PDA

View Full Version : Water storage under neath the camper

threedogs
21st September 2015, 05:40 PM
Hi again changing my water set up so I can have water under my camper to better balance it.
way too front heavy. I PM'ed a few ppl but got no reply so for the VIC ppl especially around
Melb where can i buy one of those 59- 82 litre black caravan style water tanks.
59 is a bit small Id prefer the 82 lt model, my sheetie guy will be making the brackets

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARAVAN-CAMPER-TRAILER-FRESH-WATER-TANK-59-LITRE-UNDERBODY-MOTORHOME-RV-4WD-/170611196071?hash=item27b93840a7.

When I have this tank fitted I'll have a 55litre
Dolium tank that fits across the rear floor for sale.
I also have a BN 55lt water bladder for sale too that I dont need anymore
never used just cleaned to get the smell out

Bloodyaussie
21st September 2015, 05:45 PM
Sorry mate I am hopless... I will ask tomorrow about a water tank.

Cuppa
21st September 2015, 06:03 PM
Told ya b4 ........... get a custom made job from Award Tanks. It’ll cost about the same as an off the shelf item even with freight, will be tougher & will be made to your supplied dimensions.

http://www.awardtanks.com.au Phone the owner Mick, he’s a good bloke.

Disclaimer - just a happy customer.

threedogs
21st September 2015, 06:12 PM
Thanks again Cuppa Ive emailed about a 90 litre job or if he has a STD size about that size
we'll see Tank atm is $170 with brackets,
thats 90kg that will help balance up my trailer

Cuppa
21st September 2015, 06:41 PM
If you do end up using one of ubiquitous black plastic tanks do make sure that it is very well supported over it’s entire base. We had two of 82 litre ones in the bus & use on rough roads eventually saw one spring a leak on the rear edge right in the middle. All attempts to repair failed & a replacement tank was needed. The only cause could have been ‘plastic fatigue’ from where the tank was able to flex a little. Although protected from flying rocks by a curtain of conveyor belt material in front of it, it was only ‘hung’ in place by two metal straps. When fitting the replacement I added sheets of waterproof ply under each tank & never had any further problems.
It’s probably obvious to you to use high tensile bolts, but it wasn’t to the person who originally fitted our tanks. On one occasion I had the ‘original’ (not high tensile) bolts let go dropping a full tank onto the road & dragged. Luckily I picked the noise quickly & stopped whilst it was still being pulled along on the metal straps. Thankfully I was quite close to home at the time & all I lost was a full tank of water & a lot of time.

threedogs
21st September 2015, 06:55 PM
My sheetie owes me one and will fold up a 1.2mm gal cradle
for the tank.
Mick better be quick with his reply as really want this up and going in the next few weeks.
Might have to call in some mates to make it happen, Im useless atm lol
As for the bolts I have laser offcuts of 100mm circles which will hold the load great
as washers . I always look for usefull off cuts

Bob
21st September 2015, 07:05 PM
Whats wrong with Drinking the Water out of the Murray LMAO

AB
21st September 2015, 07:06 PM
As Cuppa mentioned x2 with the plastics needing support underneath but also on the front side.

You almost need a sheet of bent aluminium or steel like a bash plate on your car.

When I bought my camper the previous owner had marine ply just on the base of the tank which worked well but one trip going through the last creek crossing at woods point a log was submersed with a branch sticking up and the branch wedge between the front of the tank on the side in-between the bracket and tore it to shreds.

AB
21st September 2015, 07:08 PM
Whats wrong with Drinking the Water out of the Murray LMAO I drank water at big river by accident on one of our first meet ups, do you remember what happened to me?

Bum wees for 2 days and we camped 400m from the drop toilets

That was a great trip!!!

Bob
21st September 2015, 07:14 PM
Before we had the Luxury of Camper Vans , Camper Trailers & Caravans with their own Water Supplies we,
boiled Water from the Murray in a Beer Keg. Let it cool and the used for Cooking and Drinking

threedogs
21st September 2015, 07:15 PM
I drank water at big river by accident on one of our first meet ups, do you remember what happened to me?

Bum wees for 2 days and we camped 400m from the drop toilets

That was a great trip!!!

You must be very fit lol give Kathy Freeman a run for her money I bet LOL
no pun intended

AB
21st September 2015, 07:39 PM
You must be very fit lol give Kathy Freeman a run for her money I bet LOL no pun intended I couldn't make it John and ended up in the river unfortunately ;)

threedogs
22nd September 2015, 10:44 AM
Know the feeling only too well just couldnt quite make it but you get that on the big jobs.
@ Cuppa Mick replied to my email and does not have any stock sizes all are custom,
So I gave him 1200 x 500 x 200 mm as a basic size I think this works out at 120 ltr
could be wrong,
I really need to get under the camper and measure inbetween the ribs.
Might change it to 1000mm x 500mm x 200mm we'll see

Winnie
22nd September 2015, 10:50 AM
1200 x 500 x 200 mm as a basic size I think this works out at 120 ltr

Yes that's right John.

threedogs
22nd September 2015, 12:07 PM
I bit big for my needs so I think 100 ltrs of water would be perfect even for
any extended trips, and 100kg will balance the trailer that much better

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 01:26 PM
Well I received my quote for a 120 litre fresh water tank 120cm x 50cm x20cm,
No doubt they make a quality item but at $290 plus freight I think I'll pass.
I can buy a black plastic caravan style tank that holds 82 ltres with a full skid plate mount
kit for $180.
If I was using it a bit more maybe I could be tempted, but I seem to be
using my camper less and less lately

Cuppa
23rd September 2015, 01:48 PM
Just as well you didn’t get a quote from Atlas Tanks TD! When I had my tank made by Award (880 x 760 x 250 - 160 litres with breathers, two inlets & two outlets - one a 40mm opening with an ‘o’ ring sealed screw top for filling with a jerry or funnel) cost was $320 + $70 freight in 2012. Quotes from Atlas (& a few others) for exactly the same design were all around double that at around the $900 mark.

The black plastic one will do the job if well supported & protected from flying rocks though. If it does get damaged/spring a leak - forget trying to repair it - just replace. I’d use one again if it fitted the space I wanted to put it in.

For the future reference for others the Award Tanks have a double skin top (can withstand being knelt on) & have internal baffles to reduce unwanted weight shifting of their contents. They are made of thick HDPE which is readily heat welded should a repair ever be required. They also make a few ‘standard’ sizes which are a little cheaper.

katwoman
23rd September 2015, 03:37 PM
Why don't you go to a caravan repairer and get a second hand one ? They usually have that type of stuff. Any size.

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 03:57 PM
@ Cuppa this is the one I'll probably end up getting, pretty well protected'
At 82kg plus the cover that will give me abit more ballast to balance out the trailer'
Damn just remembered I was selling my 55lt Dolium tank, fits across the front of a 6x4 trailer
or across the back of a tub, its the grey tank in my 2010 Hilux Tub

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360707874734?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT