PDA

View Full Version : Refilling small Coleman Propane Bottle

NissanGQ4.2
20th September 2015, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know of any of the camping stores refill the Coleman Propane Bottles like this one in the link:

https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/coleman-lightweight-lpg-propane-bottle-cartridge-green

Cheers

Toddie

threedogs
20th September 2015, 03:27 PM
I thought they were disposable,
read the bottom of the link
NON FILLABLE

Cuppa
20th September 2015, 03:49 PM
Looks the same as the BernzOmatic bottle I have for a gas torch, has a schrader valve on the top, which makes it look like it should be re-fillable, but as TD notes, the ad says different. I’d been wondering tha same thing about my bottle.

NissanGQ4.2
20th September 2015, 03:58 PM
I thought they were disposable,
read the bottom of the link
NON FILLABLE

I didn't read that but I know I can illegally refill them from my lpg bottle if I had the right fittings but wondered if they could legally be done from a shop, seems a shame to be throwing out metal bottles and would be good 2 empty my 4.5kg bottle into the small ones when it is getting low

NissanGQ4.2
20th September 2015, 03:59 PM
Looks the same as the BernzOmatic bottle I have for a gas torch, has a schrader valve on the top, which makes it look like it should be re-fillable, but as TD notes, the ad says different. I’d been wondering tha same thing about my bottle.

I watched a you tube vid of one being refilled and no gas comes out that valve either so don't know what its purpose is

lucus30
20th September 2015, 06:14 PM
They are plastic not metal. You can fill them from 9kg bottle using a thing called a maccoupler but it's illegal. Masters has the cylinders for $9 so wouldn't bother to be honest

b7rendan
20th September 2015, 06:34 PM
Safety first hey.....

the evil twin
20th September 2015, 06:35 PM
Does anyone know of any of the camping stores refill the Coleman Propane Bottles like this one in the link:

https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/coleman-lightweight-lpg-propane-bottle-cartridge-green

Cheers

Toddie

No retail mob does it to my knowledge.
Wouldn't be profitable regardless of legalities

I carry (and have from time to time used) a Maccoupler that I bought several years ago.
The Coleman bottle I have is metal not plastic but again I bought it years ago

NissanGQ4.2
20th September 2015, 07:16 PM
Cheers guys

My bottles are metal 2 ET, I have about 12 of them

Think I might see if I can get a Maccoupler, I like doing illegal dangerous stuff :)

blocko05
20th September 2015, 08:19 PM
for the sake of $10 why bother taking the risk.

NissanGQ4.2
20th September 2015, 08:26 PM
for the sake of $10 why bother taking the risk.

Is it really a risk? I don't see a risk we just live in a nanny country. Can't ever say I've heard of someone blowing themselves up from refilling a gas bottle.

And if I don't fill them up I'd be more inclined to throw the empty bottle in the camp fire.

mjr350
20th September 2015, 08:32 PM
Been filling for years. You can buy an adaptor on ebay.
Put empties in freezer over night, invert 9kg and attach empty cylinder. Open valve and wait until the flow stops.
The little reverse schrader valve is a pressure release and wont allow for over pressure.
Fill away

threedogs
21st September 2015, 08:43 AM
Cheers guys

My bottles are metal 2 ET, I have about 12 of them

Think I might see if I can get a Maccoupler, I like doing illegal dangerous stuff :)

Its only illegal if if you get caught,, Just do it, lol

I have used these in the past and just throw them away when empty
I did buy some kind of adaptor to suit my burner from K-mart,
carefull you dont cross thread it ,its a very fine thread

jack
21st September 2015, 09:05 AM
Here you go, heaps on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MacCoupler-EZ-Propane-Refill-Adapter-REFILL-YOUR-OWN-1-LB-TANKS-/161312351279?hash=item258ef7242f

threedogs
21st September 2015, 05:00 PM
Going to buy one of these and start using the cannisters again, they were my favourite.
small ,cheap and give a few hours of cooking
Just need the AUS$ to improve lol

NissanGQ4.2
21st September 2015, 05:23 PM
Here you go, heaps on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MacCoupler-EZ-Propane-Refill-Adapter-REFILL-YOUR-OWN-1-LB-TANKS-/161312351279?hash=item258ef7242f

Thanks, I did find some on ebay from overseas but not anone with 100% feedback.

Was hoping 2 find one the same but 2 fit my 4.5kg camping bottle but haven't had any luck finding one :(