AM
Seeing as most talk is done on anything lower than channel 40 trucks, 18 for caravans
and 10/15 for everyone else etc etc . Is it really worth having an 80 channel UHF.
I do own one but its in my camper as a home base unit.
How many acually use the higher channels??

taslucas
23rd September 2015, 09:30 AM
Aren't they around the same price anyway? Why not go the new system?

tappin from tassie

Chubba
23rd September 2015, 09:37 AM
Yes it is. Way of the future. Your not still using VHS are you threedogs, or are you?

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 09:37 AM
why would you when you communicate ok now

Chubba
23rd September 2015, 09:41 AM
Cos'.......

04OFF
23rd September 2015, 09:41 AM
I have a 80 channel unit I scored through work, but ill never bother to fit it unless my current 40 ch UHF dies.

I only really use my UHF for social outings (groups of friends in 4x4s),when in groups, you are always restricted to use 40 channels if just "one" person in the group does NOT have a 80 channel unit, I think this will be the case for many years to come, as UHFs last for years and years, and most people wont bother replacing a perfectly working UHF.

Any other time I go to use my UHF, I get the s#*ts with all the stupid chatter (ch 7 etc), so i end up turning the UHF off in favour of listening to a CD :biggrin:

Chubba
23rd September 2015, 09:57 AM
Any other time I go to use my UHF, I get the s#*ts with all the stupid chatter (ch 7 etc), so i end up turning the UHF off in favour of listening to a CD :biggrin:

One of the features of the new radios addresses that problem with each channel having the ability of being broken down into about 100 others. I don't know all the tech stuff but an agreed predetermined code set by all your party and you won't hear anyone else on that channel.

Winnie
23rd September 2015, 09:58 AM
I have an old Uniden 40ch in my car, it works perfectly so I have no need to change it.
It's never been a problem for me but if everybody I went driving with wanted to use the higher channels I would probably update.
For now I will keep what I have.

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 10:31 AM
One of my radios allows me and my friends to select as eg say channel 15.7
we can hear others but they cant interupt our conversations.
VHS ?????
Yeah why throw away a perfectly good UHF

04OFF
23rd September 2015, 11:06 AM
One of the features of the new radios addresses that problem with each channel having the ability of being broken down into about 100 others. I don't know all the tech stuff but an agreed predetermined code set by all your party and you won't hear anyone else on that channel.

Its not about getting interrupted during a conversation, its only annoying for me when im travelling by "myself" and the UHF is on "scan" mode.

In group usage, we just find a free channel at the start (with no tossers), and normally the group convoy is close together and talking so much with each other , its quite rare to get interference from other party's.

On my current UHF I can actually set it to ignore individual channels, or just scan certain channels, but in reality, its too much dicking around to set this up while driving, and say if I set it to the Trucker channel, there is often too much swearing (if you have kids in the car) and a lot of rubbish talked ,so off it goes again.

Bacho86
23rd September 2015, 01:30 PM
I have an old Uniden 40ch in my car, it works perfectly so I have no need to change it.
It's never been a problem for me but if everybody I went driving with wanted to use the higher channels I would probably update.
For now I will keep what I have.

x2 until my 40 channel unit dies, or all my mates that I go out with have an 80 channel I see no reason to change atm

sooty_10
23rd September 2015, 10:56 PM
Just reprogram the 40 ch to 80 and problem solved 😉

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Blaktop
23rd September 2015, 11:45 PM
I was told by an electronics shop guy the other day that if you have a 40ch then people on the same channel who have an 80ch won't hear you as well......sounded a bit strange to me. Maybe I was on 40 and he was on 80 and I didn't hear him properly....:)

BigRAWesty
24th September 2015, 01:35 AM
I was told by an electronics shop guy the other day that if you have a 40ch then people on the same channel who have an 80ch won't hear you as well......sounded a bit strange to me. Maybe I was on 40 and he was on 80 and I didn't hear him properly....:)
At the moment 1-40 the channels are programed the same, it's 41-80 which are different. Channel 41 is really 1.5, 42 is 2.5 etc etc.
There was talk of it changing after set time but I'm not sure if that's been dropped or not as many haven't changed to 80 channel units.
I'm with you guys. My 40 has a bit of life yet so in no rush to change.

blocko05
24th September 2015, 06:08 AM
as the old saying goes, if it aint broke don't fix it. If you are happy with your equipment and it does what you want then why change it.
I read an Oricon statement once that said the band width signals will be getting narrower and that's why people will need to use more channels so a 80 channel unit was the way to go.

BigRAWesty
24th September 2015, 10:01 AM
as the old saying goes, if it aint broke don't fix it. If you are happy with your equipment and it does what you want then why change it.
I read an Oricon statement once that said the band width signals will be getting narrower and that's why people will need to use more channels so a 80 channel unit was the way to go.
That's it. Technology no allows a channel every half frequency without cross over interference..

threedogs
24th September 2015, 10:09 AM
my Icom jr i30[hand held 2 watt] has all those inbetween channels like channel 15.1, 15.2 etc
You can hear the others but they dont interfere with with who ever Im talking to.
Might be better off off putting my 27meg CB dick smith Hornet 2 back in, and
use upper and lower side band. Who knows might have all the channels to myself.

Chubba
24th September 2015, 02:01 PM

Nearly...... It's actually the othe way round. 80 sounds softer on the receiving 40.

GQ TANK
23rd December 2015, 10:10 AM
The 80 channel is a lot softer, when received on a 40. And the 40 channel is a lot louder when received on a 80.

The first 40 channels on the 80 channel cb are the same as a 40 channel. The second 40 channels are interspersed between the first 40. Ie channel 41 is between channel 1 & 2. This is accomplished by narrowing the the channel from 25 khz spacing to 12.5 khz.

A comparison is using 50mm water pipe compared to 25 mm water pipe, with the same pump and pressure you will get twice as much water though th 50mm pipe

Reprogramming older cbs to 80 channels. Depending on the design it might not be possible. The channel s could be in a 1 time program chip, the design might not have the correct devider to work at 12.5 khz spacing and the front end filters might not work correctly

Another option for the 40 channel rigs, is to reduce the transmitter deviation. This would give you a 40 channel rig compatible with the 80 channels rigs, using the first 40 channels

NigeP62
23rd December 2015, 10:52 AM
Taking this a little further.
If you don't currently have a radio would you be better buying an 80ch over a 40ch.
I'm guessing yes.

mudnut
23rd December 2015, 11:38 AM
I have found the newer 5 watt 80 channel uniden unit I have has a way better range than my old 40 channel 5w one, so I am glad I upgraded. I have had no problems communicating with any of the 40 and 80 channel units in any convoy I have taken part in.

threedogs
23rd December 2015, 11:39 AM
Yes would be the answer ,but I dont see the point really as we only use a couple of channels as it is now.
being 10,15 and possibly 18. So why would I want an 80 channel radio, just saying.lol

ForgeCreekFerals4x4
23rd December 2015, 01:39 PM
ive got an older style 40ch in the pooey and 80ch in the toyota, im hearin the not usin many channels thing, and the uniden 80 channel is probably 3 years old and is starting to occasionally play up. the older gme 40 ch is waterproof and is still going strong haha, i dont see the use for an extra 40 channels, maybe just more choices for channels without other people on them haha. All the same, i wont be upgrading the patrols uhf until the one it has now finally cooks it! :thumbup:

TimE
23rd December 2015, 01:48 PM
Sold my old 40 for more than I paid for it, have 2 X 80 channel s, one on scan and the other to communicate with the convoy. If all have 80s we pick a high channel for convoy traffic, the nobs don't seem to be there yet!

mudnut
23rd December 2015, 01:54 PM
Also great to have the 80 channels so I can find a clear channel to use it with the cheap pair of Oricom handhelds, when being guided by a spotter and winching.

threedogs
23rd December 2015, 05:15 PM
I have a brand new 80 channel job sitting here doing nothing,
It was fitted in my camper and used as a homebase radio,
now I think Ill re fit it in the Patrol if I can find room, maybe inside the
2nd glove box, just dont know where I could fit it

mudnut
23rd December 2015, 05:29 PM
I have a brand new 80 channel job sitting here doing nothing,
It was fitted in my camper and used as a homebase radio,
now I think Ill re fit it in the Patrol if I can find room, maybe inside the
2nd glove box, just dont know where I could fit it